Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Natural Rubber from SW US Desert Plant - Guayule
This episode of Around Farm Progress connects with a Bridgestone-Firestone official who discusses a new U.S. based source for natural rubber – guayule.
Willie Vogt | Mar 25, 2022

Consider where your tires come from – tractors, trucks, cars, combines. Natural rubber is basically sourced from only one part of the world – Southeast Asia. And while the region has been a steady supplier over the years, there have been breaks in the supply chain in the past. Add in challenges with the supply chain today and the question comes up: Is there an alternative source?

The short answer is 'yes' but the longer answer is that it will take time. It turns out the bark of a desert plant called guayule – pronounced "y-you-lee" – is a source for natural rubber. It grows well in the desert Southwest of the United States, and at least one tire maker – Bridgestone-Firestone – is at work on developing the plant as a new domestic source of natural rubber.

In the Around Farm Progress podcast, we learn more about this fascinating plant. How it grows. What opportunity it brings farmers. And it's potential for producing with less water and boosting soil health at the same time. Oh, and after it gets past a certain age it doesn't even need insecticide. Sound too good to be true? David Dierig, manager of agro operations for Bridgestone-Firestone offers insight on the product, its development, and the company's plans for the future. The company has a website focused on development of the product too.

https://www.bridgestone.com/technology_i...r/guayule/
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

This is very interesting. I wonder how the cost of a guayule-rubber tire would compare with a petroleum-rubber tire.

In my original country (Guyana) there is the balata tree the gum of which can be used to make rubber-like products, and I wonder if any tire manufacturers ever looked into it.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro