Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ceramic coating exhaust pipe
I have been pondering the question, should I get my stock chrome exhaust powder coated?
The main reason for my pondering is athletics, the same reason I got rid of the stock muffler. I am not a huge fan of chrome on exhausts but can live with it.
I don't need a not cat pipe and realize the engineering (and restrictions) that went into its manufacture. No aftermarket header needed.

I can get it done for $20/ft Canadian. I think it works out to around 6ft.
http://www.koolcoatceramiccoatings.com/e...tings.html

I figure black may work with the lupin blue RS but I would prefer a silver or silver metallic.
http://www.koolcoatceramiccoatings.com/h...tings.html
The only drawbacks for me would be if the coating would diss-colour from heat and fitting the muffler and flapper valve after the coating has been applied.
Your thoughts?
R&D department
(03-31-2022, 08:52 PM)maxredline Wrote: Your thoughts?

No getting around the fact that a major problem is that the stock exhaust is enormous. Powdercoating won't help that and will likely make it stand out even more.
(04-01-2022, 06:30 AM)TriangleRider Wrote: No getting around the fact that a major problem is that the stock exhaust is enormous. Powdercoating won't help that and will likely make it stand out even more.

I disagree ... at $120 powdercoating it is a heck of a lot cheaper than the cheapest aftermarket muffler, and even if he did it as a first shot it would not be a waste of money.

There are some of us (I am one) who think that the lines of the stock exhaust are just fine, nice even. Its all that chrome that I didn't really care for. Yes, it is big but you would be surprised, its weight is not commensurate with that [fat] size. I have a video that compares it against my svelte Remus can and the difference is not significant when one considers I am probably 40# overweight (for a little perspective here).

On the colour - I agree that silver or silver metallic would be much nicer. Only last night I was looking at the K1600B that a friend has and was admiring that silver metallic finish on its muffler. I don't think that it would discolour due to heat since I think that the muffler does have an "outer shell" for safety, and the ceramic should be able to withstand the heat (or that company linked to would not have any business).
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
(04-01-2022, 07:32 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Yes, it is big but you would be surprised, its weight is not commensurate with that [fat] size. I have a video that compares it against my svelte Remus can and the difference is not significant [...]

I think you have the Remus Black Hawk? That's steel & CF. Akrapovic's slip-on is Ti & CF and only 7 oz lighter than OEM. As big and obnoxious the OEM can is, it's actually not that heavy.
Craig
'20 R1250RS
Previous
: '21 R1250RS, 
'03 K1200RS, '01 R1100RS, '83 R800
(04-01-2022, 08:31 AM)Pyrrho Wrote: I think you have the Remus Black Hawk? That's steel & CF. Akrapovic's slip-on is Ti & CF and only 7 oz lighter than OEM. As big and obnoxious the OEM can is, it's actually not that heavy.

Mine is the Remus Hexacone with Carbon Fibre trim and I guess a titanium finish. Yes the original can is not that heavy which is what I was surprised to find after comparing it with my Remus after having bought it. Good thing that I got the Remus for less than 1/2 price or else I’d have been ticked. Smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
A friend and his wife have several boxer BMWs that have the headers powder coated.
Some silver and some black.
To me the silver looked better but color is always a personal choice.

If you only want to change the muffler you could look for a OEM muffler in the brushed stainless finish.

If I had been able to order or bikes with the brushed finish instead of chrome and still get the other Premium options I would have considered that.

The base R and RS have the brushed stainless muffler.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
Its the header only I am considering coating as I have a SC Project muffler.

I have been in contact with the vendor. He has a matt silver colour that may be the ticket.
I have found a near new pipe locally that I can pick up for under a C note as back up so when I sell the bike I can fit the full stock exhaust and keep the ceramic pipe and SC can for an enthusiast.
Still in the pondering stage.
SC Project can specs from web.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

R&D department
(04-01-2022, 12:31 PM)maxredline Wrote: Its the header only I am considering coating as I have a SC Project muffler.

I have been in contact with the vendor. He has a matt silver colour that may be the ticket.

Oh ... I thought it was the muffler, although I was wondering how you got to "6 ft" and I figured header but then I said "Nahhh ...".

I take back all that I said ... you're on your own, mainly because I have no knowledge of this. Big Grin

I wouldn't be surprised if it does discolour, though, given the heat. Looking forward to before and after photos, as well as some photos after a couple thousand miles. We'll learn from your experience.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(04-01-2022, 12:31 PM)maxredline Wrote: I have found a near new pipe locally that I can pick up for under a C note as back up so when I sell the bike I can fit the full stock exhaust and keep the ceramic pipe and SC can for an enthusiast.

I think that's a good point. If you can, hold on to any OEM parts you replace with aftermarket. I know when I was looking through listings for bikes if I saw they had modded it in a way I didn't care for and didn't also include the original parts or were unable to return it to stock before sale, I wasn't interested.
Craig
'20 R1250RS
Previous
(04-01-2022, 01:52 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if it does discolour, though, given the heat. Looking forward to before and after photos, as well as some photos after a couple thousand miles. We'll learn from your experience.

The friends I mentioned did not have problems with any of their headers discoloring from heat or age.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(04-01-2022, 02:38 PM)Pyrrho Wrote: I think that's a good point. If you can, hold on to any OEM parts you replace with aftermarket. I know when I was looking through listings for bikes if I saw they had modded it in a way I didn't care for and didn't also include the original parts or were unable to return it to stock before sale, I wasn't interested.

Good advice. I’m exactly the same. I would never buy a bike with serious modifications, which is a big part of why I typically only install accessories on my bikes. Best to keep the original parts and be prepared to write off the cost of the mods.

Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(04-01-2022, 04:40 PM)Lee Wrote: The friends I mentioned did not have problems with any of their headers discoloring from heat or age.

Good to know. The ceramic component must be quite effective at being heat resistant.

Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(03-31-2022, 08:52 PM)maxredline Wrote: I have been pondering the question, should I get my stock chrome exhaust powder coated?
Your thoughts?
Here a picture of my exhaust at a 130+k, I'm in the process to having it redone.

Mark
So It Goes.

SoCal USA
Mark - fixed the photos and the quote. Smile Bike still looking good!
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(04-08-2022, 02:48 PM)Mark Wrote: Here a picture of my exhaust at a 130+k, I'm in the process to having it redone.

That blue looks great, and I love that the fairing stickers are gone. Will be de-stickering mine as well.
Craig
'20 R1250RS
Previous