Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foam Cannon for Cleaning
Does anyone use a foam cannon to apply the soapy water before they start the wash process on their bikes? If so, do you have a recommendation of a brand and model that works well for you applying with a garden hose not a pressure washer?

I spent some time at a shop today that applies Xpel film and then uses Xpel ceramic coating on mostly cars. They just completed ceramic coating a motorcycle for me and told me the best way to clean a vehicle is to rinse off any heavy dirt without scrubbing and then use a foam cannon to apply an even layer of soap over the full vehicle.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

(04-18-2022, 06:19 PM)darrell Wrote: Does anyone use a foam cannon to apply the soapy water before they start the wash process on their bikes?

I do ... sometimes. Info on the foam cannon I have is in the Description of the video.

Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
I use a foam cannon for washing our motorcycles and our cars. Can't remember the brand, whatever was highly rated on Amazon. I buy cheap gallons of carwash soap at Walmart.
I ride '19 R1250GSA, '23 KTM Duke 890 R, '23 Yamaha Xmax 300
My wife rides '20 R1250GS, '22 KTM Duke 890 GP, '19 Yamaha Xmax 300
Formerly proud Granite Gray '16 R1200RS x2 owners
(04-19-2022, 06:41 AM)MrVvrroomm Wrote: I use a foam cannon for washing our motorcycles and our cars. Can't remember the brand, whatever was highly rated on Amazon. I buy cheap gallons of carwash soap at Walmart.

Functions off of hose pressure or does it require a power sprayer or auxillary air pressure?
I knocked, but the door was open.......
Central PA: 2016 Lupin RS - Keys and no TPMS
FWIW, I got this as a Christmas gift, but just haven't had a chance to use it yet. I've used a handful of products from Chemical Guys and it's good stuff (especially their micro-fiber towels). Works on just regular garden hose pressure.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/torq-foam-b...4EQAvD_BwE
KC Area
(04-19-2022, 08:26 AM)36654 Wrote: Functions off of hose pressure or does it require a power sprayer or auxillary air pressure?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078KG...UTF8&psc=1

attaches to my electric pressure washer
I ride '19 R1250GSA, '23 KTM Duke 890 R, '23 Yamaha Xmax 300
My wife rides '20 R1250GS, '22 KTM Duke 890 GP, '19 Yamaha Xmax 300
Formerly proud Granite Gray '16 R1200RS x2 owners
(04-19-2022, 09:11 AM)MrVvrroomm Wrote:
(04-19-2022, 08:26 AM)36654 Wrote: Functions off of hose pressure or does it require a power sprayer or auxillary air pressure?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078KG...UTF8&psc=1

attaches to my electric pressure washer

I see. A wee bit different than those units that appear to be repurposed Ortho Garden sprayers..........
Darrell - just out of curiosity, how much did it cost to apply the XPEL ceramic to the new bike? Did you get the 4-y or 10-y treatment?
(And I understand - yes, like a black bike, there is a heavy social and aesthetic responsibility to keep a white bike clean and glossy. You set the good example for us all.)

I realize the treatment likely saves some time on subsequent cleaning - and probably decreases adherence of bugs, but I've been really impressed with the durability of modern paint technology. How much paint fade or damage have you and Mike actually noticed after several years and well over 100,000 miles in the sun without application of a ceramic film?

(As you know, my approach to modern paint and stainless steel exhaust has been to get a little lazy. I mean, I clean the bike regularly to make sure nothing's broken or loose and to make it easy to work on, but I figure that when I get ready to sell it, it's only a $150 detailing job away from a show room finish.)
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
(04-19-2022, 11:09 AM)Ray Wrote: Darrell - just out of curiosity, how much did it cost to apply the XPEL ceramic to the new bike? Did you get the 4-y or 10-y treatment?
First of all thanks for the compliment of keeping the bike looking decent. Not as good as many others but years later my bikes still look decent.

Xpel ceramic coating is liquid applied to nearly any portion of a vehicle a person wants done. There are different liquids depending on the surface. On my bike I had everything done except the glass I put over the TFT screen, the rubber tires and the BMW windshield as BMW uses a special coating and they recommended we not do that. So all painted surfaces, all black surfaces, any plastic surfaces, the seat were all ceramic coated.

I got the 10 year warranty treatment. The 10 year warranty requires a person to bring the bike in annually for a check up to see if any areas needed an extra application after they do detailed clean of the bike. It is literally a drive in and wait for this clean and checkup. This also applies to cars and boats they do.

Cost of the ceramic coating was $300.

This place did a little Xpel film on my 2016 RS so I knew about them. After seeing them ceramic coat a Bentley, Jacquar and Porsche I figure they knew what they were doing.

I picked up the bike today and rode it for first time bringing it home.

https://www.xpel.com/ceramic-coating-fusion-plus
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

(04-19-2022, 01:21 PM)darrell Wrote: This place did a little Xpel film on my 2016 RS so I knew about them. After seeing them ceramic coat a Bentley, Jacquar and Porsche I figure they knew what they were doing.
Thanks for the run down.

So my question is, after all the exposure to the elements, did you find any paint fade or areas of paint failure on the RS?

That is, if I don't feel the need to detail my bike with every ride beyond what's necessary for my mechanical/safety inspection, do I risk bad paint or finish when I get ready to sell my bike after 10 y of sun and bugs?

Which leads to second question - is this stuff so slick, that it cuts my inspection-wash time sufficiently to justify the time and expense of a professional application? (Okay, I realize the bugs aren't out yet in Minnesota, but perhaps you'll post a follow-up.)

Stay good.
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
(04-19-2022, 07:13 PM)Ray Wrote: [quote='darrell' pid='8435' dateline='1650396071']

So my question is, after all the exposure to the elements, did you find any paint fade or areas of paint failure on the RS?

That is, if I don't feel the need to detail my bike with every ride beyond what's necessary for my mechanical/safety inspection, do I risk bad paint or finish when I get ready to sell my bike after 10 y of sun and bugs?

Which leads to second question - is this stuff so slick, that it cuts my inspection-wash time sufficiently to justify the time and expense of a professional application? (Okay, I realize the bugs aren't out yet in Minnesota, but perhaps you'll post a follow-up.)

Stay good.
I don’t see or feel there is any paint fade on my 2016 R1200RS with 140,000 miles nor do I on my 21 year old R1150GSA with 133,000 miles. Both have always been garaged when at home but has never been covered when traveling other then maybe a few days when at a rally to keep the sun off them. Your paint will be fine even after 10 years. Before selling it take it to a detail shop and let them clean up if you don’t want to mess with.

Little doubt the surface of the painted areas on the ceramic coated bike, rims, etc are a lot slicker then just the clear coat that is over the paint.

My electric pressure washer and foam cannon arrive on Thursday. Once I need to wash a couple of bikes I’ll do the RS and new one at the same time and see the difference. Supposedly with the ceramic coating I can just use my leaf blower to dry the bike and maybe a brief touch up with a microfiber towel. One of the least fun times I have with motorcycles is cleaning them so anything I can do to reduce or eliminate that time is important. I’ll leave another note once I get a chance to clean the bike.

And about the bugs being out. They usually don’t fly in 30 and 40 degree temps. Spring will arrive just still a bit away for us in MN.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

(04-19-2022, 01:21 PM)darrell Wrote:
(04-19-2022, 11:09 AM)Ray Wrote: Darrell - just out of curiosity, how much did it cost to apply the XPEL ceramic to the new bike? Did you get the 4-y or 10-y treatment?
First of all thanks for the compliment of keeping the bike looking decent. Not as good as many others but years later my bikes still look decent.

Xpel ceramic coating is liquid applied to nearly any portion of a vehicle a person wants done. There are different liquids depending on the surface. On my bike I had everything done except the glass I put over the TFT screen, the rubber tires and the BMW windshield as BMW uses a special coating and they recommended we not do that. So all painted surfaces, all black surfaces, any plastic surfaces, the seat were all ceramic coated.

I got the 10 year warranty treatment. The 10 year warranty requires a person to bring the bike in annually for a check up to see if any areas needed an extra application after they do detailed clean of the bike. It is literally a drive in and wait for this clean and checkup. This also applies to cars and boats they do.

Cost of the ceramic coating was $300.

This place did a little Xpel film on my 2016 RS so I knew about them. After seeing them ceramic coat a Bentley, Jacquar and Porsche I figure they knew what they were doing.

I picked up the bike today and rode it for first time bringing it home.

https://www.xpel.com/ceramic-coating-fusion-plus

Thank you for the link. I followed it to the local shop that did some basic window tinting on my new car a couple of years ago, so I sent them an online inquiry/request for quote on ceramic coating the new RS. We'll see what they say, but the sound of it is very impressive. As Ray points out, time is money, and if I can speed up the clean-up, it's worth a look!
KC Area
Ray ' Wrote: So my question is, after all the exposure to the elements, did you find any paint fade or areas of paint failure on the RS?

Stay good.

The important thing is not let a vehicle stay dirty for long periods.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(04-20-2022, 07:36 AM)Lee Wrote: The important thing is not let a vehicle stay dirty for long periods.

Excellent summation point. I have never had ceramic coating applied to any vehicle of mine, and I am certainly not saying that it is a bad thing to have done. I think that it is great especially if it provides permanent slipperiness for bugs and dirt. But, I agree that if the vehicle is kept essentially clean all the time, it will be in pretty good shape if/when time comes to sell it, although you’ll not likely get any money credit for the coating.

In keeping with the saving in time when washing theme, I just invested in a blower dryer. Yes I know that a leaf blower can approximate this function but it does not produce filtered heated air. Using a blower will speed up the drying process especially in the crevices.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
I got a quote back from this local shop for $800. Hard pass.
KC Area
(04-20-2022, 07:05 PM)ESquared Wrote: I got a quote back from this local shop for $800. Hard pass.
Interesting price difference for your quote of $800 and I paid $300. It would be interesting to compare what they are seeing or doing differently. We’ll chat some time or I get down that what often and might stop in to your shop and see how they quote motorcycles.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

(04-20-2022, 07:36 AM)Lee Wrote: The important thing is not let a vehicle stay dirty for long periods.

But, it was too cold when I parked the bike last November................
(04-20-2022, 07:58 PM)darrell Wrote:
(04-20-2022, 07:05 PM)ESquared Wrote: I got a quote back from this local shop for $800. Hard pass.
Interesting price difference for your quote of $800 and I paid $300. It would be interesting to compare what they are seeing or doing differently. We’ll chat some time or I get down that what often and might stop in to your shop and see how they quote motorcycles.

They responded within a couple hour of my online request for quote. No conversation, no cover note, just the quote. Exact same brand of coating material that's being discussed here. My take is that motorcycles isn't a business they want to be in. No harm, no foul. I'll just stick with my detail/wash routine and call it good.
KC Area
The difference between the $300 and $800 coatings may be that Darrell got a "ceramic liquid" coating and the $800 may be the Xpel ceramic film (similar to a wrap). The Xpel film is very pricey, I looked at a precut sheet to fit the hood of my 330i and they wanted $800 (material only)! I have applied "professional grade ceramic liquid to both of my cars and it is still holding up well after 3 years, but can be a bit fiddly to apply. Some of the new "ceramic waxes" seem to work pretty well, apply easily and not break the bank. I use the Griot's green ceramic wax.
Chris
Great discussion here. I'm also considering ceramic coating the painted parts and additionally adding PPF to the forward areas of the side cases, especially where I'd scuff it with a boot getting on and off.
Craig
'20 R1250RS
Previous
: '21 R1250RS, 
'03 K1200RS, '01 R1100RS, '83 R800