Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Windscreens and wind noise
...Since we've ventured into the subject of wind noise. (I'll be up front and state that I always wear earplugs while riding). My Shoei GT Air is dead quiet, while riding my '92 900SS Ducati. No problems hearing music through my Sena 20S.
My '16 RS came with a Wunderlich touring screen. For the summer months I installed the CalSci shorty. Neither of these screens can be described as "quiet". It was only after installing the CalSci XL, this past winter, that I had a lack of helmet noise similar to the Ducati.
Apologies if this should venture into a different thread topic
Cheers, David
(08-28-2018, 05:00 AM)Duccrazydave Wrote: ... It was only after installing the CalSci XL, this past winter, that I had a lack of helmet noise similar to the Ducati.

Here is a link to the CalSci page on which the CalSci XL is shown (I guess - they don't label which is which … This may be it …

[Image: R1200RSb.jpg]

Too big for my liking I am afraid, and probably too hot for summer riding. I expect it is great for the winter when you rode with it.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
(08-28-2018, 06:03 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:
(08-28-2018, 05:00 AM)Duccrazydave Wrote: ... It was only after installing the CalSci XL, this past winter, that I had a lack of helmet noise similar to the Ducati.

Here is a link to the CalSci page on which the CalSci XL is shown (I guess - they don't label which is which … This may be it …

[Image: R1200RSb.jpg]

Too big for my liking I am afraid, and probably too hot for summer riding. I expect it is great for the winter when you rode with it.

I'm using a Cee Bailey's sport screen it's shorter than the stock.
I do get more air, but it SMOOTH QUITE AIR. Works for me.
Mark
Mark
So It Goes.

SoCal USA
(08-28-2018, 02:09 PM)Mark Wrote: I'm using a Cee Bailey's sport screen it's shorter than the stock.
I do get more air, but it SMOOTH QUITE AIR. Works for me.
Mark

Not surprised. The smaller the screen the cleaner the air. Of course there is more air and beyond a certain speed that extra air becomes too much and no good for long rides, which is what the RS is designed for. So an adjustable screen is probably the best compromise.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
I am using an MRA screen and find it very quiet, but I'm only 5ft 8ins.
(09-07-2018, 01:45 AM)mickr7280 Wrote: I am using an MRA screen and find it very quiet, but I'm only 5ft 8ins.

Which MRA screen do you have? There are 3 for our bike. I have the excellent MRA Multi-X-Creen "MXC" for which I did a video on YouTube. I have spent the Houston summer (which is not over yet!) with the wing in the horizontal position for max air flow and it has been great.

I too am 5'-8" … Smile
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
It's so hot here in South Louisiana, that I like the windshield a little lower. I never cared for the lip on the stock screen, as it seemed to cause mild buffeting. The MRA "T" shield has a straight upper edge with no lip. It also employs spacers that project the screen out a bit, allowing improved laminar flow. This makes the air that hits my helmet and shoulders "clean," imparting a quieter and less frenetic ride. Raising the shield to the higher, alternate position pushes airflow up and largely over my helmet. At 5'11" it works well for me.
It's been a while, but thought I would update my windscreen discussion. After making my first big journey (Helen, GA) with the CS XL screen, I've concluded I like the protection, but prefer to look over a screen, rather than through it. In the tallest position, through the monsoon that was our trip to Helen, there was almost no rain hitting my helmet. But this came with problems of it's own, mainly periodic fogging behind the "bubble" of still air. And, oddly enough, rain pooling on the back of the screen and just sitting thereDodgy Although I'm proud of my distinction of "Largest RS Screen in the South", lol, when I returned home I decided to reinstall the Wunderlich Touring screen that came on the bike. Until I decide to experiment with another screen again (MXC), this is the best compromise so far, especially with the warmer weather. Upper holes, low position gives me smooth airflow at the upper chest and helmet. More low frequency noise than I would like, but definitely tolerable.
One more note and I'll give it a rest. There is quite a bit of difference in fit quality between Cali Sci and Wunderlich. The Wunderlich lines up perfectly with the mounting holes, the CS, not so much. I have the XL and tinted Shorty screen. Both had to have a couple of the holes slightly enlarged to line up correctly without binding. And because they're of thinner construction, I added o-rings to each mounting rubber to keep the screens tight.
(07-06-2019, 10:16 AM)Duccrazydave Wrote: But this came with problems of it's own, mainly periodic fogging behind the "bubble" of still air. .

I like a lot of wind hitting my faceshield when it rains to help peel the water off.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(07-06-2019, 10:16 AM)Duccrazydave Wrote: It's been a while, but thought I would update my windscreen discussion. After making my first big journey (Helen, GA) with the CS XL screen, I've concluded I like the protection, but prefer to look over a screen, rather than through it. In the tallest position, through the monsoon that was our trip to Helen, there was almost no rain hitting my helmet. But this came with problems of it's own, mainly periodic fogging behind the "bubble" of still air. And, oddly enough, rain pooling on the back of the screen and just sitting thereDodgy Although I'm proud of my distinction of "Largest RS Screen in the South", lol, when I returned home I decided to reinstall the Wunderlich Touring screen that came on the bike. Until I decide to experiment with another screen again (MXC), this is the best compromise so far, especially with the warmer weather.

Wish you had said something in Helen ... I could have let you have a quick spin on mine to see if you like it ... MRA Multi-X-Creen MXC. I love its configurability.

I have the Givi Touring screen but like you I like looking over the windscreen as opposed to through it. Once I got the Givi, I tried it once and have not used it since.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
So I decided to go "half way" and picked up the MRA X-Creen Sport add-on screen. Attached (with the clamp-on hardware) to my California Scientific Shorty screen, it puts the overall height at around 500mm. Slightly taller than the Vario Touring model. With the shield in the upper mounting holes and fiddling around with the X-Creen position, I found a great combination of protection, yet still "clean air" hitting the top of the helmet. Even at 80mph and 91 degrees, I had no buffeting, while maintaining enough air flow as not to be miserable.
I'm actually through experimenting now :-)
[Image: 123de2958d07f10f012b5e5b5d6e6eef.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm going to miss that Spinnaker that you had. It kind of acted as a boat anchor when racing you!!!
Spinnaker has a better ring to it than barn doorBig Grin
I have a Puig touring screen on my RS, but I prefer the standard screen in the lower position, particularly in the summer. With the Puig screen I have to keep my visor open all the time or I don't get enough airflow through my helmet to keep my head cool. I guess I'm a hothead! With the standard screen, I'm in a clean air stream from the neck up, which is nice on a hot day.
The only reason I keep the Puig on the bike is because with the standard screen my wife gets badly buffeted by the airflow when she's on the back.
You’ll all get a laugh out of this. Now that we’re experiencing cooler temps (for NC, anyway) I decided to give the Wunderlich touring screen a go with the MRA spoiler. This combo, while not being as large as my CaliSci XL, does a better job at providing a still, quiet pocket of air, while still being able to look over the screen ( in lower mounting holes). [Image: 7dcdbcc8b0638ecafb8a6d0e4420c972.jpg]So, I’m back to the screen that originally came on the bike, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk