Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PackTalk Edge
I pre-ordered and received a Cardo PackTalk Edge yesterday to replace my PackTalk Black. After fitting it to my Arai Signet-X and taking it to my friends to test with his Schuberth C3 fitted to a Black, I thought I’d share my thoughts.

Design.
Sleeker design that appears more aerodynamic; although it uses all angular shapes whereas the Black has some (minor) curves. No pop-up antenna, although it still uses the speaker cable routed over the head liner for FM reception. A permanently-attached rubber cover on the rear-most edge now hides a USB-C charging port vs the bottom-edged micro-USB of earlier models.

Their new Air Mount mounting plate is thinner and no longer has a hump on it where the electrical contacts are. Plastic of the tongue that slides under your helmet liner is a bit thicker. Magnetic mounting is very strong and disconnection requires both depressing a lever along the leading edge of the bracket and sliding the device forward -- impossible to accidentally detach now. Attaching no longer requires thought or effort, as holding it anywhere close to the bracket causes it to jump out of your hand and onto the bracket. If it’s on and playing audio the speakers instantly start playing when it connects. They did a great job redesigning this.

Speakers are physically smaller in diameter (closer to that of a Bold), which supposedly is to stay within upcoming ECE regulations on helmet speaker sizing. They’re in the outline of an egg instead of round, to about the same diameter on the longest dimension equal to a Black's speaker. Heavier than the Blacks by 4g each.

Of the two microphones, only the one on the stalk (for flip-up helmets) is larger by about 2/3rds. The stick-up mic I'm using in my full-face could be different but as I can't take the foam off without ripping,I can't tell. They feel the same.

Operation.
Edge doesn’t do anything the Bold or Black can't, and mostly works identically. It does most things a bit faster and some things a bit easier, like pairing, but aside from adding the following voice commands it’s the same:
- End a call / Hey Cardo, end call
- To share music / Hey Cardo, share music
- To close intercom call / Hey Cardo, end intercom
- Mute microphone / Hey Cardo, mute microphone
- Unmute microphone / Hey Cardo, unmute microphone

I can’t speak to their “lightning fast” pairing advantages that their DMC2 mesh tech vs DMC1. I’m not nearly sociable enough to be pairing with so many other riders that this would be something I’d appreciate, so nice but meh for me.

Of note, is that volume up/down on the Edge will also cause the volume on my Android (Pixel 5) phone to go up and down with it. The Bold's volume and the phone's are separate. I can't say if this is the same on iOS.

Software updates can now be done over Bluetooth instead of requiring a cable. I’m going to be doing that even less than pairing, so that’s another nice they’re finally doing this, but I mostly expect this capability in 2022 and especially at this price point.

One of the advantages USB-C brings is fast charging, and this charges from 0-100% in two hours (vs the Black/Bold's four) and has a quick-charge where 20 minutes of charge get you two hours of use. Glad this was finally included on their flagship product. Another advantage of USB-C is it moves the wear-parts of the USB connection from the socket in the expensive device to the cable you can replace for $15.

Audio.
Speakers are outstanding for this class of headphones. Volume is significantly increased. What used to be 100% volume on the Black is about 65% on these. No distortion. To someone like me who was wanting both a bit more volume and a bit more bass, these drivers deliver. For me, the cost was worth the sound improvement alone.

Tested whether improvement was due to improved speakers, amplifier, or maybe some of both. Keeping the new speakers installed in my helmet, I plugged them back into Black my black and then into the Edge again to compare. Then I plugged both into a set of Sennheiser open-backed headphones and a set of custom-molded in-ear sound-isolating earphones I had made for riding. I’d say both both amplifier and speakers improved, but leaning heavily towards the speakers. The Edge is ~10% louder than the Black using my headphones or earphones but 35% louder with the new JBLs. It’s also a bit cleaner sounding at high volumes; not that it was muddy before but there’s slight yet discernible improvement. If Cardo offers these speakers as an upgrade to older units, it’d be easy to recommend a purchase.

Cardo says the Edge has better noise-filtering microphones voice-recognition software. I don’t have a convenient way to test this yet so will leave that to others and/or your imagination.

DMC2 supports wideband mesh audio vs DMC1 but as I don’t know anyone else with an Edge, couldn’t be tested. I know enough about wideband audio to know that if this works as advertised the difference should be significant and very welcome.

Radio.
Since I don’t have my bike yet, all I could do was do a completely useless test of my friend wearing his Black in his living room and me driving my car away with me wearing an Edge. Nope, didn’t feel silly at all (OK a little). It’s for science! Got about a block away and the connection dropped. Next time I want to use my Cardo in a car, I’ll keep that test in mind..

FM radio operation and tuner isolation characteristics appear identical to the Black.

The Edge has Bluetooth 5.2 vs the Black & Bold’s 4.0. BT 5 offers several potential advantages but requires every device it’s talking to also be on the same version. Devices negotiate at the beginning of a connection and will use the highest version both support. With BT 5.2:
- 4x the range, 2x the data rate
- Increases data packet size from 40 bytes to 255 (part of why data rate is higher, but this also allows for wideband audio and more channels at once)
- Introduces simultaneous isochronous channel support (previous was single data channel only)
- New high-quality low power & bandwidth audio codec (LC3) - better audio quality at edge of radio range
- Devices talk to each other on a side channel to continuously monitor and adjust their transmit & receive power to each other, maximizing range & minimizing battery drain

Value.
Its MSRP is the same as the Black ($390) and has the same three-year warranty, so to me says the Edge will probably replace the Black. Amazon is selling the Blacks for $250 so that’s a pretty good price that I don’t think the Edges will be anywhere near for a while, whenever they do become available again. If price were the same or no object, get the Edge. If Edge is at MSRP and Black is at $250, Black’s a better deal unless you really need/want the volume – and can find them in stock.
Craig
'20 R1250RS
Previous
: '21 R1250RS, 
'03 K1200RS, '01 R1100RS, '83 R800
(05-01-2022, 10:20 PM)Pyrrho Wrote: I pre-ordered and received a Cardo PackTalk Edge yesterday to replace my PackTalk Black. After fitting it to my Arai Signet-X and taking it to my friends to test with his Schuberth C3 fitted to a Black, I thought I’d share my thoughts.

Excellent review ... hits on all the points that I would be interested in, especially the audio bit. I appreciate the comparative tests you did with the different drivers, and the report that it is significantly louder when comparing the Black with JBL speakers and the Edge with its JBL speakers, even though these are 45mm and 40 mm respectively. I bought the JBL 45mm "upgrade" speakers and was unimpressed ... much preferred the heavier 40mm JBL drivers that came with my PB Bold.

I also like the over-the-air updates.

I have the Packtalk Bold which I like, especially the JBL speakers, although I just wished that they were a little louder at full volume (as there is variability in loudness between radio, Sirius XM and recorded MP3s etc.). If these speakers give the same or better sound tonality and more volume then that is a win for me. Only problem is upgrading from a perfectly functional comm unit. BUT helmet music and communication (phone and GPS) is very important to me ... maybe second only to the bike itself, so I might be going down this path soon.

In addition to the above great review, this is a quick comparison from the Cardo website [misspellings included] for people facing my decision.

Quote:What is the difference between PACKTAK BOLD and PACKTALK EDGE?
PACKTALK EDGE offers several improved key features, including:
Air Mount: a completely revolutionary, simple, and secure magnetic mount.
DMC 2nd generation: lightning-fast pairing and a crystal clear wideband intercom voice
A complete redesigned sound system by JBL
An improved natural voice operation with an improved noise-filtering microphone. PACLTALK EDGE is powered by Bluetooth 5.2, and also features in addition:
Fast charging: 2 hours of talk time after 20 minutes of charge
A robust USB Type-C portOver-the-air software upodated via the Cardo Connect app.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Great review. I bought the PackTalk Black when it was on sale last year. I should have saved even more, passed on Mesh, and picked up a Freecom. The Mesh doesn't work great with only two or three riders and I have never been in a situation when I wanted to pair to more riders than that.
(05-02-2022, 07:08 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: If these speakers give the same or better sound tonality and more volume then that is a win for me. Only problem is upgrading from a perfectly functional comm unit. BUT helmet music and communication (phone and GPS) is very important to me ... maybe second only to the bike itself, so I might be going down this path soon.

When/if they release the new speakers as an upgrade for the Bold, it'll come with a firmware update to add a sound profile for it. It'd be a more significant upgrade than moving from the Bold's pack-in speakers to the upgraded 45mm drivers. Wait to see more head to head reviews of microphone and audio comparisons once more people get Edges and can hook up Edge to Edge and report if and by how much it sounds different.

I moved to another country to do IT and audio engineering for a while, and I'm a licensed ham. Sound is important to me too. Smile
Craig
'20 R1250RS
Previous
Of note, is that volume up/down on the Edge will also cause the volume on my Android (Pixel 5) phone to go up and down with it. The Black's volume and the phone's are separate. I can't say if this is the same on iOS.

(Added the above to my review.)
Craig
'20 R1250RS
Previous
(05-02-2022, 09:02 PM)Pyrrho Wrote: Of note, is that volume up/down on the Edge will also cause the volume on my Android (Pixel 5) phone to go up and down with it. The Black's volume and the phone's are separate. I can't say if this is the same on iOS.

(Added the above to my review.)

I believe that with the iOS phones the volume is set to max when connected to BT devices, allowing sole volume control to be with that device. The user can, or course, lower the phone volume, which correspondingly lowers the input into the BT device from 100%.

Different approach to the same end result. One may be easier to code.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(05-02-2022, 08:24 PM)Pyrrho Wrote: When/if they release the new speakers as an upgrade for the Bold, it'll come with a firmware update to add a sound profile for it. It'd be a more significant upgrade than moving from the Bold's pack-in speakers to the upgraded 45mm drivers.

My PB Bold already has a firmware update (years ago) to allow sound profiles to be loaded, which I did ... before I paid for the so called 45mm "upgrade" speakers by JBL. I did a video on that in which I found that the sound from the upgrade speakers to be no better (and a little worse) than the 40mm JBL speakers that came with my PB Bold. I even returned those upgrade speakers. But ironically I ended up having to buy them again when I got my second helmet and the second helmet kit shipped with 40mm non-JBL speakers. God laughed.

The vid is on my channel.

(05-02-2022, 08:24 PM)Pyrrho Wrote: Wait to see more head to head reviews of microphone and audio comparisons once more people get Edges and can hook up Edge to Edge and report if and by how much it sounds different.

Yeah, I looked for Edge reviews and they were slim and all were saying the same thing ... and no actual comparisons with others units. There is a reason for that ... vids like that require more effort and (unless you are getting significant remuneration) is hardly worth the effort.

(05-02-2022, 08:24 PM)Pyrrho Wrote: I moved to another country to do IT and audio engineering for a while, and I'm a licensed ham. Sound is important to me too. Smile

Your IT familiarity shows in your quoting style Wink ... much appreciated.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS