Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another migrant - please don’t send me to Rwanda
Another migrant here - thanks to Grumpy for giving us a new home! Delighted to be here. 

I ride an R1250RS Exclusive from 2020 - the good ship Rocinante (scifi geek alert) arrived on the first day of lockdown and was the last bike out of the Vines showroom in Guildford when the Vid shut everything down. 

I commute to London on her and ride around Surrey and Sussex with the Wey Valley Advanced Motorcyclists group. I’m taking her to her first track day in July. 

Pleased to meet you all look forward to being part of this community of cognoscenti.

Olie
Welcome to this Forum Community, Olie.  WAM_thumbsup

Just one small point of order though for you UK-based folks especially ... this forum is just as old as the other one, differing in age maybe 2 weeks or so. Holger and I both saw the need for a forum to take up the slack after the original RS forum died, and he beat me to the punch (since he was not also creating a website).
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Rwanda? rUSSIA sounds so much crappier if you were to be sent.
R&D department
Welcome to this group and the "new improved" version of the site. Nice of you to come round.
Happiness comes not from what you have, but from enjoying all that you do have no matter how much or little that may be.
Rocinante is Don Quixote's horse
I knocked, but the door was open.......
Central PA: 2016 Lupin RS - Keys and no TPMS
(05-08-2022, 04:38 AM)36654 Wrote: Rocinante is Don Quixote's horse

Yes, originally. But also believe there was a sci-fi TV series called that. But most importantly it's the space ship in Rush's Cygnus X-1.
(05-08-2022, 04:38 AM)36654 Wrote: Rocinante is Don Quixote's horse

Indeed - but it is also the spaceship flown by Captain James Holden and his crew in the Amazon Prime (originally SyFy) series The Expanse and the related / original series of books by "James SA Corey" (the combined nom de plume of two writers, I can't remember which). It's a phenomenal series in both book and tv form (if sci-fi is your thing).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(05-07-2022, 07:44 PM)maxredline Wrote: Rwanda? rUSSIA sounds so much crappier if you were to be sent.

The British Government is currently trying to implement an arrangement where immigrants and refugees are sent to Rwanda for "processing" before being allowed back into our supposedly civilised country. 

Yes, this is the country which scores 22 / 100 in Freedom House's Freedom in the World report 2022. Priti Patel, our Home Secretary, is an execrable human being, though from what I understand of US politics she'd probably be a moderate on the other side of the Atlantic!   

Though I agree Russia would be pretty crap too, so don't send me there either please Smile
(05-09-2022, 05:34 AM)OlieL Wrote: The British Government is currently trying to implement an arrangement where immigrants and refugees are sent to Rwanda for "processing" before being allowed back into our supposedly civilised country. 

When I first heard of this (see this: U.K. plan to fly asylum-seekers to Rwanda draws outrage) I thought it was so absurd ... just from the standpoint of the distance between the UK and Rwanda. According to that article:

Quote:The plan would see some people who arrive in Britain as stowaways on trucks or in small boats picked up by the U.K. government and flown 4,000 miles (6,400 kilometers) to Rwanda, apparently for good.

Through presently watching the excellent Scottish TV series "Shetland" on Britbox, I was recently made aware of this people-smuggling problem over in the UK, now only to see this in real life ...! ("Shetland" Season 5)

(05-09-2022, 05:34 AM)OlieL Wrote: Yes, this is the country which scores 22 / 100 in Freedom House's Freedom in the World report 2022. 

At first I thought it was the UK that was 22/100 and I had to look it up but then realized you were referring to Rwanda.

(05-09-2022, 05:34 AM)OlieL Wrote: Priti Patel, our Home Secretary, is an execrable human being, though from what I understand of US politics she'd probably be a moderate on the other side of the Atlantic!

Oh, it is all relative ... she's probably a blip on the scale over here.

Anywaaay ... glad to have all UK RS owners and also those from "the continent" on this Forum community. Big Grin
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro