Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
British USA-Gulf Coast BMW Closed
Looks like British USA-Gulf Coast BMW in SE Houston is no longer in business. The website is down (reverts back to the host default page) and the phone is not answered other than by a machine. One Yelp reviewer in mid-June said that "... Another dealership in town told me they know British USA is currently "shut down" but didn't know if it's closed for good."

That means that the Houston-area no longer has 4 BMW Motorrad dealerships. This is sad because they also sold Triumph, Zero, and more importantly (to me) Ural motorcycles. The BMW Motorrad USA corporate website locator still lists them so is apparently out of date.

I suppose with the high cost of maintaining BMW and Triumph dealerships (and the demands of both BMW Motorrad and Triumph regarding how the dealership should look, which costs money) and the problems getting Ural stock since the Ukraine invasion may have put too much pressure on this dealership. 

This was an old school, low-key type dealership which for years did not have the typical BMW "look" (so I know they must have been feeling the heat) or any particular Triumph look either, for that matter. Covid must have been the final nail in the coffin.

Sad, since I like to visit them every so often (even though they are by far the farthest away from my house) and was thinking of going there today.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
GM at the local BMW dealer to me said they had to spend nearly $100K on renovations to their shop before they were BMW "approved", down to the placement of BMW within the dealer (1st when you walk in), specific brand and model of cruelty-free floor coverings, etc.
Craig
'20 R1250RS
Previous
: '21 R1250RS, 
'03 K1200RS, '01 R1100RS, '83 R800
(07-11-2022, 11:57 AM)Pyrrho Wrote: GM at the local BMW dealer to me said they had to spend nearly $100K on renovations to their shop before they were BMW "approved", down to the placement of BMW within the dealer (1st when you walk in), specific brand and model of cruelty-free floor coverings, etc.
 Harley did the same, years ago. Lots of smaller dealers shut down. But then I've seen the same happen with John Deere. Excessive showroom and inventory requirements effectively weeding out smaller single location shops.
When I lived in Beaumont TX they were the closest BMW dealership to me. I bought three bikes from them. And the Kendon trailer I still have that is now 15 years old.
2020 R1250 RS
2022 K1600 GT
2022 Kawasaki H2SXSE
Niwot CO USA