Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roadsmart 3 vs 4?
For you Dunlop fans........is there a significant difference between the RS3 and RS4?  Remember, I'm not doing track days. 

A finishing nail has accelerated my tire purchase by a month or two......
I knocked, but the door was open.......
Central PA: 2016 Lupin RS - Keys and no TPMS
(07-11-2022, 09:10 AM)36654 Wrote: For you Dunlop fans........is there a significant difference between the RS3 and RS4? 

Most riders who had both say the IV is slightly better for feel and mileage.
Did you end your MOA membership?
If not, it only costs $40 dollars more to buy the IV compared to the III with the MOA free front tire rebate.
If not a member it's quite a bit cheaper to buy the III with the $60 rebate when buying from a Dunlop Pro dealer.
The IIIs we bought last month were $170 plus tax for each set.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(07-11-2022, 09:10 AM)36654 Wrote: For you Dunlop fans........is there a significant difference between the RS3 and RS4?  Remember, I'm not doing track days. 

From what has been reported elsewhere in this Forum there is a significant difference in performance and price. Whether or not the latter justifies the former depends on the individual. Both are great tires.

As Lee mentioned there is a special now for MOA members that makes getting the RS4 a no brainer. Just got a set even though I don't need tires presently. If not a member of the MOA now would be a great time to join. Like Dunlops membership is a great value ... one of the few such things in life, IMO.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
(07-11-2022, 09:45 AM)Lee Wrote:
(07-11-2022, 09:10 AM)36654 Wrote: For you Dunlop fans........is there a significant difference between the RS3 and RS4? 

If not, it only costs $40 dollars more to buy the IV compared to the III with the MOA free front tire rebate.
If not a member it's quite a bit cheaper to buy the III with the $60 rebate when buying from a Dunlop Pro dealer.

The MOA and I parted company.  The $100-110 price difference between the set of RS3 and RS4s is why I'm asking.
(07-11-2022, 03:29 PM)36654 Wrote:

The MOA and I parted company.  The $100-110 price difference between the set of RS3 and RS4s is why I'm asking.

I was thinking you were no longer a MOA member but was not sure.
Instead of saying slightly, I should have said people have reported a better feel and mileage.
For me I would not notice any better traction and I would not notice if the IV had a softer ride.
On our last trip I set my dampening to Road. Sometime during the trip I managed to change the setting to Dynamic.
I never felt a difference, so I'm not a good one to notice the fine differences in tire handling, traction or comfort.
I'm not completely numb to tire feel because I did not like the feel of the Metzlers and I did not like how they had strange wear patterns.
When we got our new tires the other week I asked the owner of the shop where we buy tires on which he sells more of.
He said he sells more IIIs than IVs because of the big price difference.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(07-11-2022, 09:10 AM)36654 Wrote: For you Dunlop fans........is there a significant difference between the RS3 and RS4?  Remember, I'm not doing track days. 

Not a Dunlop fan..., until recently. See prior threads.

Rode one set of IIIs and immediately went back to Metzlers.  Now finishing my 3rd set of IVs.

Only reason to ride the IIIs is to compare to the IVs. A lot easier to spend the extra money when you know what it buys.

Wair.... Do you have photos as to how a finishing nail killed a tire?
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
(07-11-2022, 05:33 PM)Ray Wrote:

Not a Dunlop fan..., until recently. See prior threads.

Rode one set of IIIs and immediately went back to Metzlers.  Finishing my 3rd set of IVs.

Only reason to ride the IIIs is to cmpare to the IVs. A lot easier to spend the extra money when you know what it buys.

Wair.... Do you have photos as to how a finishing nail killed a tire?

The little SOB went in at a 45-degree angle just outboard of the centerline.  The tire was scheduled to be replaced in 2000~2500-miles at ~9000-miles of tread life.  I tried to plug the hole, but the reamer went straight in instead of following the angle of finishing nail.  The first plug (tar-covered thread type) held for a 45-mile ride, but leaked to zero pressure by this morning.  I tried a second plug this morning adding a good glob rubber cement the new plug.  The first plug push thru and rattles around in the tire.  There was no "self vulcanization" with that plug material to tire.  The second plug is leaking slowly using a soapy bubble test.

I'm guessing there's more damage on the inside of the tire than one would have expected from a finishing nail.
(07-11-2022, 04:57 PM)Lee Wrote:
(07-11-2022, 03:29 PM)36654 Wrote:

I was thinking you were no longer a MOA member but was not sure.
Instead of saying slightly, I should have said people have reported a better feel and mileage.
For me I would not notice any better traction and I would not notice if the IV had a softer ride.
On our last trip I set my dampening to Road. Sometime during the trip I managed to change the setting to Dynamic.
I never felt a difference, so I'm not a good one to notice the fine differences in tire handling, traction or comfort.
I'm not completely numb to tire feel because I did not like the feel of the Metzlers and I did not like how they had strange wear patterns.
When we got our new tires the other week I asked the owner of the shop where we buy tires on which he sells more of.
He said he sells more IIIs than IVs because of the big price difference.

I'm thinking the possible advantages might be lost on me too.
If you're so inclined: Here's an option that I've successfully used, for similar damage to my Michelin Road 5. https://www.steelmantools.com/1-4-inch-l...plug-patch
(07-12-2022, 04:19 AM)Duccrazydave Wrote: If you're so inclined: Here's an option that I've successfully used, for similar damage to my Michelin Road 5. https://www.steelmantools.com/1-4-inch-l...plug-patch

You're thinking the same as me.  I just have to find a shop or garage that's willing to patch a tire.

Back in the day, we would plug the hole, then apply a surface patch on the inside of car or truck tires.  Of course, that's easy when you have a Coats tire machine to remove/install the tire from the rim.
Hopefully you can find a shop. I have a NoMar Classic. But every time we're at VIR, I lust over the Coats changers lined up under the Dunlop tent.
(07-12-2022, 05:03 PM)Duccrazydave Wrote: Hopefully you can find a shop. I have a NoMar Classic. But every time we're at VIR, I lust over the Coats changers lined up under the Dunlop tent.

Back before mag wheels were common, changing a car or light truck tire was a breeze.  Pull the valve stem to deflate the tire, then press the pedal to activate the pneumatic beam breaker.  Insert one end of the lever bar under the lip of the bead, then rotate to place the opposite end over the center post.  Press a different pedal and the center post rotates the lever bar around, lifting the bead over the rim.  Repeat for the other bead and the tire is off the wheel.  Installing a tire was just as simple, but you used the duckhead feature on the lever bar to guide the bead over the rim.  The machine rotated the bar.  Install a new valve stem, then mount the remaining bead.  Inflate the tire to seat the bead.  The process took about 5-minutes.

No one cared an iota about scratches on those old steel rims..........
(07-12-2022, 05:03 PM)Duccrazydave Wrote: Hopefully you can find a shop. I have a NoMar Classic. But every time we're at VIR, I lust over the Coats changers lined up under the Dunlop tent.

A friend of mine has decided to restart his MC shop and offered to do both tires "on the bike" for $60.  That's mount and balance.....  But I think I'll take the wheels in since I have a leaking tire.

On a related note, I ordered a set of Dunlop from Revzilla.  They had the same price as the other on-line companies.  But when they invoiced me, they charged me their local 8% sales tax instead on my local 6% sales tax.  Revzilla customer service refused to budge on the issue.  So, I'm sending them back at their cost.  Now, for complete irony, J&P Cycle, a sister company of Revzilla and Cycle Gear in COMOTO Corp, will sell me the same tire and the same price, but at the correct sales tax.  I ordered a pair.

Now, since the Revzilla order was being filled by Parts Unlimited, I wonder if my return shipment will pass the incoming shipment ordered thru J&P.......
(07-20-2022, 09:01 AM)36654 Wrote: On a related note, I ordered a set of Dunlop from Revzilla.  They had the same price as the other on-line companies.  But when they invoiced me, they charged me their local 8% sales tax instead on my local 6% sales tax.  Revzilla customer service refused to budge on the issue.  ...

Makes you wonder if they only send the 6% to Pennsylvania and pocket the other 2%.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

(07-20-2022, 10:19 AM)Lee Wrote:
(07-20-2022, 09:01 AM)36654 Wrote: On a related note, I ordered a set of Dunlop from Revzilla.  They had the same price as the other on-line companies.  But when they invoiced me, they charged me their local 8% sales tax instead on my local 6% sales tax.  Revzilla customer service refused to budge on the issue.  ...

Makes you wonder if they only send the 6% to Pennsylvania and pocket the other 2%.

Why on earth would that happen.......................... Rolleyes 

In any case, the tires will take a return trip on Revzilla's dime via UPS............
(07-20-2022, 12:43 PM)36654 Wrote:

In any case, the tires will take a return trip on Revzilla's dime via UPS............

That's going to bite them in the butt if that's happening on all their orders.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

(07-20-2022, 01:32 PM)Lee Wrote:
(07-20-2022, 12:43 PM)36654 Wrote:

That's going to bite them in the butt if that's happening on all their orders.
In summary, this is my recent history dealing with COMOTO

1) 18 July: I order a set of DS4 tires 
2) 19 July: Revzilla says the tires are shipped and will arrive on 20 July.  Reviewing the invoice, I find Revzilla is overcharging on sales tax and they refuse to reimburse me.  I demand a free return shipment authorization.  Order the same tires from J&P Cycle for the same price but correct sales tax.
3) 20 July: Tires ordered thru Revzilla arrive (shipped from Parts Unlimited).  I take them to UPS for return shipment.  They are going to North Las Vegas, Nevada.  My wife tells me I'm crazy.  J&P Cycle tells me my tires have shipped and will arrive on 27 July.  According to UPS, the J&P tires are coming from Western Power Sports in Fresno, CA.
4) 26 July, Returned tires arrive in Nevada.  J&P Cycle tires are should arrive tomorrow

I stood on principle and saved $6.72.  But, at the same time, I became a primary contributor to global warming..........
(07-26-2022, 04:20 PM)36654 Wrote: In summary...My wife tells me I'm crazy.  

OK..., good to know you're not unlike the rest of us. 

Enjoy the tires. For me, best touring tires I've used so far.

(Of course, somehow, I got 2 of my 3 pairs of freshly manufactured RSIVs from a Dunlop pro dealer for at or less than COMOTO prices.)
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
(07-26-2022, 04:42 PM)Ray Wrote:
(07-26-2022, 04:20 PM)36654 Wrote: In summary...My wife tells me I'm crazy.  

OK..., good to know you're not unlike the rest of us. 

Enjoy the tires. For me, best touring tires I've used so far.

(Of course, somehow, I got 2 of my 3 pairs of freshly manufactured RSIVs from a Dunlop pro dealer for at or less than COMOTO prices.)
A couple of on-line places offered the same price.  I couldn't find a pro dealer that would come close.  My regular shop, a pro dealer, wanted $30 more for each tire and their regular price for mounting and balancing.  In total that would have cost me $125 more than on-line with a private installer.   In the past, the shop's tire prices have been better and I didn't mind paying their mount & balance price.