Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from Ontario
Hello! I just bought a gently used 2020 R1250RS with only 4700 km and I should take delivery later this week.

This is my first BMW after owning several Kawasaki's over the years, the most recent of which was a 2018 Vaquero. Before that I had a Concours 1400, and when I traded that for the Vaquero I had doubts immediately. I'm just not a cruiser guy, even though if was actually a great bike. My last ride of the Vaquero should be this Friday hopefully!

I've already bought a few things for the bike like a Shad 58X top case, Helibar risers, some Grip Puppies, and a cheap windshield deflector from Amazon. The best windshield I ever had was a MRA vario touring shield on my Concours, and I found a little deflector on Amazon that will allow me to convert the stock shield into the same kind of thing. Hey, if it saves me from dropping $300 it's win.

I'm glad this forum seems focused on the RS. Too many other BMW forums are so dominated by the GS bikes......

Anyway, can't wait to get my bike! 

Cheers!l

Welcome to the forum.
I would live with the bike for awhile before making any changes like the risers.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2,  2011 K1300S x 2,  2003 K1200RS x 2,  1991 K75S x 2,  1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(07-20-2022, 10:49 AM)Lee Wrote: Welcome to the forum.
I would live with the bike for awhile before making any changes like the risers.

Ditto. I'm 6'4" and thought I needed the peg-lowering kit until I got the sport seat and realized I was good. Got my MRA Variotouring for under $200, shipped from Horning in the motherland.

Finally got to see a RS in Austin Yellow in person last month at Road America. Looks a lot better than I thought from pictures. I hadn't realized it was a matte finish. Good stuff.
Craig
'20 R1250RS
Previous
: '21 R1250RS, 
'03 K1200RS, '01 R1100RS, '83 R800
Welcome to a fellow Canadian! Yes this is an RS focused Forum Community and parent website RSWasserboxer.com. My channel on Youtube also houses a lot of RS content.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Welcome! Excellent choice of color but I'm a bit biased LOL. 4,700 km is barely used. Great find. While I'm only 5'10" I wear a 35" sleeve and ended up needing the bar risers for all day comfort. IMHO the RS is the best BMW that no one knows about. Get out and enjoy it. While BMW no longer sells the factory service manual you can find the R1200RS service manual DVD on ebay from a guy in Italy as a download. Most of the info applies to the 1250 as well except that the 1250 engine is the Shift Can.
Happiness comes not from what you have, but from enjoying all that you do have no matter how much or little that may be.
Jim Von Baden makes an IMO excellent set of repair videos for the R1250RS. Only place I've seen that provides clear instructions on performing valve adjustments for ShiftCams. Free downloadable torque value charts and list of every tool and socket you'll need to go with the for-pay downloadable videos. Patience and knowledge will beat paying a dealer $300+ for a fluid change every time.

Oh, and ignore what your dealer's service department says about checking your final drive (shaft) splines and U-joint to ensure they're properly greased. BMW's official policy is that aside from oil changes, the FD is maintenance-free, so it won't be checked during a service visit. I spoke with a BMW service manager about the issue and he explained that BMW has given instructions to technicians to not even break the seals of the rubber boots if they can help it. Yet owners have checked themselves and even at under 20K miles they're observing the grease is gone and the splines were starting to wear. If a boot lets enough moisture in and it goes unchecked your FD could fail in less than a year -- which is why I and the service manager both agreed we thought BMW's policy regarding not to touch them was to avoid liability.

Also why to NEVER use a pressure washer and basically avoid shooting any water directly at the FD boot seals.
Craig
'20 R1250RS
Previous
: '21 R1250RS, 
'03 K1200RS, '01 R1100RS, '83 R800
Boxflyer has good videos on service as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQeNcD0g...l=Boxflyer

Nice bike, congrats!
2022 BMW R1250 GSA
2021 KTM 890 Duke R (Round two)

1985 Honda Nighthawk S
1985 Yamaha RZ350  
You are going to love the bike.
R&D department