Heart 

Gorgeous bike. Interesting article.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
...an RS without luggage?
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
I think it helps to appreciate this modified R nine T if you have a head of grey hair.
R&D department
(07-23-2022, 10:18 AM)maxredline Wrote: I think it helps to appreciate this modified  R nine T if you have a head of grey hair.

Yes indeed. I am not a huge fan of the RNineT lineup (even though they are nice enough and I like roadsters) but this one pays homage to the RS in a very flattering way. 

Still, Ray has a point (implied) about the luggage. Would be nice if they fitted luggage without the present RS racks, and more like the "clip on" mounting like on the GS. But at the end of the day, they are not making a sport tourer. It see it as still being a roadster but with a heritage RS look. I like the idea and if they added it to the RNineT I bet it would sell well, especially if they could keep the exhaust small and still comply with Euro 5 requirements. I am a huge fan of the underslung exhausts, especially since getting the Tracer.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
(07-23-2022, 10:18 AM)maxredline Wrote: I think it helps to appreciate this modified  R nine T if you have a head of grey hair.

( Rolleyes If I had any hair....)

Although the original use of RS in 1938 designated racers (rennsport literally run sport but meaning race sport), the return of the RS model designation in 1976 stood for reisesport or travel sport.

The other reason I'm disappointed by the lack of luggage is that I'd love to see the classic suitcase luggage revived - especially every time I need to carry loaded, modern cases by the handle. That luggage made look of the bike almost as much as that giant ferring.

Here's a stock photo of a 1977 that was the 80th built and was posted by the folks at Re-psycle in Lithopolis, OH. (Darrell will point out, as does the article, that it had been repainted in a gloss instead of matte finish. Webpage here.

In fact - here's a photo of Darrell's 1978 that he was kind enough to share with the forum a while back. (I guess this was the day he got out of St. Cloud.)
(Right - 8.5 gal Heinrich tank that foreshadowed the Dakar.)