Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shyster selling BMW MC parts (fraud)
Beware of shysters' selling BMW motorcycle parts.
I had a "what to buy" post up for handlebars at a couple of sites. Dude emails me and lets me know his "friend" Chris Ollis.  He has the parts and gives me his email. After some discussion we agree on a  price to pay with PayPal. The fraudster askes to make payment in the  "family and friends" section. unknown to me there is no recourse at PayPal for this type of transaction. He gives me a PayPal account for payment, done. That is the last I hear of Olllis. 
On to PayPal, I find Douglas Mizener. He has the account where my payment went. He acts as if he know nothing and blocks me.
It appears that PayPal does not deal with "friends and family" payment disputes.
On to Credit Card, dispute is there and on going.

I have never been scammed online ever. I just it was a matter of time.
R&D department
@maxredline, sorry you got scammed. A while ago I received a PM on this BBS with a similar offer for an item I had listed as a WTB. Since the offer was to contact a "friend" I didn't respond. The scenario of "I have a friend who has that part...." is a usual scammer tactic. This is so particularly if the message/offer comes from someone with only 1 or 2 posts to the site you're on. Unless I'm sending payment to someone I have good reason to trust I always insist on using regular PayPal payment functions and offer to add in the 3-4% PayPal fees. If I'm scammed I'll have a way to possibly get my money back and a scammer will usually not agree to regular PayPal. Be careful out there.

Edit: I actually still have that PM! It's from BBS user @vexov60199 and said:
"Hey buddy if you are still interested in getting a nice Wunderlich nav relocation kit, I have a friend who has that for sale . You can kindly contact him up for price and pictures if still interested.

Ollischris742@gmail.com

Goodluck buddy"
Happiness comes not from what you have, but from enjoying all that you do have no matter how much or little that may be.
(12-06-2022, 11:16 PM)maxredline Wrote:  The fraudster askes to make payment in the  "family and friends" section. 

Insisting on "family and friends" is the most obvious sign of fraud in an online transaction.  Scammers have all sorts of excuses for why they need to be paid that way.  Ignore them, it is all BS. A seller insisting on Zelle or any mention of a friend is another sure giveaway. 

Sorry you had to learn the hard way.     

Scamming is not only happening to buyers.  Use the same caution when you are selling an item.
Sorry to hear you got taken.
I usually avoid ads where they ask for payment using the Friends and Family option.
On the ADV forum there's a warning about buyers using Friends and Family at top of the page.

Here's a list of warnings at top of the Fleamarket page.

(1) Do not transact without protections in place! Different payment options may limit your payment protection
(2) Use a payment service like PayPal WITH (!) purchase protection.
(3) Terms like 'Friends and Family' are a warning that NO payment protection exists.
(4) Avoid transactions with new members with no history and "family or friend of friend" offers.
(5) If you do not understand the payment method you're being asked to use; stop and do not proceed until you do
(6) If you receive a suspicious private message, click the "report" link and let us know!
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
Thanks for sharing this experience and sorry to hear of this incident. These days, thanks to social media, there is too much laxity in the use of the term "friends".

In future, please do send a PM or email to me first / also.

New user vexov60199 has been invited to introduce themselves to the Forum Community, as is good practice on proper online fora.

This thread has been moved from General Discussions to Classifieds.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
(12-07-2022, 05:58 AM)Motorhead1977 Wrote: ....

Edit: I actually still have that PM!  It's from BBS user @vexov60199 and said:
"Hey buddy if you are still interested in getting a nice Wunderlich nav relocation kit, I have a friend who has that for sale . You can kindly contact him up for price and pictures if still interested.

Ollischris742@gmail.com

Goodluck buddy"

Same guy
R&D department
(12-07-2022, 09:48 PM)maxredline Wrote:
(12-07-2022, 05:58 AM)Motorhead1977 Wrote: Ollischris742@gmail.com

Same guy

Google search of the email address shows he is active on forums of all kinds.
(12-08-2022, 06:10 AM)TriangleRider Wrote:
(12-07-2022, 09:48 PM)maxredline Wrote:
(12-07-2022, 05:58 AM)Motorhead1977 Wrote: Ollischris742@gmail.com

Same guy

Google search of the email address shows he is active on forums of all kinds.

I also found several warnings of scams for that email.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
Dude is getting away with it or so its seems.
I hope my credit card dispute works.
I have zero confidence in PayPal due to the "family and Friends" component.
Live and learn the hard way, kinda hate it.
I would love to see some sort of "sticky" on known issues regarding fraud for parts in the classified section.
R&D department
(12-08-2022, 10:01 PM)maxredline Wrote: ...
I would love to see some sort of "sticky" on known issues regarding fraud for parts in the classified section.

I think that this is a good idea. Would you take the lead in constructing such a document offline then email to me? Not a thread but a single document containing tips on avoiding motorcycle-focused scams online and offline, e.g. Craigslist. A thread is too time-wasting.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(12-09-2022, 07:56 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:
(12-08-2022, 10:01 PM)maxredline Wrote: ...

I think that this is a good idea. Would you take the lead in constructing such a document offline then email to me? Not a thread but a single document containing tips on avoiding motorcycle-focused scams online and offline, e.g. Craigslist. A thread is too time-wasting.

The statements from Adventure Rider in my post #4 would work.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

The credit card company game me credit of approximately 50%
Douglas Mizener you are a right turd.
R&D department
Glad to hear that you got something back.

Action has been taken to uninvite vexov60199 from this Forum Community due to lack of response to request for introduction.

This thread is now closed.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS