Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brian from Colorado Springs CO
   Made the mistake of stopping by the BMW dealership a few days ago. I was just killing time while my 690 enduro was getting new sneakers at the other dealer a few miles away.
   Saw this 2022 RS 1250 Sport sitting there with a “great deal on 2022s” sticker on it. Gorgeous bike and I fell in love and after a little back and forth I bought it. 

I’ve been riding for a long time and have had a few different bikes over the years, from dirt bikes to sport to adventure bikes and even a few standards and one cruiser. Within the last few years I’ve sold the adventure bike, (to tall/heavy) got rid of the cruiser that I had used for longer trips before that, (I hated it for several reasons) and down sized to the dirt bike. You can’t really tour on a KTM 690. 
   I didn’t want another adventure bike for the same reasons I got rid of the last one and I don’t want a true touring bike because of their size and weight. The RS seems perfect so here I am.
Welcome to the site and Congratulation on your new RS.

Consider joining the BMW Motorcycle Owners Of America.
The dealer may have given you information on it.
https://www.bmwmoa.org/default.aspx
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2,  2011 K1300S x 2,  2003 K1200RS x 2,  1991 K75S x 2,  1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(12-14-2022, 05:26 AM)BHF Wrote:    Made the mistake of stopping by the BMW dealership a few days ago. I was just killing time while my 690 enduro was getting new sneakers at the other dealer a few miles away.
   Saw this 2022 RS 1250 Sport sitting there with a “great deal on 2022s” sticker on it. Gorgeous bike and I fell in love and after a little back and forth I bought it. 

I’ve been riding for a long time and have had a few different bikes over the years, from dirt bikes to sport to adventure bikes and even a few standards and one cruiser. Within the last few years I’ve sold the adventure bike, (to tall/heavy) got rid of the cruiser that I had used for longer trips before that, (I hated it for several reasons) and down sized to the dirt bike. You can’t really tour on a KTM 690. 
   I didn’t want another adventure bike for the same reasons I got rid of the last one and I don’t want a true touring bike because of their size and weight. The RS seems perfect so here I am.

Welcome to the Forum Community! Glad you were able to activate yourself.  Wink

By comparing the other bikes you had to the type of riding you seem to want to do (when not off-roading with the KTM), it is clear to me that you will be very pleased with the RS. If you think you love it now, just wait until you start doing some longer trips like the ones you used to do on the cruiser. 

When I first got my RS it was definitely not love at first sight, as was the case with you. I saw it as some sort of "weirdo bike" that looks like a muscular sport bike but with two weird sticking out bits at the sides. Test rode it and was laughing my head off at how it weirdly was easy to ride, and how it was like a scooter or like a train or like a sport bike, depending on your mood and the twist of the wrist. Got it home after that and wondered, what the hell did I just go and do. That was, until I came back from my first long distance multi-day trip. The website RSWasserboxer.com was born just after that, and then this Forum Community followed.

It doesn't do off-road so your KTM will handle that need, but otherwise, the RS will be perfect for you, I think. Being in Colorado you will love riding it there as some of us did on our visit to Gunnison in Sept-2020.

Also, as Lee suggested, you might want to consider joining the BMW MOA because this association is very special in terms of the people, events, benefits, etc. So much so that even if you ended up not having a BMW (ownership somehow not required) you'd still want to be a member.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Thank you for the kind welcome.
The RS isn't my first boxer so I was already somewhat used to its uniqueness. I also have an R9T. Doing a 300 mile day on the R9T convinced me that I needed a more distance capable bike.
Hi, I am in Niwot, just north of Boulder. I am on my second RS, my current one is a 2020 R1250RS. I think it's the best bike I have ever owned. The RS should be a much, much better bike than the R9T for 300+ mile days.

Congratulations and enjoy!
2020 R1250 RS
2022 K1600 GT
2022 Kawasaki H2SXSE
Niwot CO USA
Welcome, Brian!
Welcome! I came to my '20 1250RS from a 1200RT as I wanted a lighter sport tourer. From my first ride I knew it was "just the thing". Sounds like you're going to love having the RS. Now according to my wife, the most important question, what color is your bike? ??
Happiness comes not from what you have, but from enjoying all that you do have no matter how much or little that may be.
Mine is Lite White.