Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E bicycles
As we all know their has been a huge upswing in the popularity of electrically assisted bicycles. There is a local company here that makes some great bikes with good components at reasonable prices. 
Volt Bikes
A few motorcycle companies like BMWDucati and now Yamaha producing e bikes.

A few years ago when they really started taking off I was on a 30km ride on my petal bike where I stopped in the middle of the Port Mann bridge to take in the view of the Fraser river. There I met an older fellow (70+) on his e bicycle that I had a talk with. He said that he was on a 60 km ride and that the e bike took away all the reasons not to get on the bike. I thought that was brilliant.

I am not ready for an e bike yet. I will stick to my petal 2015 Garneau Urbania 3 sp bike as long as I can with the help
of my trusty 2015 Yamaha Smax scooter.
R&D department
Right.
It's now a nice continuum.
My son in China, for example, has his choice of bicycle, electric bicycle, or electric motorcycle to cover his travel needs.
A strong bicycle rider - he has done coast-to-coast and down-the-coast rides - he picked up the first electric bicycle well before age 70 while managing a B&B in Eugene that is found up one of those longish hills that is tough to walk, let alone, schlepping 40 pounds of groceries on a pedal bike. Cheap and easy to maintain for young guys with a lot of other things to do in life.

So quick question - how did your Garneau Urbania end up as a 3-speed? With disc brakes?

Go get 'em.
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
(01-07-2023, 01:22 PM)Ray Wrote: Right.
It's now a nice continuum.
My son in China, for example, has his choice of bicycle, electric bicycle, or electric motorcycle to cover his travel needs.
A strong bicycle rider - he has done coast-to-coast and down-the-coast rides - he picked up the first electric bicycle well before age 70 while managing a B&B in Portland that is found up one of those longish hills that is tough to walk, let alone, schlepping 40 pounds of groceries on a pedal bike. Cheap and easy to maintain for young guys with a lot of other things to do in life.

So quick question - how did your Garneau Urbania end up as a 3-speed? With disc brakes?

Go get 'em.

I use my bike Stickley for exercise at this point, there is no doubt anyone can find their use for an e bike.

My Garneau bicycle is the 3sp model but is 24 speed.
R&D department
(01-07-2023, 01:34 PM)maxredline Wrote: My Garneau bicycle is the 3sp model but is 24 speed.

Its on page 77 of this catalogue. Model is actually SP3 not 3SP, so I could see Ray's confusion. I too thought 3 speed so I had to look it up to see who was riding a 3-speed bike in this day and age. Big Grin Nice bike.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
OMG, Sorry.
R&D department
If it helps, all my around town miles are on a one speed. A lot to be said this time of year for a deraileur-less bike with 3 gears inside a sealed hub. One gear to go with the wind, one to go into the wind, and one for going up the hill.... I figured some creative mechanic got to the bike and set up a low maintenance commuter to complement that low maintenance scooter. What a blast.
"A good man always knows his limitations...."