Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New battery
Well after maybe 32k miles and 3 years it appears that my battery needs to be replaced. I just returned from a 12 day business trip and in that time the battery was almost totally flat and would not turn the engine over. The bike was not ridden for a couple days before that so no charging in 2 weeks. I have left the battery for a month before and it would start first try.

So I looked up the OEM battery and I am seeing nominally $190-$200 online for the BMW Motorcycles AGM Battery (by Exide I believe) 12volt 12AH Part # 61218394179. I may ask the dealer, for a laugh.

Anyway, as is my wont whenever I have to replace a part I look to see what is out there that might be better. Lithium Ion batteries are popular because of the weight saving as well as the alleged performance advantage over lead acid batteries. AGM batteries were the new kid in town before the LI-ion batteries hit the market, with the latter being significantly more expensive (especially in larger sizes). Not so much for motorcycles ... I am seeing the Shorai Lithium Battery LFX21A6-BS12 for $207 at Revzilla. However I am concerned about some of the negative reviews especially with regard to cold weather performance. That is quite the opposite for my AA Energizer lithium batteries in my camera which last forever and wok well in the cold.

Exide has a PDF brochure that compares [their] battery types

Have any of you replaced the battery on your RS? If so what did you get and why? Any recommendations?
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Haven't replaced the battery in the RS yet, but I did put a Shoria LFX18L1-BS12 in my '92 Ducati about 4 years ago. Total game changer compared to every other battery I tried. That includes standard wet and gel cell types that my bike called for. First, the weight savings. Couldn't believe there was a battery in the box when it arrived. Most of the box was foam to make up for the smaller size of the battery, compared to stock. Second, the cranking amps were increased. On an air cooled Duc, that's a pretty big deal. One strange quirk I've noticed, and since read about, is when the bike doesn't start immediately, (after sitting for a few weeks the carbs are a little reluctant), the second turnover shows slightly higher voltage, opposite of what I'm used to seeing in traditional batteries. This may be where some of the cold weather opinions originate. Third, and most surprising, is that I haven't had the bike on a charger at all. With no parasitic load (alarm, clock, etc) it just hangs in there! I was forever charging batteries, mostly in the winter. This had been the norm for the first 24 years of ownership. I realize the old Ducati and my new RS are completely different animals when it comes to electrical load, alternator output and the like, but I think when that time comes, I will give Shoria a go. Hope you find more opinions (from RS owners, of course) to get an idea of what route you might want to take.
Cheers, David
(09-28-2018, 05:06 PM)Duccrazydave Wrote: Haven't replaced the battery in the RS yet, but I did put a Shoria LFX18L1-BS12 in my '92 Ducati about 4 years ago. ...

Thanks for the positive review on the Shorai.

I read that when the bike has been sitting for a while the battery goes into 'dormant' mode and has to be woken up This is done by switching the bike on for a certain time (depends on how cold it is, e.g. 4 - 5 minutes if it is 0 deg.F or something like that. If this extra step is not done the bike likely won't start and the reason the charge is greater on the second attempt is because it is waking up. At least this was my understanding reading the literature today.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(09-28-2018, 01:10 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Well after maybe 32k miles and 3 years it appears that my battery needs to be replaced. I just returned from a 12 day business trip and in that time the battery was almost totally flat and would not turn the engine over. The bike was not ridden for a couple days before that so no charging in 2 weeks. I have left the battery for a month before and it would start first try.

So I looked up the OEM battery and I am seeing nominally $190-$200 online for the BMW Motorcycles AGM Battery (by Exide I believe) 12volt 12AH Part # 61218394179. I may ask the dealer, for a laugh.

Anyway, as is my wont whenever I have to replace a part I look to see what is out there that might be better. Lithium Ion batteries are popular because of the weight saving as well as the alleged performance advantage over lead acid batteries. AGM batteries were the new kid in town before the LI-ion batteries hit the market, with the latter being significantly more expensive (especially in larger sizes). Not so much for motorcycles ... I am seeing the Shorai Lithium Battery LFX21A6-BS12 for $207 at Revzilla. However I am concerned about some of the negative reviews especially with regard to cold weather performance. That is quite the opposite for my AA Energizer lithium batteries in my camera which last forever and wok well in the cold.

Exide has a PDF brochure that compares [their] battery types

Have any of you replaced the battery on your RS? If so what did you get and why? Any recommendations?

I installed a Shorai battery (4-5 lbs? weight savings) on my RS earlier this year. As you said the advantages to a LI battery are lighter weight and subjectively when warm, more cranking power upon start up. The disadvantages are the cost, the cold start performance and in my opinion, at least for the Shorai, the need for a Shorai charger. I don't remove my batteries (also have a Shorai in the 1600 GT - 13lbs actual weight savings) during the winter. The charger maintains my batteries through the winter as I typically rotate the charger between the two bikes.
When and where I can I like to reduce the overall weight of my motorcycles. Every little bit of weight reduction and or power enhancement helps the bike's performance...I guess the same would hold true for me Big Grin
Periodically Shorai has a factory direct sale with 20% off their list price around the Christmas holiday season.
(10-01-2018, 07:26 AM)Olgry1 Wrote: ... The disadvantages are the cost, the cold start performance and in my opinion, at least for the Shorai, the need for a Shorai charger. I don't remove my batteries (also have a Shorai in the 1600 GT - 13lbs actual weight savings) during the winter. The charger maintains my batteries through the winter as I typically rotate the charger between the two bikes.

Thanks John. The cost appears to be close enough for me so that is not an issue. What cold start performance issues have you had?

The need for another (special) charger is perhaps the tipping point for me. The Revzilla page states:
  • Shorai Batteries require a charging system output of 13.1 Volts or higher at idle and must not exceed 15.2 volts at maximum output.
  • Shorai recommends NOT using a charger or tender if it has a desulfation mode which cannot be turned off. Shorai has confirmed that the Battery Tender brand does NOT have a desulfation mode and are OK for use with Shorai LFX batteries. However the best possible charger/tender for the Shorai LFX is the Shorai SHO-BMS01 Battery Management System.

Well the Shorai SHO-BMS01 adds another $76 to this battery purchase bringing it to $282 Not cheap.

I have the Battery Tender Plus 12V 1.25 Amp Battery Charger which I like and which works well for the current batteries I have.

There is a Battery Tender Junior 12V 800 Selectable Lead Acid/Lithium Charger at $45 that may do the trick with the Shorai battery. However for neither battery do I see a voltage range so that I might ascertain whether it is between the 13.1V to 15.2V noted on the Revzilla page.

Looking for those kinds of answers I went to YouTube and the search box came up with "charging shorai with battery tender" as I typed (suggesting others had similar questions …?). This video seems to suggest that it is not a problem.

One of the reasons I am cool to the Shorai charger (aside from extra cost) is that the pigtails have connectors that require pulling the battery out (completely or at least partially) whereas with my Battery Tender I already have a pigtail connected to the battery, so plug and play.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
I really have not had any cold start issues. Typically, if it is less than 50 degrees outside, I turn on the bike, finish putting my gloves/gear on (about a minute) and then start the engine. Usually that minute is enough to "warm up" the battery and start the engine.
(10-05-2018, 05:04 AM)Olgry1 Wrote: I really have not had any cold start issues. Typically, if it is less than 50 degrees outside, I turn on the bike, finish putting my gloves/gear on (about a minute) and then start the engine. Usually that minute is enough to "warm up" the battery and start the engine.

Is this only in the morning or every time you stop during the day?
Around 4 years ago a Tech told me we should use lithium batteries in the K1300S to save weight.
At that time he said we would need to wait 30 to 60 seconds to start the bike on days when it's in the 30s or 40s, even after a gas stop.

Have they improved where you only have to wait on the first start of the day?
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2,  2011 K1300S x 2,  2003 K1200RS x 2,  1991 K75S x 2,  1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
Aside from Lee's good questions, I am coming to the conclusion that maybe the modern AGM batteries are a better value for a person like me who needs to lose say 40 lbs, which would be far more significant a weight savings than less than say 5 lbs off a battery. Big Grin

I could probably buy 3 AGM batteries for the price of one Lithium battery and since my bike is only infrequently exposed to the cold I'd skip the battery warm-up routine (which is more "different" than onerous).
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(10-07-2018, 10:24 AM)Lee Wrote:
(10-05-2018, 05:04 AM)Olgry1 Wrote: I really have not had any cold start issues. Typically, if it is less than 50 degrees outside, I turn on the bike, finish putting my gloves/gear on (about a minute) and then start the engine. Usually that minute is enough to "warm up" the battery and start the engine.

Is this only in the morning or every time you stop during the day?
Around 4 years ago a Tech told me we should use lithium batteries in the K1300S to save weight.
At that time he said we would need to wait 30 to 60 seconds to start the bike on days when it's in the 30s or 40s, even after a gas stop.

Have they improved where you only have to wait on the first start of the day?

My experience has been that it is just the first start of the day. If it was in the 30s or 40s and I stopped for a 45 minute lunch I could see where you may want to turn the bike on and wait 30 seconds before trying to start it.
Thanks John
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2,  2011 K1300S x 2,  2003 K1200RS x 2,  1991 K75S x 2,  1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(10-08-2018, 12:20 PM)Lee Wrote: Thanks John

This morning I had the opportunity to test the Shorai battery on my K1600. The bike was outside all night and according to local weather it was 32 degrees when I started the bike. After turning the bike on I counted 10 seconds before hitting the starter button. The bike started as if it were 75 degrees out. Frankly it surprised me on how easily the bike started.
Well it looks like I will finally have to bite the bullet and replace the damned battery.

I have not ridden the bike in several days so it was sitting in the unheated (but hardly frigid) garage all this time, and we have been having some cold-for-Houston weather over that time. This morning, all suited up and ready for my 32 deg.F commute to the office, it refused to turn over. Would not even accept a jump start from my little power pack (that can and has started my truck's V8) although admittedly the connection might have been poor in my haste to start and leave for work.

I had done some research since the start of this thread, so will have to resume that and pull the trigger. Which option will I choose? ... watch for a video coming to a channel near you. Smile
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(02-02-2019, 10:13 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:

Nice vid. I've been taught when dealing with electrical connections on vehicles where the frame is grounded you always disconnect the negative terminal first, then disconnect the positive terminal. This prevents the possibility of shorting to ground when removing the positive connections. When re-installing, the positive is connected first and the negative terminal is connected last.
- Sam
2017 R1200RS Lupin Blue
2017 R nineT Scrambler
Sam, yes you are right - for safety reasons the negative is the first to come off and the last to go on, on vehicles which have a negative ground.

In this case I was a bit sloppy and took the positive off first, but on the RS, the remote positive terminal is not a pole but a recessed threaded hole once the screw is removed so there is no safety issue. Still, it is better to have the habit of disconnecting the negative terminal first.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
How does the Shorai compare to the antigravity battery? I keep reading about the later and some of the benefits for the jump start if needed .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(10-22-2020, 11:45 AM)Upinsmoke Wrote: How does the Shorai compare to the antigravity battery? I keep reading about the later and some of the benefits for the jump start if needed .

I have no clue. Olgry1 has a Shorai and may be able to compare. Also this Google search does some comparos but I bet none are using RS batteries ...
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
I can not compare my experience with my 4-5 Shorai batteries to the Antigravity as I have not had any experience with Antigravity.

From the Antigravity literature I've read in the past I seem to recall the Antigravity batteries was more generic and not as model specific like the Shorai. The size of the Shorai and the battery terminals locations make the Shorai close to a plug and play operation. If my recollection is correct the size of the Antigravity and the location of the terminals may require more fitting to facilitate a clean install.

Shorai.com has a model specific battery finder. From that you can find the dimensions and terminal locations as well as electrical output. I would imagine Antigravity would also have similar information on their website.

A negative on the Shorai is it requires their charger to keep the battery charged and battery cells balanced on a routine basis. A typical battery charger can charge the Shorai if need be but is not recommended for routine use.
I believe the Antigravity can be charged with a regular battery charger.
Having said all that I went back to the two web sites and quickly looked at some information. The size and weight of the two batteries is close to the same. The Antigravity battery has higher CCA 480 vs. 315 for Shorai. Price is similar and in my quick look I did not see anything related to routine charging.

Sorry for the confusion as obviously my recollection is not very good. Big Grin

Good luck with your decision making.
GG - Bringing this old thread up, I just ordered a Yuasa GYZ16H from Amazon at $121. The vendor is Motorheadzone. So I checked on their web site and the same battery is $180. Strange, and I ordered via Amazon with free shipping. My bike is 2017 so I have no complaints about the service life of the original battery.

Last fall I was having trouble starting the bike. Sometimes nothing when pushing the start button. Sometimes lights went dim. Sometimes started fine. So it might not actually be the battery. Might be poor contact in the start button, or other poor connection. But I'll start with the battery since I really don't feel like playing with the wires. Will update when I put this new battery into service.