Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1250GS/RTP Safety Recall
RCAK-23V011-6351.pdf (nhtsa.gov)

Recall: All 2019-2023 BMW R 1250 GS May Have Gearbox Input Shaft Break (rideapart.com)

Does anyone have more info on what is going on here?  How are the 1250 GS and RTP bikes different from 1250 RS and regular RT models?  How will a software update fix a breaking gear input shaft problem?
(01-27-2023, 06:59 AM)TriangleRider Wrote: ... How will a software update fix a breaking gear input shaft problem?

I wondered the same thing. The failure is likely because of the speed mismatch between the driving and the driven gears and the only way I can figure a software "fix" can help would be to make the transition more gradual, and that would suggest a cut in power at the right time.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
This was on the MOA forum.
Quote:Just been at the dealer today and spoke directly to the mechanic that I go along with very well. He showed me the bulletin in written form but said could not make me a copy because he's not allowed to. But he let me read it.

It explains very well what it was all of this about. It is traction control software update. So if you go offroad and have traction control off and rear wheel loose the contact with the ground, it will accelerate a lot if you're on accelerator. Then when the wheel makes a contact with a ground, the speed of the wheel is abruptly changed and it put a lot of stress on the drive shaft, U-joints, final drive and even a gear box. In that ocasion, one of those parts may brake.

The software update is to the last version that came out last November. That (November) update makes sure if the wheel lose contact with the ground, it will not accelerate.

The bikes that already had the November update are not included in this recall.

My bike was already booked for mid February for its annual service, so he said not to worry about anything and the update will be done at the service. While we were talking, he showed me one 2019 1250 GSA that was performing the update as it came in today for its annual service. He said it will take 4 hours to update as that particular bike had the firmware version from 2019. The older the version, the longer it takes to update. The bikes with newer versions can take less then one hour. While the bike is updating the software, the mechanics are not supposed to perform any other service on the bike. So they will make the annual service first and after they're done, they will connect the bike to update the software version.

Also, he said, all the 1250 engines on GS/GSA need this update, no metter the production date, except (as I said) the ones with software from November 2022 (that is the latest version). He said, the software updates come out twice a year, November and May every year.

So, our bikes will take this update either in scheduled service or will be called by letter. Because of that, I suggest that owners with second-hand bikes purchased privately and do their own service, call the dealer and check for the recall and book the bike. That is in case the BMW dealers don't have your name and phone number.

Finally, we can look at the bright side of this recall: all 1250 GS/GSA bikes will get the latest software version for free.

As for the RTP it's more likely to get a little air going over a curb ect.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(01-27-2023, 10:25 AM)Lee Wrote: As for the RTP it's more likely to get a little air going over a curb ect.

Thanks, Lee.  My guess is that all 1250 bikes will get this software at some point (and maybe already have).  It will be one of those hidden changes that each update carries.  Just more pressing for the few in the GS crowd that jump their bikes.
All the more reason to request your firmware be updated every time it's in for service.
Craig
'20 R1250RS
Previous
: '21 R1250RS, 
'03 K1200RS, '01 R1100RS, '83 R800
(01-27-2023, 10:25 AM)Lee Wrote: This was on the MOA forum.
Quote:...
It explains very well what it was all of this about. It is traction control software update. So if you go offroad and have traction control off and rear wheel loose the contact with the ground, it will accelerate a lot if you're on accelerator. Then when the wheel makes a contact with a ground, the speed of the wheel is abruptly changed and it put a lot of stress on the drive shaft, U-joints, final drive and even a gear box. In that ocasion, one of those parts may brake.

The software update is to the last version that came out last November. That (November) update makes sure if the wheel lose contact with the ground, it will not accelerate.

Hmmmm ... you'd think that they would have already thought about that, especially for a bike that has been around for some time now and quite often catches air if/when actually ridden offroad. I wonder if, since the 1200s are not included, they had the "good" software code ... Huh

I also wonder if this plays some part in at least some of the failures of the yokes of the cardan shafts. Those could well be the result of jerk.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(01-27-2023, 01:19 PM)Pyrrho Wrote: All the more reason to request your firmware be updated every time it's in for service.

I was going to say exactly the opposite.
(01-27-2023, 04:07 PM)TriangleRider Wrote:
(01-27-2023, 01:19 PM)Pyrrho Wrote: All the more reason to request your firmware be updated every time it's in for service.

I was going to say exactly the opposite.

I don't get updates unless I'm having a problem.
We only had two updates on our 1200s. One trying to fix a problem with false low oil level warnings and one to recalibrate the shift assist.
On our K1300Ss I don't remember having any updates done.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
I was at local a dealer today and all their R1250R and RS bikes had hold tags on them. Dealer said it was due to a recall so they could not be delivered to customers. The manager did not know the details but did tell me he could sell the bike but he couldn't let me take it. I guess it was related to this recall ?
(03-04-2023, 03:27 PM)windyrun Wrote: I was at local a dealer today and all their R1250R and RS bikes had hold tags on them. Dealer said it was due to a recall so they could not be delivered to customers. The manager did not know the details but did tell me he could sell the bike he couldn't let me take it. I guess it was related to this recall ?

At least the R/RS are getting some attention ... whether or not it is related to the same recall as for the GS and RTs. Makes little sense that they are not all recalled given that they are all boxers with very similar design characteristics. Of course, the fact that BMW is playing their cards close to their chest and not releasing many details and leaving the consumer to guess - and possibly jump to the wrong conclusions - does not help at all. At some point some of us will get fed up with all the eff-ing drama.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
BEARR on the other RS site had his dealer tell him there was a Stop Sale order on his 2023 RS because of a swingarm bolt recall.
Later that day he was told his 2023 RS was not affected and he could pick up his bike when it was ready.

When I Google R1250RS Stop Sale swingarm bolt all I see is the RS forum thread and a old recall for the RnineT 2014-2017.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport