Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driveshaft prices are dropping
Was chatting with Darrell yesterday and apparently the price for the driveshafts for BMW R-bikes are dropping ... reportedly as low as $219.

When I do a search on the ASCycles parts fiche for the shaft for my 2016 R1200RS the part number returned is 33 73 8 531 102 and they want $732.22 for it, down from about $1200 where it was for years.

However there is more. Apparently BMW has changed the part number to 33 73 5 A67 0C3, saying that it replaces 33 73 8 531 102. ASCycles does show a listing for 33 73 5 A67 0C3 and their price is $219.10. This is the same as listed on the official BMW Motorrad website, which shows the following, confirming the new price:

This "new" driveshaft appears to be very similar to the one in my R1200RS and they claim it is a replacement for the original part number. There is some discussion on the MOA Forum about driveshaft phasing (i.e. it not being the same as the old shaft) but unless we have an actual picture of the 33 73 8 531 102 and the 33 73 5 A67 0C3 side by side and take measurements of the phase angle we can't know for sure. The sketches sure look the same but that could be copy-paste from one fiche item to the other. I can tell you that the phase angle on my shaft is not 90 degrees, so comparison without measurement is nonsense.

SO, now they have a "new" driveshaft with new part number. What else is new? Maybe phasing, maybe new heat treatment on the yokes?? New material, maybe? The [primary?] failures of these cardan shafts appears to mostly be at the yokes, so improving that part would solve the problem, in my view. 

One thing I believe is this - this is a much better indication of them addressing the failures of these shafts than any installation of the duck-bill rubber drain valves on the underside of the shaft housing.

Question for me is ... do I snap up one of these new shafts and replace mine as a preventative measure, or wait until it fails ...  Huh
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
I had a nice long phone call with Mark in CA yesterday and he brought this to my attention after he had a discussion with Brown Motor Works, his CA dealer.  Mark left with the impression this price may be temporary as the dealers work through the service bulletin which states any GS/GSA/RTP bikes over 36,000 miles get new drive shafts in addition to those that don’t meet the test to check performance of the drive shafts.  Of course the duck bill is being installed on all these bikes as they are brought in for service.

As Wayne mentioned should he order one.  I now have 2 bikes with the same drive shaft part number so have to consider.  If I remember correctly Mark ordered one for his now 160,000 mile RS.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

When I saw the $219 price shown on the MOA I figured it was a misprint on the fiche.
$219 was about what we paid for K75 driveshafts back in the late 90s.
It was not unusual to replace a K75 driveshaft when they got to 70,000 miles or so.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(02-22-2023, 08:08 AM)darrell Wrote: … the service bulletin which states any GS/GSA/RTP bikes over 36,000 miles get new drive shafts in addition to those that don’t meet the test to check performance of the drive shafts.  Of course the duck bill is being installed on all these bikes as they are brought in for service.

As Wayne mentioned should he order one.  I now have 2 bikes with the same drive shaft part number so have to consider.  If I remember correctly Mark ordered one for his now 160,000 mile RS.

I am yet to hear reports of the RSs being considered for this service, and that really annoys me no end. Has anyone else heard of any RS owner receiving any letter from BMW Motorrad / USA in regard to this service? Again, it is as if the RS is the red-haired stepchild of the model lineup.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
My bike only has 9000 miles on it, but I'm tempted to buy one of these to have on hand.
(03-04-2023, 10:31 AM)Paul911 Wrote: My bike only has 9000 miles on it, but I'm tempted to buy one of these to have on hand.

I am starting to think that one cannot go wrong ... unless the prices drop even further. I mean let's say they go back up ... you could make money if you happen to sell the shaft by itself. I have since bought one, just in case.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
I did a little searching and found this.

https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/en/item/bmw-33735A670C3

Notice the list of "suitable for". I think I'll also call either Max or Sierra tomorrow and get their take. I'll report back. Thanks for finding this.
If I'm reading that correctly the shipped price to the USA is about 208 USD.
Happiness comes not from what you have, but from enjoying all that you do have no matter how much or little that may be.
(03-06-2023, 05:28 AM)Motorhead1977 Wrote: If I'm reading that correctly the shipped price to the USA is about 208 USD.

Makes you wonder what the markup is, since you know that they are making a profit even with that US$208 (if correct). Even more ridiculous markup when the price was US$1200 from dealerships here. Happy with the US$219 I paid, shipped from California from a genuine BMW dealership I know and trust.  Smile
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
I also ordered the $219 driveshaft from BMW Motorcycles of Roanoke Valley. Given the history of my driveshaft, a new one would give me a bit of peace of mind.
(03-07-2023, 09:37 PM)mspratz Wrote: I also ordered the $219 driveshaft from BMW Motorcycles of Roanoke Valley. Given the history of my driveshaft, a new one would give me a bit of peace of mind.

Got an email from them that it is now backordered until 4/15. I'm going to keep the order active and see what transpires.
Mine is on the way, but I bought from a different dealer. Should get here on Friday.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Smile 
(03-08-2023, 07:02 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Mine is on the way, but I bought from a different dealer. Should get here on Friday.

I'm curious to hear how it looks when you get it. The description "prop shaft" is interesting. I hope it really is a driveshaft, and not a "prop shaft" (whatever that is) with the wrong picture.
What dealer did you order from? I check the MAX Bmw site, who I usually order from, and the search by part number found nothing.
(03-09-2023, 08:50 AM)mspratz Wrote:
(03-08-2023, 07:02 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Mine is on the way, but I bought from a different dealer. Should get here on Friday.

I'm curious to hear how it looks when you get it. The description "prop shaft" is interesting. I hope it really is a driveshaft, and not a "prop shaft" (whatever that is) with the wrong picture.
What dealer did you order from? I check the MAX Bmw site, who I usually order from, and the search by part number found nothing.

It so happens that I just got a text from USPS that it is not arriving Friday as expected but is now arriving within the next 4 hours - 1 day early! I will take pictures and update the thread, provided it is not stolen from in front of my front door, as no one is home until 4 hours from now.

I am not too concerned in the terminology used (language notwithstanding) - prop shaft vs driveshaft - since there is no standard that governs what each is called. Convention is not a standard. I went by the allegation that it was a replacement for the original part, and the same sketch (copy-paste?) in the fiche. 

Got it from my preferred BMW-online source, ASCycles in California - no drama always been satisfied so far.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
As requested, pictures of the driveshaft.

Unboxing:

Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
"prop shaft" is often used to describe the drive shaft on independent suspension, RWD or AWD cars.
Look's like we created a shortage of drive shafts.
Mark
So It Goes.

SoCal USA
My new driveshaft just arrived. I verified that it is the new part number that Grumpy identified for us. Interestingly, it has 22 splines at the front end and 20 at the rear. I can only assume (and hope) that the original shaft is the same. Manufacture date is 02.03.23 (March 2, 2023). The space between the large diameter (~2 inches) casing of the front half and the smaller diameter (~1 inch) shaft of the rear half is filled with a high density rubber-like compound. I can't remember whether the same is true of the original.
Given the history of my current (original) driveshaft, I intend to swap it out for this new one sometime soon.

(04-07-2023, 12:31 PM)mspratz Wrote: ... The space between the large diameter (~2 inches) casing of the front half and the smaller diameter (~1 inch) shaft of the rear half is filled with a high density rubber-like compound. I can't remember whether the same is true of the original.

Hmmmm ... I will say that I never looked closely at this area in either shaft.

(04-07-2023, 12:31 PM)mspratz Wrote: Given the history of my current (original) driveshaft, I intend to swap it out for this new one sometime soon.

Looking forward to your feedback on that. I will likely not replace mine even at the next 12k spline service, unless needed.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(03-04-2023, 04:14 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:
(03-04-2023, 10:31 AM)Paul911 Wrote: My bike only has 9000 miles on it, but I'm tempted to buy one of these to have on hand.

I am starting to think that one cannot go wrong ... unless the prices drop even further. I mean let's say they go back up ... you could make money if you happen to sell the shaft by itself. I have since bought one, just in case.

Hi Grumpy - been a while since I visited this site - apologies!

I haven't heard of problems with the RS driveshaft, can you give me further information? Is it a mileage problem?