Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin Yellow Panniers
Welcome! I have a question for the UK (and elsewhere) .... Is it possible to source a set of RS panniers in Austin Yellow paint? According to the parts fiche the only colors available here in the US are Granit Grey, Light White, Asphalt Grey and Black storm. TIA for any input from across the pond.
Happiness comes not from what you have, but from enjoying all that you do have no matter how much or little that may be.
Doesn't look like it, panniers are only listed on the UK website in Asphalt Grey, Black Storm Metallic and Light White (wonder what dark white is...)
Moved over to its own thread for better visibility.

This search shows that there are top cases with Austin Yellow side panels but they appear to be for the C scooters. No images in an RS-specific search comes up with Austin Yellow panniers. May have to get a body shop to paint them for you - paint code appears to be B67. I wouldn't think it would be hard.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Wayne A&S and MAX BMW show WN2S for the paint code.

FOR VEHICLES WITH
AUSTIN YELLOW METALLIC MATT (CODE: WN2S)

COLOR MIXTURE CODE
M3L AUSTIN-YELLOW
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(03-16-2023, 08:20 AM)Lee Wrote: Wayne A&S and MAX BMW show WN2S for the paint code.

FOR VEHICLES WITH
AUSTIN YELLOW METALLIC MATT (CODE: WN2S)

COLOR MIXTURE CODE
M3L AUSTIN-YELLOW

I'd go with that since it came from the dealer websites. 

I will confess that the code I provided was by touch-up paint manufacturers. I suppose the codes could be according to different schemes but are actually equivalent ...? No idea - just trying to help. Smile
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
GG awesome information. I've talked with a body shop near me and they've quoted me $350/bag including paint prep only, not including any blemish/scaring corrections so I figured that if I can buy new from BMW I can then sell my Asphalt Grey bags and end up spending less overall. Oh well, one can dream, no? LoL
Happiness comes not from what you have, but from enjoying all that you do have no matter how much or little that may be.
(03-16-2023, 06:38 PM)Motorhead1977 Wrote: GG awesome information. I've talked with a body shop near me and they've quoted me $350/bag including paint prep only, not including any blemish/scaring corrections so I figured that if I can buy new from BMW I can then sell my Asphalt Grey bags and end up spending less overall. Oh well, one can dream, no? LoL

That's a bit steep! And no fillers to boot. I would get some other quotes if I were you. 

I had a quarter panel on a vehicle of mine resprayed with some body work done for about that price. Now that was a few years ago (maybe 10?) but I'd think that panniers should be similar or maybe $500 for the pair depending on the damage to be corrected. How much of that are we talking about anyway ... can't be much.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Late to the thread, but yes, you need to get them painted.  The color code is available, but matching the factory matte finish is tough.  Mine are good up to about two feet away.

Looks great, and from this distance is well worth it.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(03-17-2023, 03:47 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Looks great, and from this distance is well worth it.

Thanks.  With this setup, I felt comfortable dispensing with the Hi-Viz jacket. Big Grin
That's exactly what I'm looking for. I've been looking for another local body/paint shop. However I'll PM you for info about who did yours if you're willing to share. I'm in NC at least 1 or 2 times a year and would happily arrange for that shop to do the work if they still have the data for mixing paint etc.
(03-17-2023, 06:48 PM)Motorhead1977 Wrote: That's exactly what I'm looking for. I've been looking for another local body/paint shop. However I'll PM you for info about who did yours if you're willing to share. I'm in NC at least 1 or 2 times a year and would happily arrange for that shop to do the work if they still have the data for mixing paint etc.

I purchased them already painted, so I can't be of much help.
Here's an update: the paint supplier was able to get what looks like a very good match using the mixing code supplied here. Thanks Lee and GG. (BTW the "BMW" paint isn't cheap). The top box and bag covers are at the painting shop waiting for them to fit them in with their other work. Surprisingly all the covers are fairly easy to remove from the complete box/bag so there's less work by the painter. Hopefully I'll have everything back by the end of the week but that's being really really hopeful.....more to come.
(04-06-2023, 05:45 AM)Motorhead1977 Wrote: . (BTW the "BMW" paint isn't cheap).

They use BASF Glasurit

https://refinish.basf.us/brands/glasurit/
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(04-06-2023, 05:45 AM)Motorhead1977 Wrote: Here's an update: the paint supplier was able to get what looks like a very good match using the mixing code supplied here. Thanks Lee and GG. (BTW the "BMW" paint isn't cheap). The top box and bag covers are at the painting shop waiting for them to fit them in with their other work. Surprisingly all the covers are fairly easy to remove from the complete box/bag so there's less work by the painter. Hopefully I'll have everything back by the end of the week but that's being really really hopeful.....more to come.

Very interested to hear how this all turns out. With that unique colour, those additional painted surfaces will make for a dramatic looking bike.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
I don't remember. Is it possible to remove the lid from the frame?

Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Lee, yes it is. If you notice the darker black section near/around the hinges there are IIRC 4 screws that hold that cover in place. Once those screws are removed the cover removes and the hinges can be separated from the frame. The reflector can also be removed as well.
I bought a quart of paint (I know - over kill but didn't want to need more if a pint wasn't enough for all 3 lids and end up with some variation in the color due to slight mixing differences) and the price was just shy of $400.00. If I end up with enough extra for another set of lids I'll make that known here so someone can use it.
Well my lids are finally painted and the lids attached bags. Have them on the bike. Here's a picture
Very nice job.

[Image: AJFCJaWpZBXMkKzL_fhy_ZxPviw117g6oCYMwzjN...authuser=0]
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS