Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil level check
So a really stupid question, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere, and this is my first BMW.
Is the oil level checked on the R1250RS on the side stand or the center stand? Or by having someone stand the bike upright? The side stand stance is so steep that I could imagine they smartly set it up so that I could check it like that, but...
I hate viewing glass for oil checks. Same thing with my FZ10 and I had to calibrate it to using the rear stand to be able to do it independently.

Thanks anyone who won't laugh me out of the forum for asking this!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
(06-01-2023, 04:27 PM)MarionK Wrote: So a really stupid question, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere, and this is my first BMW.
Is the oil level checked on the R1250RS on the side stand or the center stand? Or by having someone stand the bike upright? The side stand stance is so steep that I could imagine they smartly set it up so that I could check it like that, but...
I hate viewing glass for oil checks. Same thing with my FZ10 and I had to calibrate it to using the rear stand to be able to do it independently.

Thanks anyone who won't laugh me out of the forum for asking this!

Not a stupid question.
Check the oil level after a ride long enough to get the oil hot and put the bike on the centerstand.
Best to do it on a surface you know is flat.
Check the oil after 5 or 10 minute. The manual will say how long to wait.
At home I ride at least 30 miles to get the oil hot and check it after the bike has sat overnight.

Top of the red circle in the site glass is the Max level and bottom of the red circle in the Minimum level.
Same as the Max and Min lines on a vehicle dipstick.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
Thank you, Lee!