Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E-Key
So, I picked up a nice 2023 Triple Black last month and noted that the E-key was missing from the package. I relayed this to my sales guy and told him I'd pick it up when I came in for plates and registration.  Today I go in to get the plates and reg, and he tells me that there is a chip shortage and BMW has recalled all of the E-keys and can't provide one at this time.  Sort of sucks.  I was wondering if anyone else has run into this issue.  There's a thread about it over on the BMW MOA forum and it appears this story was given to at least one other at a different dealer.  I've had all sorts of stories told to me on sales floors and I'm just wondering about this one and what to do.  I'd really like the ability to start up if the fob gets lost, or misplaced, without going down the new fob road as a first option. I don't really even know if BMW will make it right in some way down the road.
(06-16-2023, 08:07 PM)saread Wrote: So, I picked up a nice 2023 Triple Black last month and noted that the E-key was missing from the package. I relayed this to my sales guy and told him I'd pick it up when I came in for plates and registration.  Today I go in to get the plates and reg, and he tells me that there is a chip shortage and BMW has recalled all of the E-keys and can't provide one at this time.  

The explanation may well be true and is plausible given the articles here. I suggest you get an IOU from the dealership so that if/when this is resolved you have something to rely on if they don't call you first. Congratulations on the bike, and be very careful with your key fob and where it is kept. Mine is in my jacket at all times and in the 7 years of ownership there has never been a misplacement or a need for the emergency key.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
GG is correct - get a written guaranty that the dealer will provide you with the E-key at some later date or immediately provide another regular key fob(E-keys can't be carried in a wallet so a regular fob should be suitable for your needs) or emergency delivery of another fob if you become stranded. Without a written guaranty (and signed by the dealer manager - not just a sales person who arguably has no authority to bind the dealer) good luck with getting one when memories have faded or personnel have changed.
My buddy had his '23 RS delivered in late February including the E-key. So exactly when did this chip shortage develop? Additionally, why would they recall existing E-keys due to a "chip shortage"? Wouldn't a "chip shortage" mean that no NEW E-keys could be produced? Something about this doesn't sound kosher to me but I'm skeptical of most things like this until it's proven different.
Happiness comes not from what you have, but from enjoying all that you do have no matter how much or little that may be.
(06-16-2023, 08:07 PM)saread Wrote: There's a thread about it over on the BMW MOA forum and it appears this story was given to at least one other at a different dealer. 

So far you and the guy on the MOA forum are the only ones I have read about.
I'm surprised BMW didn't ship the RS without keyless.
Not having a emergency key can strand you.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
Firearms dealers are notorious for snagging magazines or other accessories from the box to keep for inventory before delivering the gun to the purchaser. I wonder if this is one of those. The dealer snags the E-key for another customer, or to put back into the parts room for future sales as they may be a bit hard to get. This comes to mind as the 40 mm torx wrench was also missing from the tool kit. The recall story may be industry smoke. I don't want to talk smack about my dealer (yet), so far they've been pretty good. And, I don't know if an E-key can even be repurposed. Speculation only.

I had another thought. The antenna for the E-key is supposed to be under the front part of the rear seat. I can't determine if there's an antenna in that location or not. If it's not there, then this bike will never have an E-key solution. Does anyone know what it looks like, if anything? If the bike was built with no intention of implementing an E-key, there may well be a conversation with BMW. There is ample documentation that the keyless system has a recovery option and that needs to be provided.

At the end of the day, this isn't the biggest deal in the world. I know to stash a spare fob battery and if I need an E-key, I have roadside assistance via BMW during warranty and Progressive regardless. Pain in the backside I know. But cost wise, a lost fob (or defect out of warranty) is the same. However, it would be monumentally preferable to salvage a ride if the fob goes missing or dead.
(06-17-2023, 10:53 AM)saread Wrote: I had another thought. The antenna for the E-key is supposed to be under the front part of the rear seat.  I can't determine if there's an antenna in that location or not.  If it's not there, then this bike will never have an E-key solution.

Your bike would not start without that antenna. The same antenna is used for the fob and emergency key.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(06-17-2023, 11:35 AM)Lee Wrote:
(06-17-2023, 10:53 AM)saread Wrote: I had another thought. The antenna for the E-key is supposed to be under the front part of the rear seat.  I can't determine if there's an antenna in that location or not.  If it's not there, then this bike will never have an E-key solution.

Your bike would not start without that antenna. The same antenna is used for the fob and emergency key.

The product data (Owner's Manual) refers to two antennas.  The electronic immobilizer is supposed to utilize a ring antenna on the ignition switch that communicates with the fob with a separate ring antenna located under the seat.  The system may very well utilize both antennas, but the manual notes that the bike won't start if the fob is too far away from the antenna (approx. 1 m). It specifically notes that this can happen if the fob is in the top case or pannier.  All of this implies to me that the antenna at the ignition switch is for the fob and the seat antenna is for the E-key, just based on the geometry.  Again, the system may very well use both. I'm a FNG and will defer to those who know.  I will look closer.  Thanks for the help.
(06-17-2023, 12:59 PM)saread Wrote:
(06-17-2023, 11:35 AM)Lee Wrote:

The product data (Owner's Manual) refers to two antennas.  The electronic immobilizer is supposed to utilize a ring antenna on the ignition switch that communicates with the fob with a separate ring antenna located under the seat.  The system may very well utilize both antennas, but the manual notes that the bike won't start if the fob is too far away from the antenna (approx. 1 m). It specifically notes that this can happen if the fob is in the top case or pannier.  All of this implies to me that the antenna at the ignition switch is for the fob and the seat antenna is for the E-key, just based on the geometry.  Again, the system may very well use both. I'm a FNG and will defer to those who know.  I will look closer.  Thanks for the help.

I did not know there were two.
You do need the one under the seat. If the battery in the fob is dead you place the fob on the antenna under the seat.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

" If the battery in the fob is dead you place the fob on the antenna under the seat." Lee, I didn't know that. I can't find any mention of it in my owners manual, just the bit about the emergency key.
Happiness comes not from what you have, but from enjoying all that you do have no matter how much or little that may be.
(06-18-2023, 04:36 AM)Motorhead1977 Wrote: " If the battery in the fob is dead you place the fob on the antenna under the seat." Lee, I didn't know that. I can't find any mention of it in my owners manual, just the bit about the emergency key.

This is from my manual:

Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(06-17-2023, 12:59 PM)saread Wrote: The product data (Owner's Manual) refers to two antennas.  The electronic immobilizer is supposed to utilize a ring antenna on the ignition switch that communicates with the fob with a separate ring antenna located under the seat. 

I forgot the bikes with a regular key needs a antenna ring at the ignition switch.
My K1300S was like that. The chipped key didn't need a battery to extend it's range because the key was right next to the antenna ring when the key was in the switch.
The early K1200Ss had problems with faulty antenna rings at the switch (maybe all BMWs in that period with chipped keys). People used to carry a spare antenna ring. You could get at the connector to plug in a new ring and zip tie it to the switch to get you home.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Interesting. My manual doesn't show the fob kludge either. It just notes to change the battery in the fob when it's dead and shows the E-key solution for a lost fob. I wonder.... I guess I will have to pull the battery out of my fob and see if it works over the seat ring antenna (assuming it is there). I will do so and report back. Doesn't do you any good if you lose your fob, but might be a fix if you didn't stash a spare battery. Of course, all things being equal, it's way easier to just stash a spare battery under the seat.
(06-18-2023, 09:15 AM)saread Wrote: Of course, all things being equal, it's way easier to just stash a spare battery under the seat.

Wallet is better ... keeps it out of the heat.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(06-18-2023, 09:15 AM)saread Wrote: Interesting.  My manual doesn't show the fob kludge either.  It just notes to change the battery in the fob when it's dead and shows the E-key solution for a lost fob.

Looks like that information is no longer in the newer manuals.
It was in my 2016 manual but is not in my 2022 manual. I checked the paper manual and the PDF manual.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

(06-18-2023, 10:27 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:
(06-18-2023, 09:15 AM)saread Wrote: Of course, all things being equal, it's way easier to just stash a spare battery under the seat.

Fair point. Maybe not my wallet though.  I'm not sitting on anything lithium ion, ever.  I still don't understand people who put their cell phones in their back pocket and don't mind sitting on it - cue my wife. Shorted lithium ion batteries are ugly.  Even small ones.  Not going to risk a mini-Tesla incident anywhere near anything I consider sensitive.  Call me old fashioned (at least it would be something less profane than I'm usually called).
Well, whaddayaknow. The fob over the seat ring antenna trick that Grumpy Goat showed works with a 2023 RS. I pulled the battery out of my fob, removed the rear seat and placed the dead fob over the ring antenna as shown above. Shazam! The TFT lights up and the bike starts. I got a warning on the TFT to not shut off the bike as it may not start again because I was using a dead fob. But, the engine was running and the bike was mobile. Learn something new every day. Thanks for the trick.
(06-18-2023, 10:27 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:

With the 1250, the TFT gives a warning when the fob battery is less than 50%. That leaves plenty of time to replace the battery without worrying about carrying a spare.
(06-20-2023, 04:46 AM)TriangleRider Wrote: With the 1250, the TFT gives a warning when the fob battery is less than 50%. That leaves plenty of time to replace the battery without worrying about carrying a spare.

The warning comes from the ECU, since the old display on the 2016 1200RSs also has a long grace period. The problem is the icon shrinks the clock display so for those of us with a bit of OCD it is an irritant until resolved.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(06-19-2023, 05:48 PM)saread Wrote: Well, whaddayaknow.  The fob over the seat ring antenna trick that Grumpy Goat showed works with a 2023 RS.  I pulled the battery out of my fob, removed the rear seat and placed the dead fob over the ring antenna as shown above.  Shazam! The TFT lights up and the bike starts.  I got a warning on the TFT to not shut off the bike as it may not start again because I was using a dead fob.  But, the engine was running and the bike was mobile.  Learn something new every day.  Thanks for the trick.

You can put the seat back on but you'll have to repeat the procedure after shutting off the bike. Chances are you'll ride home or to a store to buy a 2032 battery.
Cars with keyless also have a spot to place a fob when the fob battery is dead.

I replace our bike fob batteries each year so I have never seen the low battery warning.
I also replace the 2032 batteries each year on my bicycles.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

(06-20-2023, 06:14 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:
(06-20-2023, 04:46 AM)TriangleRider Wrote: With the 1250, the TFT gives a warning when the fob battery is less than 50%. That leaves plenty of time to replace the battery without worrying about carrying a spare.

The warning comes from the ECU, since the old display on the 2016 1200RSs also has a long grace period. The problem is the icon shrinks the clock display so for those of us with a bit of OCD it is an irritant until resolved.

Makes total sense! Not an issue with the TFT, though, which allows you to cancel the warning.