Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BMW Connected App?
New to the R1200RS and trying to figure out all the available tech.  I have a fully loaded 2016 with an installed Navigator VI.  Does the Connected App work with this setup or is it only for newer bikes that have the TFT color screen? Also what is best source for using the NAV VI for route planning and everyday usage.  I’m figuring out the magic multifunction wheel but that seems to just toggle through screens and function on the Nav.  Is that the only application for the magic wheel or does it have other functions?  Is there a good resource for BMW tech like an Apple Genius Bar or similar YouTube resources?  I only have Apple products.

Thanks in advance!
The Connected App only works on the TFT models, by way of Bluetooth, the 1200 RS does not have Bluetooth.
2020 R1250 RS
2022 K1600 GT
2022 Kawasaki H2SXSE
Niwot CO USA
Nice bike.

One uses the Garmin Smartphone link to communicate traffic and weather to the Nav VI.

I use the Rever pro mapping with a butler map overlay ( in a quest to do every gold route I can in my travels from A to B.)

Used to be, one could download the GPX to the Nav as a track, then convert it to a trip as long as the re-calculate mode was off. A couple of software updates ago, Garmin set up an auto recalculate when I hit go that I can't turn off....so being a little lazy and a little less interested in my electronics bossing me around the country, I simply memorize the route and follow the trac on the NAV.
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
I appreciate the feedback. I’ve always been a map/butler map person and also have the REVER app mainly for tracking or getting back on course if I took a wrong turn, but have been cautious on using my phone in a mounted position as I had an iPhone camera go bad from the vibes when I owned an R9T. Now the phone stays in my pocket or bag and connected through my SENA as needed. I’ll checkout the Garmin smartphone app and learn to plan,export the gpx into the unit and poi waypoints.
Assuming this is the correct app as there are many in the App Store
Link https://apps.apple.com/us/app/garmin-sma...d567725209
This is the other one that looked interesting and is rated better https://apps.apple.com/us/app/garmin-drive/id1276198893
(06-27-2023, 04:00 AM)NachoG35 Wrote: Assuming this is the correct app as there are many in the App Store
Link https://apps.apple.com/us/app/garmin-sma...d567725209
This is the other one that looked interesting and is rated better https://apps.apple.com/us/app/garmin-drive/id1276198893

The first one you listed is the correct one. Works well enough but is not perfect. Not sure why it has 2/5 stars, but don't put too much stock in that.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
(06-27-2023, 03:54 AM)NachoG35 Wrote: I ... have been cautious on using my phone in a mounted position as I had an iPhone camera go bad from the vibes when I owned an R9T.  Now the phone stays in my pocket or bag and connected through my SENA as needed.  ...

You can use a Quadlock Mount with Vibration Dampener to mount your iPhone to the handlebars without any damage to the camera's autofocus hardware. See these videos: Installation, Test.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(06-26-2023, 09:41 PM)NachoG35 Wrote: New to the R1200RS and trying to figure out all the available tech.  I have a fully loaded 2016 with an installed Navigator VI.  Does the Connected App work with this setup or is it only for newer bikes that have the TFT color screen?

Like Ron said, it only works with the newer bikes that have the the TFT screen.

(06-26-2023, 09:41 PM)NachoG35 Wrote: Also what is best source for using the NAV VI for route planning and everyday usage.  

We all have different ways of planning routes so there is no "best" for all, IMO. When it comes to route planning, some use Garmin Basecamp (ugh!), while others use other apps, but at the end of the day I think that creating the route you want and then importing it via a GPX file is the way to go. I have not heard of anyone planning a serious (as in multi-day) route using the GPS directly.

(06-26-2023, 09:41 PM)NachoG35 Wrote: I’m figuring out the magic multifunction wheel but that seems to just toggle through screens and function on the Nav.  Is that the only application for the magic wheel or does it have other functions?  

That is basically it ... good for navigating through the screens of the GPS on bikes like ours without the TFT. On other bikes with more sophisticated displays it can be used to navigate through those as well. If one has a CAN-Bus controller such as the Denali CANSmart Controller or the HexEZCan (and I assume the Clearwater CANOpener), the wheel can be used also to switch on/modify other functions controlled by those controllers.

(06-26-2023, 09:41 PM)NachoG35 Wrote: Is there a good resource for BMW tech like an Apple Genius Bar or similar YouTube resources?  I only have Apple products.

Can't advise you on that since I only have one Apple Product (iPhone XR).
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(06-26-2023, 09:41 PM)NachoG35 Wrote: Also what is best source for using the NAV VI for route planning and everyday usage.  

I’m figuring out the magic multifunction wheel but that seems to just toggle through screens and function on the Nav.  Is that the only application for the magic wheel or does it have other functions?  

As Grumpy said, we all have our own preferences. I love how Calimoto allows multiple routing preferences in a single route, so I use Calimoto to make the route and then transfer the GPX to the Nav 6 via BaseCamp.

In addition to changing screens, the multifunction wheel allows you to zoom in/out on the NavVI map screens.
I have the same same set up and have not found any software yet to my liking.
I'd rather be tinkering around than fussing about with lame software.
It could very well be I have not given it the time.
R&D department
Thanks for all the replies will let you know as I find my way…
Grumpy you are the GOAT greatest of all time if you’re ever in Tucson a cup of coffee or adult beverage will be coming your way.
(06-27-2023, 03:54 AM)NachoG35 Wrote:  I’ll checkout the Garmin smartphone app and learn to plan,export the gpx into the unit and poi waypoints.

There's old instructions on the Rever website on downloading GPX to Garmin Navigators. They have a specific button for downloading GPX to BMW Garmin Navigators that has never worked. 

Rever is pretty good at getting back to folks. You might ask them for current instructions for the NAV VI that might not have made it officially into the Website. You have that great cradle for the NAV VI; might as well use it. Beats most phone mounts.
(06-27-2023, 08:19 AM)TriangleRider Wrote:

I’m figuring out the magic multifunction wheel but that seems to just toggle through screens and function on the Nav.  Is that the only application for the magic wheel or does it have other functions?  

..., so I use Calimoto to make the route and then transfer the GPX to the Nav 6 via BaseCamp.

In addition to changing screens, the multifunction wheel allows you to zoom in/out on the NavVI map screens.

My understanding is that you should be able to directly download the .gpx file into the gpx folder in the NAV VI.... I used to go through BaseCamp until Bob pointed out the unnecessary extra step in 2019.

That said, now that I can't turn tracks into trip (or don't know how), does transferring through basecamp add the waypoints to create a trip in the Nav VI with turn-by-turn instructions?
Thanks for all the knowledge!