Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from Japan!!
    I just traded in my 2015 F800GT for a new 1250RS and couldn't be happier. I'm originally from the US but have lived in Japan for 37 years. We have some fantastic roads with little to no traffic to tour on so just love riding. I hope to learn more about the bike and those that ride it. The only issue I'm having is the the wireless phone charging cradle. It causes the phone to get extremely hot.
Thanks for letting me join.
Welcome!! Please share a photo of your new RS. There's a wealth of knowledge here. Use the search function and if you don't find what you need just ask.
Happiness comes not from what you have, but from enjoying all that you do have no matter how much or little that may be.
Beautiful bike(s) (including the one in the background).

Are those friction pads or just decals on the side of the tank?
Who makes them?
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
Thanks for the update photo. Very nice. I'm also curious about the graphics on the side of the tank.
Happiness comes not from what you have, but from enjoying all that you do have no matter how much or little that may be.
(07-18-2023, 11:15 PM)Ray Wrote: Beautiful bike(s) (including the one in the background).

Who makes them?

Hello, Sorry for the late reply. Yes there are nonskid stickers. They are better than I expected. I got them on on Yahoo Auction in Japan. I can try and find them if you’re interested.
(07-18-2023, 04:36 PM)Bimmerman Wrote: I just traded in my 2015 F800GT for a new 1250RS and couldn't be happier. I'm originally from the US but have lived in Japan for 37 years. We have some fantastic roads with little to no traffic to tour on so just love riding. I hope to learn more about the bike and those that ride it. ...

You are most welcome! Not many members (if any) from Japan, even if a US transplant. Smile This is a great place to learn about the R1200RS / R1250RS, including the parent website - RSWasserboxer.com.

I recently returned from a business trip to Japan and watch many videos from Japanese content creators (not motorcycle-related) and am familiar with the roads, which I found can be narrow and for smaller Japanese vehicles. But yes, the traffic volume especially in the rural areas, can be low and conducive to fun motorcycle riding.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Thanks for the welcome. I hope I can become a valuable member and learn more about the bike.
(07-19-2023, 04:28 AM)Motorhead1977 Wrote: Thanks for the update photo. Very nice. I'm also curious about the graphics on the side of the tank.
They are stick on friction pads. I got them on Yahoo auction Japan. Here is a link for ones that are still being sold. Not cheap I'm afraid but I'm very happy with them. https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auc...1061145236
(07-18-2023, 11:15 PM)Ray Wrote: Beautiful bike(s) (including the one in the background).

Who makes them?

Hello again, I was able to find the same tank pads that I bought here on Ali Express. I have purchased stuff from them with no problem even though it takes some time to get. Here is the link if you're interested.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10050050...2982376850
@Bimmerman, thanks for the AliExpress link. Tank pads ordered. I'll report back once they're received. Delivery promised in 14 days.
Tank pads via AliExpress arrived. They're larger than what's pictured in their advertising and the fit is poor enough that I'm going to file for a refund. #Bimmerman, if necessary can you assist with my PO ordering a set like you got?
#Bimmerman, I ordered a set from the Yahoo link you posted. Hopefully it all works out. ?
Just saw your message. I'm sorry to hear the Ali pads weren't the same. I thought they were exactly like the ones I got on Yahoo Japan.
 The photos show the exact same thing that I have and I am happy with my fit. I took photos of mine on each side and the only regret I have I I put the one on the right side a tad higher than I would have like as the edge is right on the fold of the gas tank. It would have been better to put it just a bit lower but it is a minor gripe.
(08-03-2023, 07:05 PM)Motorhead1977 Wrote: Tank pads via AliExpress arrived. They're larger than what's pictured in their advertising and the fit is poor enough that I'm going to file for a refund. #Bimmerman, if necessary can you assist with my PO ordering a set like you got?

I would be happy to assist any way I can.
(08-03-2023, 10:58 PM)Bimmerman Wrote:
(08-03-2023, 07:05 PM)Motorhead1977 Wrote: Tank pads via AliExpress arrived. They're larger than what's pictured in their advertising and the fit is poor enough that I'm going to file for a refund. #Bimmerman, if necessary can you assist with my PO ordering a set like you got?

I would be happy to assist any way I can.
Thank you. Price with transaction fees was about $38 USD. According to "Buyee" website I have to wait for the item to reach their warehouse before they provide the shipping costs to me in the USA. Hopefully it's not too extreme.
I also have a set that I ordered from Ali and I was thinking I need to measure and see if they are different in sizes. I’m worried you’re going to get the same thing from Yahoo but just more expensive. After checking the pads I have they are 40cm at the long point by 13.5cm at the high point. I have a different set I got from Ali that are a bit smaller but they are a different design. 38.5com by 13.5cm so a bit shorter than the nonslip ones I have on. Do you have the measurements for the ones you bought and don't like?
(08-04-2023, 05:47 AM)Bimmerman Wrote: I also have a set that I ordered from Ali and I was thinking I need to measure and see if they are different in sizes. I’m worried you’re going to get the same thing from Yahoo but just more expensive. After checking the pads I have they are 40cm at the long point by 13.5cm at the high point. I have a different set I got from Ali that are a bit smaller but they are a different design. 38.5com by 13.5cm so a bit shorter than the nonslip ones I have on. Do you have the measurements for the ones you bought and don't like?
Yes, the ones I received via Ali are the same 40 cm at the long point but are 14cm at the high point.  And as can be seen in the photos the set from Ali are definitely larger that what is depicted in the Ali listing photo. I test placed one on the side of my tank and it comes almost completely down to the bottom of the tank.  Here's a photo of one being held in place and the photo from the AliExpress listing:
Listing Photo:

As received:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Not saying that you are incorrect and that the pads you received are not improperly dimensioned, but the way you are holding it in the picture does not allow the pad to follow the hollow curvature of the tank, so the top to bottom dimension could appear to be too long. If the pad is pressed to the tank and into the curvature, is it still too long?

Suggestion: apply several pieces of scotch tape doubled back on itself to form double-sided tape to the back of the pad, including across at mid-height and then fit to the tank and check for proper dimension then. Could even take a good picture of that test fit for the return process, if needed.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro

Here are the shots of my pads. As I said, I got the right one a little too high up but it’s ok for now. After remeasuring with a flexible tape measure they are 13.8cm high.
GG, yes, I did press the pad to conform to the tank and fitment is almost exactly as in my photo and still too large.  I originally tested the use of double stick tape but it was very "reluctant" to be removed from the matte finish on the tank so I scrapped that.  And, not knowing how easily removed the pad is once applied I am really reluctant to try that.  If the pads I receive from the Yahoo Japan site fit as on Bimmermans RS I'll be very pleased.  If not I'll have some wall appliques for my garage. Wink