Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I welcomed the new Second Bike to the garage
Two weeks ago I bade farewell to my beloved 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT and welcomed this beauty to my life:
 - 2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro. Product details here.

Now in the process of outfitting it to my spec since it has big shoes to fill, but one thing is for sure, it is an off-road capable touring bike which the Tracer (or the RS) was (is) not. My German bike now has a British brother.  Smile

Video details here:

Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Nice! Everytime I look at an adventure bike I'm confronted with the reality that my 29" inseam means I need to carry a milk crate so I can reach the ground when I have to stop. ? Enjoy your new beauty and the farkling. ?
Happiness comes not from what you have, but from enjoying all that you do have no matter how much or little that may be.
Good to see you’ve found a new forum for your Triumph https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/has-a...0.1660329/
(07-24-2023, 04:33 AM)Motorhead1977 Wrote: Nice! Everytime I look at an adventure bike I'm confronted with the reality that my 29" inseam means I need to carry a milk crate so I can reach the ground when I have to stop. ?  Enjoy your new beauty and the farkling. ?

I know what you mean. My 31" inseam is not much more and this bike, like the Tracer, is at the limit for me in that with the seat in the lower of 2 positions my heels are just off the ground both sides. I have become accustomed to that over the last couple years though, and actually prefer a taller seat. So much so that for a while now I found myself considering a taller seat for the RS than the stock one I have.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Looks like you've got some good "adventure" rides in your neighborhood...Big Bend and Ozarks Have fun! - M
(07-24-2023, 06:21 AM)Magile Wrote: Looks like you've got some good "adventure" rides in your neighborhood...Big Bend and Ozarks Have fun! - M

Actually being in Houston kinda sucks for motorcycle riding as you have to ride a fair ways to get to anything decent, road or ADV, but those you mentioned are excellent. Texas Hill Country offers some decent road riding (despite the chip-seal roads) and I would have to investigate the sort of ADV type riding that might interest me.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
What is the limit on the accessory outlets?
On older BMWs we used the accessory outlet for heated gear or tire pumps but our last three bikes the outlet has a low limit.
Not hard to add a harness to the battery but it seems silly to have a outlet that's not much use.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(07-24-2023, 07:42 AM)Lee Wrote: What is the limit on the accessory outlets?
On older BMWs we used the accessory outlet for heated gear or tire pumps but our last three bikes the outlet has a low limit.
Not hard to add a harness to the battery but it seems silly to have a outlet that's not much use.

I take it you mean what is the limit in current draw in these outlets. 

Both the rider and passenger DIN sockets are 12V / 5A but the fuses for those circuits are both 10A. The USB socket is 12V / 2A but the fuse on that shared circuit is also 10A.

I have never used the rear DIN socket on the RS, and any time I need to use the tire pump I use my charging pigtail with SAE connector. I expect I will do the same with this bike, which came with a dealer-supplied pigtail. Since my heated gear pigtail has a different (not SAE) socket, I guess another pigtail on the left side will be installed in the Fall.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(07-24-2023, 10:03 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:
(07-24-2023, 07:42 AM)Lee Wrote: What is the limit on the accessory outlets?

I take it you mean what is the limit in current draw in these outlets. 

Both the rider and passenger DIN sockets are 12V / 5A but the fuses for those circuits are both 10A. The USB socket is 12V / 2A but the fuse on that shared circuit is also 10A.

I have never used the rear DIN socket on the RS, and any time I need to use the tire pump I use my charging pigtail with SAE connector. I expect I will do the same with this bike, which came with a dealer-supplied pigtail. Since my heated gear pigtail has a different (not SAE) socket, I guess another pigtail on the left side will be installed in the Fall.

I'm guessing the 5A limit is common now due to most vehicles having CAN Bus.
If your heated gear has a coaxial connector you can buy a short coaxial to SAE cord and plug into the charge cable.
Powerlet makes about any adapter you need. Coaxial to SAE, Coxial to Din, SAE to Din, ect.

I use the harness  that came with my heated gear (coaxial connector) for everything because it's a heavier gauge than the harness that comes with most battery chargers.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(07-24-2023, 01:26 PM)Lee Wrote: I'm guessing the 5A limit is common now due to most vehicles having CAN Bus.
If your heated gear has a coaxial connector you can buy a short coaxial to SAE cord and plug into the charge cable.
Powerlet makes about any adapter you need. Coaxial to SAE, Coxial to Din, SAE to Din, ect.

Yeah, I thought about that for the past 3 bikes and never bothered. Pigtail is likely cheaper than the Powerlet adapter although over 3 bikes it may have been a bad decision.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
I got the powerlet to DC adapter but my gear pulls more than 5a (heated vest starts on max at 7.5) so that's a no go. Ended up with pigtail off battery.

It's a shame they had to share 5a on the new bikes between the front usb and din socket. Makes the din more or less useless, esp since I end up with an sae pigtail for my battery tenders anyways
(07-24-2023, 02:56 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:
(07-24-2023, 01:26 PM)Lee Wrote: I'm guessing the 5A limit is common now due to most vehicles having CAN Bus.

Yeah, I thought about that for the past 3 bikes and never bothered. Pigtail is likely cheaper than the Powerlet adapter although over 3 bikes it may have been a bad decision.

I'm talking about adapter cables like this.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sae+to+coax+a...6h3zpvos_e
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

(07-24-2023, 05:53 PM)Lee Wrote: I'm talking about adapter cables like this.

I thought so but I don't know if they would work with my HotWired (CycleGear) heated jacket liner (which has served me very well over the last 9 winters (not that I wore it that much here in Houston. This one looks like the one I'd need.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Congrats, nice looking bike. It will be interesting to see how long you keep it Wink
R&D department
We need to see a family picture with the Tiger and the RS together. I'm seeing a familiar "stealth fighter" paint job on your new steed Big Grin
(07-25-2023, 05:03 PM)maxredline Wrote: Congrats, nice looking bike. It will be interesting to see how long you keep it Wink

Hahaha ... wondered the same thing. However, I am unlike many who like to simply change bikes as new models come out (and I can't afford it) so unless this one manages to p*ss me off with drama and failures, it should stay in the stable for a long time. It can do what the RS can't (offroad), its good looking, lighter (443 lb dry) and more manageable, it has tons of features that I love, and is almost perfectly comfortable. I am a member of 3 fora (forums) as I try and speed-learn about this bike, and like all bikes it is not perfect. Forewarned is fore-armed.

Here is a pic from yesterday at the office. I have started the upgrades but the heat this summer is hampering progress as I hate working in my garage that is not air-conditioned.

Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(07-28-2023, 04:18 AM)Duccrazydave Wrote: We need to see a family picture with the Tiger and the RS together. I'm seeing a familiar "stealth fighter" paint job on your new steed Big Grin

You must have read my mind ... I was planning on doing that this weekend. I have taken the same picture in my driveway with the S1000R and the Tracer, and now must do the same with the Tiger. As for the stealth fighter look ... more black is coming ...  Big Grin but not paint ... that Sandstorm looks sweet ... almost as nice as Granite Grey ...  Big Grin
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(07-24-2023, 08:49 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:
(07-24-2023, 05:53 PM)Lee Wrote: I'm talking about adapter cables like this.

I thought so but I don't know if they would work with my HotWired (CycleGear) heated jacket liner (which has served me very well over the last 9 winters (not that I wore it that much here in Houston. This one looks like the one I'd need.

That looks right if your jacket has a male end Coaxial and the harness on the battery is SAE.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

(07-23-2023, 08:59 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Two weeks ago I bade farewell to my beloved 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT and welcomed this beauty to my life:
 - 2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro. Product details here.

Now in the process of outfitting it to my spec since it has big shoes to fill, but one thing is for sure, it is an off-road capable touring bike which the Tracer (or the RS) was (is) not. My German bike now has a British brother.  Smile

What made you decide to keep the RS and not the Tracer? How does the Tiger compare two up with the other two bikes? 

Ironically I am considering a 2022 Tracer 9gt, 2023 R1250RS or 2023 Tiger 900 Rally Pro to replace my 2011 R1200RT that I have had new since 2010. 

Thanks for yours and everyone else's input in advance!
(11-05-2023, 08:22 PM)lcon2 Wrote: What made you decide to keep the RS and not the Tracer? How does the Tiger compare two up with the other two bikes? 

Ironically I am considering a 2022 Tracer 9gt, 2023 R1250RS or 2023 Tiger 900 Rally Pro to replace my 2011 R1200RT that I have had new since 2010. 

Thanks for yours and everyone else's input in advance!

I will answer all of your questions, but it may take some time since answers frequently have to be given in context.

I have this ongoing battle in my head where, for the style of riding I have and what I use the motorcycle for, it makes most sense to get a GS. Unlike most here, I use my bike for transportation, as a means to get away and go motocamping (although I don't that nearly enough due to the sh*t weather we typically have here in Texas for most of the year), and for long distance touring (mostly in nature, as opposed to "social touring").

Even before getting the RS, I was interested in getting the S1000XR as it seemed like a great blend of performance but in an ADV stance, but I dropped that idea for various reasons. The RS was bought on the rebound from that decision and after many miles has become a trusted friend and partner, so there is sentimentality and loyalty to this grey bike of mine. But it is not the perfect bike for my use case. I also don't really see the practicality in owning more than one bike, especially as I head for retirement and older age. Again, one GS would make a lot of sense for my use case, but there are reasons I still don't own one. (But the jury is not out).

The Tracer was bought as a "Second bike" to help slow the accumulation of miles on the RS, as I continue fighting with my dilemma. Like the S1000R before it, the Tracer 900GT was always intended to be a temporary bike since it doesn't really do off road as well as I [think I] need it to. So, there was never a danger of the Tracer displacing the RS, although when I traded it I had come to love my Tracer 900GT - it is a great bike and that engine!

Two up, the RS is the best of the three even though it is the least spacious. It has the most torque, best reach to the ground, Dynamic ESA, and with the slight lean forward of the rider it has the least chance of helmets clashing (despite the least spaciousness). The Tracer and the Tiger, although both down on power and torque, are quite good for 2-up touring. They both have enough power for us, who together with luggage, are at max payload. The preload setting on the Tiger makes it the tallest of the three and I have the least confidence when loaded with pillion and luggage. I did Texas Hill Country twisties with pillion and no luggage and it handled it as well as the RS.

Your consideration of the 2022 Tracer 9GT, 2023 R1250RS or 2023 Tiger 900 Rally Pro to replace your 2011 R1200RT is an interesting problem, but one which needs careful soul-searching on the type of riding you do. The first two are sport-tourers (although the RS is more of a sport bike), and the Tiger 900 Rally Pro is an ADV bike that has it in its head that it is a touring machine that is good in the twisties. Depends on what you are looking for in a bike and determined you are to homing in on a "final" bike.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS