Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vintage bikes
Nostalgia is a sentimentality for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations. In this case Motorcycles.

Here is B.C. along with the nostalgia you can get collector insurance status providing the bike is 25 years old, stock and in excellent shape.
You apply by filling out the form, take specific pictures and wait for approval. Once approved year long insurance is dirt cheap. You can't drive
back and forth to work but I will be retired soon enough and have the RS. If I insure for five years the bike will be paid for with the savings.

I was hoping to find a nice Honda 500 Interceptor but that has not materialized. I found a 85 Suzuki GS750E with less than 10k km. Took the bike for a ride.
It made me giggle and the bike was tight. I was amazed that the stock tires are still on the bike, and look good. No I won't be riding on 40 year old tires. New tires of stock size are
difficult to find. If you are familiar with the E and ES model of that time they have 16 inch front and 17 rear with an aspect ratio of 90. I would like Pirelli sport demons but cant find a set.
The only set I can find is Battlax BT46 without looking at Shinko or Kenda. I will replace all brake lines also
I put a small deposit down on it so it should be coming home soon.
Past collector bikes I have had, 1982 Gpz 750, Yamaha DT125

R&D department
Do you tell the insurance company the value of the bike and base the premium on that, or does the insurance company decide the value?
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(07-30-2023, 07:02 AM)Lee Wrote: Do you tell the insurance company the value of the bike and base the premium on that, or does the insurance company decide the value?

That is a good question as this has changed here. The province has a monopoly on vehicle insurance. In the past this has not been a bad thing. Just recently they have gone from your transfer of ownership numbers on the sale of the vehicle. This is how they collected their sale tax on new or used vehicles (just imagine how much is collected on vehicle that has been bought and sold over and over Dodgy ). Now I have heard they have a "black book" on value. They must have felt they have been getting jipped. The poor corporation.  I have not dealt with this yet.

As far as comprehensive and liability coverage I can't remember. The online information is not transparent.
R&D department
(07-29-2023, 10:59 PM)maxredline Wrote: ... I found a 85 Suzuki GS750E with less than 10k km. Took the bike for a ride. It made me giggle and the bike was tight.

This is a sweet looking bike all right and is not a stock photo, and you saw the bike in actuality, so you know what you'd be getting.  Nice article here. Good luck and I hope it works out.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
(07-30-2023, 10:04 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:
(07-29-2023, 10:59 PM)maxredline Wrote: ... I found a 85 Suzuki GS750E with less than 10k km. Took the bike for a ride. It made me giggle and the bike was tight.

This is a sweet looking bike all right and is not a stock photo, and you saw the bike in actuality, so you know what you'd be getting.  Nice article here. Good luck and I hope it works out.

Picked it up today, 40 year old tires and all. Funny there are no cracks and the tire is soft. I definitely do not want to go real fast on this thing.
GG your ^link is not working.

[Admin: Fixed the link]
R&D department
Define vintage....
Is a well maintained and upgraded 2006 Buell vintage.

This city bike belongs to a 20-something wrench-n-ride guy. I've talked to him a couple times about the bike. Reassuring to find a little passion in his generation.

[Image: c5201003a46732bd4c130421df7719f8.jpg][Image: ee1bb9bd62dc7079a982f79010b8b84d.jpg]

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
Hehehe ... is that picture before the "well maintained and upgraded" bit happened ...?   Big Grin
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(08-04-2023, 07:36 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Hehehe ... is that picture before the "well maintained and upgraded" bit happened ...?   Big Grin

Well, trust me - runs like a top and clean as a whistle inside. 

(OK - There's that bent rim up front, but judging from the tire wear, it doesn't affect performance. Have to say, this is the only Harley-based product I ever lusted after in my youth, and I still have a soft spot for those who own one bike and ride it daily. This is not a bike that spends most of it's life on display in one's garage or living room.)

But right about appearance - good example of what one does in the city when they don't have garage storage for their daily transportation that's still worth a big chunk of their salary (and carries a back story that includes personal attention from some of Buell's former engineers from that period, perhaps more).

For some good mechanics, well maintained doesn't necessarily mean eye candy for every guy with a pickup truck and a little imagination.  Cool
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
Hehehe ... clearly you have a soft spot for that bike / Buells ... Big Grin

Me personally re Buells ... they look cool except for the humongous ring brake in front ...
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
There's a whole subculture of wrench and ride guys around here. Real basket case bikes that get ridden every day and their owners take great pride in keeping them running and being able to ride them. Really a fun bunch. They tend to hang with rat bike guys. I love rat bikes as an art form. They look like a giant piece of crap until you get close and see that they are put together well and imaginatively. Some really cool and interesting takes on what a motorcycle should be. Wrench and ride, and rat bikes aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I sure love the passion these guys have.
Well said, and to each his own. I know there must be some sort of following for these sorts of things. It takes all sorts.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
"Define vintage" I see your point Ray.

Subsection - collector status, has a very clear definition when it comes to (cheap) insurance which is part of the draw.
As reference that Buell would not make it on visual condition alone never mind it has to be 25 years old here.
R&D department
I don't know about the Vintage part of it. But I've been on VIR North a few times with Buell riders. Those things pull like a tractor (in a good way) out of a turn  Big Grin