Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About time I got a tire changer
I managed to pick up a perfectly placed nail in my rear Dunlop Roadsmart III with 6000 miles on it. So just after coming back home (well the next day / today) I pulled the wheel off and brought it to the dealership. There they took the tread depth measurement and came up with 2/32" and because they said that MOA would only replace tires with 4/32 ad more.

Bummer - that means with the tiny discounts they gave me on the tire and the 50% off labour it still came up to $263 where I expected zero. Because I had to get my riding fix I told them to go ahead. They did not have Michelin Pilot Road 5 - he gave me some reason which I didn't grasp - and said that they would supply the Michelin PR4GT which they had in stock and which he claimed was now recommended by BMW. News to me.

Anyway I had good performance from the PR4GT until rear tire was replaced by them after 1000 miles, that time under the MOA Tire Replacement (I suppose since it had more than 4/32!).

The problem is not the labour, but it is all these partially used tires I am having pile up in my garage (I am now up to 3). I refuse to throw away perfectly good tires and further clog up the landfills, just because no one seems to want to properly vulcanize motorcycle tires in this country. I call BS.

This brings me to the subject of my post.

Anyone actually have and can recommend a good tire changer that would work for our bike's front a rear wheels? I am looking at the No-Mar Classic but that is big and pricey at $579.00 on sale!

[Image: TC-CLASSIC-2T.png?1519808894]

An alternative is the smaller Cycle Hill tire changer which they suggest is more for dirt bikes and ATVs

[Image: TC-CH100-2T.jpg?1513228461]

I was thinking more along the lines of the Harbor Freight tire changer which costs $80 for the changer and the motorcycle accessory. Only problem is it looks light and flimsy and may come apart when I try to take off / put on the tires.

[Image: image_25745.jpg]

[Image: image_23490.jpg]

Saw a recommendation online that said that one should get the No-Mar bar to use with the Harbor Freight changer.

Any thoughts on all of the above? What do you use?
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
That price will likely change the closer it gets to December. I purchased my Classic last year for a Christmas present. It is very solid and well built. I have mine bolted to the floor in my garage. No Mar had some really good sale prices for the changers. There were a few different options that included various accessories as a package deal. I had performed enough tire changes, for myself and friends, to justify the cost. I have had a couple of cruiser tires that still required help with spoons, but the typical sport bike size tires (like on our RS) are relatively easy to change. The Yellow Thing bead keeper, XtraHand Clamps ( I have 2) and the No Mar branded tire lube paste are must haves. I also have the Marc Parnes balancer with the BMW adapter.
I would be a terrible person to defend the cost - benefit ratio of this changer. But it is very satisfying, to me, to be able to perform my own maintenance.
(10-25-2018, 08:43 PM)Duccrazydave Wrote: That price will likely change the closer it gets to December. I purchased my Classic last year for a Christmas present. It is very solid and well built. I have mine bolted to the floor in my garage. No Mar had some really good sale prices for the changers. There were a few different options that included various accessories as a package deal. I had performed enough tire changes, for myself and friends, to justify the cost. I have had a couple of cruiser tires that still required help with spoons, but the typical sport bike size tires (like on our RS) are relatively easy to change. The Yellow Thing bead keeper, XtraHand Clamps ( I have 2) and the No Mar branded tire lube paste are must haves. I also have the Marc Parnes balancer with the BMW adapter.
I would be a terrible person to defend the cost - benefit ratio of this changer. But it is very satisfying, to me, to be able to perform my own maintenance.

I was looking at the Harbor Freight one since making the post, but it needs modifications and by the time I make those it would probably be closer to $400. I would have to buy the No-Mar bar (or the Mojo Lever, bit of which have plastic ends) and also Mojo blocks to grip the rim. Then I'd also have to get a Yellow Thing from No-Mar ... Maybe I will wait until closer to Christmas as you suggest, and hope that I don't get another puncture in the meanwhile. Being able to easily do these tire changes would be very satisfying to me from a cost and personal satisfaction standpoint.

One of the complaints about the HF motorcycle attachment is the pole that goes through the axle (e.g. front on our bikes) being too big to fit through the axle hole. The No-Mar one looks pretty thick too. Any problems with the RS front wheel?

Do you think I could mount it to a plywood topped platform? Don't really want to mount it to the floor. I have to remove stuff from my garage too ... I need a shed.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
I've seen the changer mounted to plywood before. At the AMA event at VIR, a few years back, No Mar had the changer set up that way for demonstration. The stronger construction of the Classic means there is no wasted motion when applying force during the tire changes. And bead braking is especially easy
Oh, and to answer your question about the center bar. It doesn’t go all the way through the rim. The smaller center section, at the base of it, goes through the inner race of the bearing. That keeps it centered while you use your body weight to push the mount/demount lever around to remove and install the tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for all the comments Dave. Well appreciated. Smile
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Terry, another friend and myself went together and bought a No Mar tire changer over 6 years ago. I do not remember the specific model we bought but back then it was around $750. Between the three of us, all with multiple bikes, it paid for itself in 12-18 months.

The unit itself along with the tools used in the process have all held up well. We had to replace two of the hardened plastic tips (extra tips came with it) used in the process of removing the tires from the rims due to the tips bending. Not too bad considering we have probably changed 75 to 100 tires with the machine.

We also have some parts from Mark Parnes. The adapter for the rear wheel from Mark Parnes is a must have. We have one for the R1200s and one for the K1600s.
I bought a NoMar middle range price model in 2006 at the Burlington, VT Nat'l BMW rally. As well bought a Marc Parnes balancer. Probably had $900 in the complete package. I changed over 300 tires the past 12 years for myself and others. Each spring I bought a pallet of 20 tires at wholesale prices I knew I needed and those I changed tires for. I never broke a part on mine and really the only thing that could break is the tip as John memtioned. I had mine bolted on a piece of ¾" plywood so could move around the garage when not using. I put the plywood on a 36" X 60" door mat felt side down so it slide around easily. This summer I decided to get out of the tire changing business and sold the NoMar for $550 and the Marc Parnes for $125 to a group of 4 riders from my local BMW club.

I've looked at a few brands of tire changers for the casual user and feel the NoMar is the best on the market. Marc Parnes as well is very good balancer but NoMar also has a balancer just as good.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

(10-26-2018, 06:16 AM)Olgry1 Wrote: We also have some parts from Mark Parnes. The adapter for the rear wheel from Mark Parnes is a must have. We have one for the R1200s and one for the K1600s.

John - what is this adapter? Something to decrease the diameter of the centre hole so that it stays centred on the jig?
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(10-26-2018, 11:03 AM)darrell Wrote: I had mine bolted on a piece of ¾" plywood so could move around the garage when not using. I put the plywood on a 36" X 60" door mat felt side down so it slide around easily.

I guess that is stable enough especially if you stood on it while using the changer ...? I am thinking of doing something similar ... maybe mounting the 3/4" plywood on top of a 4x4 base if needed, but from your post it sounds like that might not be needed.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
The MOA site shows 2/32"

b. TIRE REPLACEMENT: You will be reimbursed for the reasonable costs you incur to replace a tire up to $250 per tire (inclusive of mounting, balancing and taxes), (maximum of two tires per contract year), only if a tire covered by this Agreement becomes unrepairable due to damage caused by a road hazard. This coverage is valid through the tread life of a tire (for motorcycles, 2/32" or less is excluded) and replacement will be made with a tire of like kind and quality to the original tire.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(10-26-2018, 02:26 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:
(10-26-2018, 11:03 AM)darrell Wrote: I had mine bolted on a piece of ¾" plywood so could move around the garage when not using. I put the plywood on a 36" X 60" door mat felt side down so it slide around easily.

I guess that is stable enough especially if you stood on it while using the changer ...? I am thinking of doing something similar ... maybe mounting the 3/4" plywood on top of a 4x4 base if needed, but from your post it sounds like that might not be needed.

I just stood on the plywood and it never moved on me. Once you get the procedure down on where the tire needs to be in the rim and use the correct lubricant from NoMar you can almost install without the bar. I always tried to lay the tires in the sun in a black plastic garbage bag for a couple of hours before installing and they became very easy to work with. If no sun used a heat gun to warm up the beads. If cold outside, sit tires in the house that is probably 68 degrees or more for a day or two.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

Hmmmm ... looks like I have to contact MOA and see if they will consider covering my loss. However I do have the tire in my possession so that might complicate the issue.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
If I was going to buy a tool like that I would go with the NoMar tire changer and Mark Parnes balancer.
I know 5 guys with tire changers and all of them own NoMar.
If you don't like the option of bolting it to plywood, NoMar has a receiver hitch options. I have 2 friends with that option. Which they lived closer Smile

[Image: P1000920.JPG]

This picture shows a NoMar balancer.
[Image: P1000923.JPG]

For anyone who noticed the plastic trash can front stand, I thought it was a bad idea and found a 2x4 to spread out the weight Smile

[Image: P1000921.JPG]
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(10-26-2018, 04:02 PM)darrell Wrote: I always tried to lay the tires in the sun in a black plastic garbage bag for a couple of hours before installing and they became very easy to work with. If no sun used a heat gun to warm up the beads. If cold outside, sit tires in the house that is probably 68 degrees or more for a day or two.

One friend spoons his tires and if it's not a hot sunny day to warm the tires he places aluminum foil over the tires and places a trouble light under the foil overnight.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

This video shows the adapter needed for the large hole in the rear wheel of a BMW.

https://youtu.be/EF5QpXmT5o8
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

(10-26-2018, 04:02 PM)darrell Wrote:
(10-26-2018, 02:26 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:

I just stood on the plywood and it never moved on me. Once you get the procedure down on where the tire needs to be in the rim and use the correct lubricant from NoMar you can almost install without the bar. I always tried to lay the tires in the sun in a black plastic garbage bag for a couple of hours before installing and they became very easy to work with. If no sun used a heat gun to warm up the beads. If cold outside, sit tires in the house that is probably 68 degrees or more for a day or two.

Never thought about warming the tires before mounting them. I keep my tires in the basement so they can be pretty stiff. I will have try that next time I mount tires. Thanks
(10-26-2018, 05:06 PM)Lee Wrote: This video shows the adapter needed for the large hole in the rear wheel of a BMW.

Thanks Lee. I just saw the post. I was out riding today and then started the 12K service on the RS.
(10-26-2018, 05:06 PM)Lee Wrote: This video shows the adapter needed for the large hole in the rear wheel of a BMW.

Thanks. I see the adapter is for balancing not changing the tire.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Having the tires warm is definitely a game changer. Especially with the stiffer carcass of sport touring tires. Technique improves and effort decreases with every tire change. Another note about the Marc Parnes balancer. If you don't already have a balancer stand, like in the video, the included bearings allow it to be used between jack stands.