Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2022 R1250RS (2400 miles) Loaded Build - MINT - Cambridge, MA ($15,995) - SOLD
Unfortunately I have made the decision to sell my 1250 RS. I bought the bike in mid July from MAX BMW in NH with 2,050 miles. I have only put 350 miles on it. I had high hopes for this bike but just can't make it comfortable for my size (6' 3" 35/36" inseam). I'm too used to upright large ADV bikes too.

Bike is loaded with all the BMW options, BMW panniers and rack, Wunderlich crash bars, Motomate sat nav relocator, BMW 20mm taller sport seat, and high-power Denali DRL lights with CanSmart controller. Bike just serviced by dealer, needs nothing !

For photos, video, and additional details visit my ads below or PM me here:

Asking a very reasonable $15,995.

Cheers

- Jeff

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Beautiful bike. Sorry to hear that it did not work out for you. Good luck in the sale.

As for ADV bike attitude in the cockpit - I totally understand where you are coming from. Ever since I got my Tracer 900 GT and now my Tiger 900 Rally Pro, I can totally appreciate the difference. Being only 5'-8" / 31" inseam, I don't have the fitment problem on the RS as you do, though, although after riding the Tiger, the RS feels so small and compact even for me.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Thanks Grumpy Goat. I owned a KTM 1190 adventure for 9 years prior to the RS and modified that quite a bit with custom raised seat, lowered pegs, bar risers, etc. Very comfortable for me. I decided to get a used 2020 KTM SAS which is more or less the same as the 1190 with some nice improvements like cruise control, newer suspension, etc. The RS feels like a mini bike now when I get on it compared to the KTM lol. Hopefully the RS sells I think my price is very reasonable for the build.

Cheers,

Jeff

2022 BMW R1250 RS
2020 KTM Super Adventure S
Just curious ... why / how come you bought the RS in the first place? Did you not try it on for size before buying? Given your seating preference the GS would seem to be a better fit.

The 2020 KTM 1290 Super Adventure S is quite the bike on paper and I'm sure would be a lot of fun to ride as an ADV-style tourer. No real comparison with the RS, aside from the fact that they are both seen as "tourers" or one type or another. I almost bought a 2023 KTM 890 Adventure (not the R) but was not impressed by the build quality and the reliability reputation (especially electronics) seemed like too much drama for me to be interested in. It also seemed to be less of a long-distance tourer than I wanted.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Basically I wanted a change after owning the KTM 1190 for 9 years. I do not ride offroad so wanted something more road oriented. I wanted cruise control, shaft drive (maybe), cast wheels (no spokes), and other creature comforts. I was looking at the GS but after watching videos on Youtube and reading reviews, I started looking into the RS as it was lighter and road oriented. I did test ride the bike at MAX BMW for about 30-40 minutes. It was small and cramped but I concluded with adjustments like I have mentioned I could make it work. I liked the bike on the highway and the roads up in NH are all high speed so it felt nice and "different" enough. Bottom line, when I took the bike home and made some adjustments, I realized I could only ride for about an hour and then had pain in my ankles, knees, wrists and forearms. Do I keep trying for more adjustments to make it work or just pull the trigger and say I made a mistake? The latter is where I ended up. There are reviews from other riders my height saying they were able to make the RS work for them so I thought I could to. At least for me I don't think it's possible whiteout basically converting it into a GS at extreme cost. I really think you need to ride a bike for several hours in lots of conditions to know. You can't really get this from a demo ride. 

Strangely enough, I think my KTM 1190 was more powerful than my 1290 despite the horsepower increase and the reviews saying so. I had made some changes to my 1190 though (slip on and air filter change).
(09-06-2023, 11:23 AM)jwspencer Wrote: Basically I wanted a change after owning the KTM 1190 for 9 years. I do not ride offroad so wanted something more road oriented. I wanted cruise control, shaft drive (maybe), cast wheels (no spokes), and other creature comforts. I was looking at the GS but after watching videos on Youtube and reading reviews, I started looking into the RS as it was lighter and road oriented. ...

Thanks for the clarification. Given your riding use case I think that if you had ridden the GS you would have probably not got the RS (or the second KTM). Smile One of my riding buddies had a big KTM like yours when I first met him and his wife, then they both got RSs and enjoyed that, then when the 1250s came out they both switched to GSs and love them. He'd probably say that he doesn't miss the power in his ADV tourer (not that the 1250 ShiftCam is a slouch), but I believe they have since also got a pair of KTM 890 Duke GPs to address any need for speed.

The GS is a weird and wonderful machine and there is a reason it is one of the best-selling motorcycles in the world, and you seem to be in the perfect demographic for it. Most GSs never see dirt, they all have the upright riding position, they are immensely comfortable, they handle great in the twisties as well as long distance, etc. etc. Yes, they have less horsepower than the KTMs but they offer a whole lot more, including reliability.

Anyway, all water under the bridge now. Smile
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Just curious what you think about my price based on the bike build and condition? I think it's a steal. So much less than I paid just under 2 months ago. Tough market.
the 1290 is a nice ride , my Giant friend has a 2022 SAS . I as a 5' 1" tall rider had a 1190R for awhile with all the dongles and farkels . It was fast , and the 1290 seems slower untill you turn off ALL aids and run in rally mode . I dialed all traction control off by the left switch after about 3 miles . 3rd gear power wheelies Smile . Some heat issues are resolved but the rear header glows light red in low light on the 1290 and KTM says its normal . Just a FYI for you .
Thanks I will consider that. I have not played around with it much. My 1190 I had for 9 years I pretty much kept the engine in street mode and the suspension in street or sport mode. I always used 2up riding with luggage preload to raise the height. The 2020 1290 is very much the same as the original 1190 and does not have a rally mode. It does at times feel like something is holding the engine back which could be the rider aids. The heat does seem worse than my 1190 which is disappointing KTM did not improve it over the generation
(09-09-2023, 06:31 AM)c10 Wrote: the 1290 is a nice ride , my Giant friend has a 2022 SAS . I as a 5' 1" tall rider had a 1190R for awhile with all the dongles and farkels .  It was fast , and the 1290 seems slower untill you turn off ALL aids and run in rally mode .  I dialed all traction control off by the left switch after about 3 miles .  3rd gear power wheelies Smile  .  Some heat issues are resolved but the rear header glows light red in low light on the 1290 and KTM says its normal . Just a FYI for you .

I came close to a 1290GT.  Fun bike. Stock luggage was terrible, but the killer was the heat.  No way that was going to work in the U.S. South.
(09-09-2023, 06:04 AM)jwspencer Wrote: Just curious what you think about my price based on the bike build and condition? I think it's a steal. So much less than I paid just under 2 months ago. Tough market.

Sadly, the RSs are not the most well-known and popular bikes in the BMW line-up so it may take a while to sell at that price, despite the nice add-ons. It's a decent price for the person who knows about RSs, though - low mileage solid bike that wants for nothing, as you said. Basically new - I say it like that because the more the price the more buying new makes sense.

Thing about farkles ... could be a double-edged sword. Some like / don't mind bikes with farkles others don't, preferring to add their own touches. If you are lucky and find the person that like the farkles you have then boom!, if not then it could be a turn off. Having said that, your bike's farkles are solid and good quality and should be acceptable to anyone who knows BMWs.

Just my 2 cents.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Smile 
Thanks for the advice and agreed. I have considered taking off the BMW panniers and the crash bars but then the Denali light system has to go as well because that's how they mount. I think these are super useful to any future buyer. That alone is a $2,000+ investment and a bit of a complex install for the lights. I may go down that path at some point later but also finding selling accessories is a losing battle also. Motorcycles for sure is not a way to make money lol
If your bike had come up for sale before I ordered a new one ( 2023 with handle bar option ) I would of bought it with options your selling .
Your price of 16.5 is very fair . Guy tried to sell me a 40k mile unit in 1200 flavor for 10500 . Then used 1250's were 18 to 19k for awhile with no mods . So I said to heck with it and bought new RS with warranty / cases / 719 options all under the loan . This set me back 24K but worth every penny to me .
The 719 wheels you have are nearly a grand option .
Your screen if it was tinted in the other stuff for sale I would of bought . You will find a buyer , but may just take a little bit .
Food for thought, I have come to the point where I think it's insane to buy a new bike from a dealer unless you are looking to do a trade to save on future sales tax from your state or can't sell your existing bike. Out the door the bike drops in value on day 1 at least 15%. I think buying a used bike still with factory warranty left and low mileage is the most sensible option. You avoid paying the dealer for the initial post break-in service as well which is going to be another $500-1000. If you want a bit more protection or convenience, you can buy a low mileage used bike from a dealer. And of course you will save even more from a private seller if you find a good bike reasonably local. For sure not always as convenient; however, it's easier to transact these days with Internet and payment services that offer some buyer protection. Of course everything comes down to timing and finding what you want when you want it.
(09-09-2023, 09:47 AM)jwspencer Wrote: Thanks for the advice and agreed. I have considered taking off the BMW panniers and the crash bars but then the Denali light system has to go as well because that's how they mount. I think these are super useful to any future buyer. That alone is a $2,000+ investment and a bit of a complex install for the lights. I may go down that path at some point later but also finding selling accessories is a losing battle also. Motorcycles for sure is not a way to make money lol

Oh no, it is a PITA to remove and then sell separately. Better to sell with the bike. Unless one knows that one will be keeping the bike a long time its best not to customize too much, and if you do only top flight farkles. Cheap crap pulls down value fast.

Motorcycles are one of the best ways to lose money, and is probably one of the crappiest "investments" one can make.  Big Grin  I hear boats are bad too ...  Big Grin
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
My brother just bought a Triumph Tiger Explorer GT (or whatever it's called)...otherwise, yes!

At 5'11" with lowered pegs and a small handlebar rise, my 2020 RS is pretty perfect for me
Wondering if anybody out there has some selling tips for bikes in the US. My bike is listed here, Facebook, Craigslist, and have a Youtube video which gets hits from internet searches. Have people tried CycleTrader with success or possibly Ebay? Most of the bites so far have been for GS owners wanting to trade.
(09-16-2023, 06:01 AM)jwspencer Wrote: Wondering if anybody out there has some selling tips for bikes in the US. My bike is listed here, Facebook, Craigslist, and have a Youtube video which gets hits from internet searches. Have people tried CycleTrader with success or possibly Ebay? Most of the bits so far have been for GS owners wanting to trade.

I have used CycleTrader before with some success, and it is my goto place when looking for a bike. By success I mean I was able to sell my 2014 Honda CBR500RA to someone in the area after a CycleTrader listing. I located my BMW S1000R and my Tracer 900GT on CycleTrader and finished the local purchase from the seller and the dealership, respectively. In my opinion it is the best option.

I have sold one or two items on Craigslist but never vehicles. I don't really like Craigslist largely due to the typical lack of details in the ads and other factors. Facebook would be similar for me. I have sold many things on eBay but never sold / bought any vehicles on it, although I would trust eBay way more than Craigslist or Facebook. Youtube is not setup for selling so to me that platform is a waste of time.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
E bay has 14% selling fees .
Thanks all. Seems like I should give CT a try then ...