Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
R1200RS Cam chain tensioner tool.
(04-08-2023, 11:39 PM)sanemancured Wrote: Hello all

I’m trying to source one of the above to check the cam timing on my lovely 2015 RS and here in the UK it’s a struggle to get a hold of one. 

Brad, known as Boxflyer on the SportTouring forum won’t post one of his home made products to the UK because he’s been mucked around by customers in the past. 

If anyone is willing to purchase one on my behalf and send it to the UK I’ll pay up front of course. 

My bike is great. 40,00 miles in and it’s a keeper. It’s always been a little vibey higher up the rev range and I’d like the peace of mind checking the timing would give. 

Peter

If you're talking about the device that supposedly puts the correct operating tension on the cam chain so you can verify that the cam timing is correct (possibly using the BMW camshaft locating device 11 0 827), I wouldn't bother. I have the BMW locating device and was thinking about buying or making the tensioner device you are considering. I decided to try an experiment. 
First, I left the regular cam chain tensioner in place, and tried the locating device on the camshafts. It fit in place (indicating "correct" timing with limited tension). I then removed the cam chain tensioner and carefully used an appropriately sized metal rod to manually tension the cam chain to varying degrees. I found that no amount of increased tension, beyond enough to take the slack out of the cam chain, made any difference to whether the locating device would easily fit in place. 
In other words, if you check the timing with the regular cam chain tensioner in place, it will be correct. I guess the fact that BMW specifying the expensive cam chain tensioning tool for checking the timing is just normal German perfectionism.

Messages In This Thread
RE: R1200RS Cam chain tensioner tool. - by mspratz - 04-09-2023, 08:18 AM