Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cam lobe worn at just over 12,000 miles
Jeff,

Welcome to the RSWb Forum Community. I edited the photo a bit to make it 800 mm wide so that one did not have to scroll sideways to see the entirety of the damage.

I offered a comment in the other forum, but am glad that you found this forum which I like to think has a different focus to it. Smile Hopefully you get good answers either place.

As I opined on the other forum, I doubt that it is the oil that led to 1 of 8 cam lobes being damaged. So based on that I can't see how BMW can deny any claim that you might make that the cam lobe was faulty from the get-go. If there was oil starvation then all lobes and other parts would be worn too.

As for the flat spot on the rim - first I've heard that it is a "common problem". I suspect that they damaged the rim, if as you say you did not cause the damage. Once I had my rim superficially nicked during a tire replacement but at least they brought it to my attention promptly owning up to it. Mind, they did not offer to repair it, and were waiting, and hoping that I would forgive the damage, which I did as it was small.

The bit about needing a "cheater bar" to remove not only the plug but the filter (!!) made me wince and that alone would have go them fired from working on my bike. I could see how 2 gaskets could get on the plug though since they often wet stuck to the underside of the head and unless one is careful one could assume that there was none, and put another there. Better than not having any.

As I offered in my reply on the other forum, I would use another dealer if you can. Good luck in getting the cam lobe / engine fixed through BMW warranty and the rim through insurance.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cam lobe worn at just over 12,000 miles - by Grumpy Goat - 07-27-2019, 11:58 AM
RE: Cam lobe worn at just over 12,000 miles - by Olgry1 - 07-27-2019, 07:25 PM
RE: Cam lobe worn at just over 12,000 miles - by Olgry1 - 08-03-2019, 05:54 AM