Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mounting a Garmin XT2 in a BMW GPS mount
Have the same GPS and identical mount. Works well, although it's a little bit of finger maneuvering to get the GPS off the mount as you have to dig between back of the GPS and the BMW cradle enclosure to press the release button. Can't do it with gloves on but there's really no other way, considering how the XT2's release mechanism works.

You lose handlebar control and the bike status screen but neither are a significant loss that should deter you from a superior satnav in every other way. Screen is so much brighter, it's signficiantly faster in performance, and has more functionality. The "great rides" feature that can provide a map overlay of rides other motorcyclists take frequently is practically worth the price of the unit alone. I've gone on several all-day runs where I pick a direction and just let the GPS chart a route plotting along suggested great rides. After my first I was patting the unit thinking of how pleased I was with my purchase.

The Tread app could use some work UI-wise but it does what it says. Plot a course on the web app, it syncs to my phone app and then to the GPS automatically the next time I get on the bike. Only downside is the Tread app must be manually reconnected to the XT2 via some taps on the satnav each time, whereas the Nav VI reconnects automatically. Maybe it's something I'm doing wrong but I haven't found any settings that would change that behavior.
Craig
'20 R1250RS
Previous
: '21 R1250RS, 
'03 K1200RS, '01 R1100RS, '83 R800

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mounting a Garmin XT2 in a BMW GPS mount - by Pyrrho - 12-23-2023, 11:44 AM