Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mounting a Garmin XT2 in a BMW GPS mount
(12-24-2023, 11:23 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Unless I am at a very short stop in a known safe location (e.g. my "secure" parking garage at the office) or with a clear line of sight, I remove my GPS, even though it is locked onto the cradle. I take no chances with a $1k GPS on the bike. I am sure that the lock is easy to pick.

Your approach is more secure than mine, if somewhat less convenient in day-to-day riding (which is perfectly ok - removing yours obviously is not a significant inconvenience for you).  

We all decide what is the balance we're willing to accept of convenience. vs. risk (defined as probability times consequences).  In my case, I kept the locking mount primarily to deter the opportunistic "see and grab it" thief looking to fund their next meth hit.  I recognize, and am willing to accept, the pretty low risk of a determined attack by someone with patience and the skills to do it (and the chutzpah to do it in an open public area).  Of course, this is not an "always" or "never" matter -- if I'm in a high-risk environment (e.g., overnight parking at a motel during a trip) I also remove my GPS.

Again, I'm not arguing for or against removing a GPS at every stop, just providing one option for those deciding how they want to mount an XT2.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mounting a Garmin XT2 in a BMW GPS mount - by MHN-RS - 12-24-2023, 03:05 PM