Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comms for BMW System 7 Helmets
(06-02-2020, 07:53 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:
(06-02-2020, 04:45 AM)AlanM Wrote: Hi GG
The concave section is on all round from the black plastic at front and is 1 1/2” deep.
Re other makes have try several but the System7 fits my head shape best so far

Thanks for clarifying, Alan.

So if you want to affix another comm system but are challenged by the concavity in the spot where the head unit of the comm system would go, then the solution is actually easy.

First of all, I recommend the Cardo PackTalk Bold with JBL speakers - it is the best comm unit on the market at the moment. If you do not need the top of the line, there are other models that have the JBL speakers, and the cheapest of the three would be the Cardo Freecom 4+.

That units typically come with two ways to mount the head unit to the exterior of the helmet - via a clip, and via a stick-on glue plate. I do not recommend using the clip for more that one reason.

The glue plate is flat so some compensation for the concavity would have to be made. You need to buy the same product I use to mount my much heavier GoPro to my helmet - Sugru (mouldable glue).

First remove the two sided tape from the back of the glue plate. Then you get the appropriate size packet of colour-appropriate Sugru (two-pack will do), and when ready to install, you roll it into an appropriate cylindrical shape and make a "gasket" around the edge of the glue plate. Then press the glue plate into the well=cleaned concavity making sure that Sugru material squeezes out all around, for you to smooth out evenly for a nice finish. let dry for 24 hours before using. Permanent fix for the concavity problem.

That solution looks good, I will habe to give it a bit of research so thanks.
Will advise in due course, may try on current helmet for GoPro on left side.

Messages In This Thread
Comms for BMW System 7 Helmets - by AlanM - 06-01-2020, 09:29 AM
RE: Comms for BMW System 7 Helmets - by AlanM - 06-02-2020, 04:45 AM
RE: Comms for BMW System 7 Helmets - by AlanM - 06-02-2020, 09:07 AM
RE: Comms for BMW System 7 Helmets - by AlanM - 06-05-2020, 03:40 AM
RE: Comms for BMW System 7 Helmets - by Lee - 06-05-2020, 09:04 AM
Comms for BMW System 7 Helmets - by Grumpy Goat - 06-05-2020, 09:39 AM