Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing low beam bulb ... most frustrating maintenance job?
Yesterday coming home from work I noticed the warning light came on for the defective bulb ... again. Now mind you last time(s) I changed the low beam bulb I used Sylvania Silverstar Ultra H7 which gives a decently white light and nice illumination. Problem is, it has a shorter-than-I-would-like lifespan.

This time I got the slightly less expensive non-Ultra Silverstar bulb and decided to install it this morning. What a PITA. I have installed many bulbs in many vehicles - including this bike - so this is not new to me, but today it seemed intent on fighting me every step of the way. First was the damned wire clip. then it did not seem to want to seat properly in the hole causing me to question orientation (tab on the flange is up), and I even managed to drop the bulb on the concrete floor. Rolleyes

On inspection the bulb did not look worse for wear but I am sure that this one will blow soon as a result. I plodded on with the installation and finally got it clipped in and connected and decided to try it to see whether the fall would cause an immediate failure. No - it lit up. Probably waiting for a nice dark opportunity soon to fail when needed the most. Thank goodness I have the Denali D2s!

Oh, and I also managed to drop the LED headlamp that I strap to my head ... ironically that stopped working. So the naked H7 didn't immediately fail, but this nice robust looking light no longer works. Undecided Needless to say some choice words were flowing in the garage ... good thing I am home alone.

I think that this is the biggest PITA job on this bike. Do y'all agree?
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro

Messages In This Thread
Changing low beam bulb ... most frustrating maintenance job? - by Grumpy Goat - 11-29-2018, 11:46 AM