Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motorcycle tire delamination
Just watched this video this morning ... shocking .

The guy was so lucky. I guess it popped up for me because I am interested in these Conti tires since their features seem interesting. After watching this maybe I will only fit the ContiSport tires to the S1000R, since the load is lighter and speeds are not consistently high.

This looks like delamination and first time I have seen this on a motorcycle tire, although there is no reason that it couldn't / shouldn't happen since the principal causes are underinflation (leading to increase in temperature) and overloading. Riding at high speed for long periods of time also leads to significant rise in temperature. Truck tire treads are the most frequent that we see especially on the side of the road, but some of us ride long distance at higher speeds and in hot temperatures, while loaded heavily.

Very important to pay attention to the tire pressures (I am anal about this on my trailer) and sticking to the manufacturer's recommendations.

As for the Continental tires -- they claim that instead of using 2 compounds (harder in centre and softer at sides) they use one compound, but prefer a differential heat curing approach to achieve a harder centre strip. Well looking at this guy's tire it certainly looks like the adhesion of that centre strip is what failed. In all fairness he was cruising on the Autobahn at over 130 mph. I did not recall him mentioning about tire pressure at the time. I don't think that it is limited to Continental tires, but his video is certainly an eye opener, especially with a fresh tire.

Any experience and info on motorcycle tire delamination?
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro

Messages In This Thread
Motorcycle tire delamination - by Grumpy Goat - 04-13-2021, 08:36 AM
RE: Motorcycle tire delamination - by Olgry1 - 04-13-2021, 09:51 AM
RE: Motorcycle tire delamination - by Ray - 04-13-2021, 01:32 PM
RE: Motorcycle tire delamination - by Grumpy Goat - 04-13-2021, 10:06 AM
RE: Motorcycle tire delamination - by Grumpy Goat - 04-14-2021, 09:58 AM