Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAM bars with Denali D2s
Anyone out there in RS land mounted Denali's to a MachineArtMoto light bar? I know it will require a U type adapter. Not much luck finding one yet and wondering if this will turn into another DIY project.
So after searching, and mostly coming up empty handed, I decided to go ahead and DIY the bracket/adapters. [Image: cec9aa8e1e358148849a58bbd8e3c6f6.jpg][Image: 80cfb3a081af98be1d89914d270ecb22.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking good, Dave.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Thanks Wayne. Funny thing. After I made these brackets, I was surfing around on Twisted Throttle. 3 pages deep in the lighting section I found the “retail” version I had been searching for.
https://www.twistedthrottle.com/denali-l...otorcycles

(12-10-2019, 08:19 PM)Duccrazydave Wrote: Thanks Wayne. Funny thing. After I made these brackets, I was surfing around on Twisted Throttle. 3 pages deep in the lighting section I found the “retail” version I had been searching for.
https://www.twistedthrottle.com/denali-l...otorcycles

Hahaha ... that is Murphy's Law for you. Oh well, yours is "bespoke" ... Big Grin
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Nice work on the brackets Dave.
Merry Christmas to me! The time has finally come to install the Denali’s. Diving in tonight. I’ll try to post some relevant pics
[Image: 0fcfbf5d7fef57551814e24a8a5f9572.jpg]

Awright! Same kit as on my bike. Good choice. Good luck with the installation.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
So I quickly found out the flaw in my home made bracket- not enough room for the Denali mounting bolt. No worries. Glad i found the correct item. One of the brackets was too narrow to fit the mounting point and had to be spread apart slightly for a perfect fit. After removing the tank side panels, I started routing the wiring. Using both individual extension leads (instead of one lead paired off) allows for left/right off function while using turn signals, instead of both lights turning off.
Both light leads were routed under the front seat mount bracket, to the left and then to each area were the pod leads terminated (right at the intake boot on each side). The power lead was passed under the frame to the battery box area.
Programming was a pain, initially. Couldn’t find the assign function to designate the outputs (default is for 2 pairs of lights), then I realized the laptop was hiding the bottom portion of the page...with the assign button.
Hey I’m not bright, but at least I’m slow, lol.
2 am was no time to head out and evaluate them, so I’ll report back soon on their effectiveness![Image: 45050baf1ebe07021cac53856172c2b1.jpg][Image: f3d0adc5897b34f61780e4caa9482d7f.jpg][Image: 17b57a3bddc95810c37b8f6a377e8104.jpg]

(12-27-2019, 08:54 AM)Duccrazydave Wrote: ...After removing the tank side panels, I started routing the wiring. Using both individual extension leads (instead of one lead paired off) allows for left/right off function while using turn signals, instead of both lights turning off.

Dave - I wonder if you have a different / updated wiring harness with yours, because I have both Denalis come off when either signal is activated. While it sounds that you only have the same-side Denali switch off when the signal is activated. Would be nice to have one still on.

When I installed mine, they were just developing the firmware to switch off the Denalis, and so I was sent a beta copy of the firmware which worked as described (both off when signalling). IIRC, they said that they were unable (up to that point) to provide the one-side off feature due to the wiring harness they had (at that time?). That is why I am wondering if your harness is different.

Which individual extension leads are you referring to? Photo?
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Hey GG. The unit I have is labeled Gen2. It comes with 2 sets of aux light leads, 1 horn lead and a taillight lead. The standard way to hook up (in 1st pic) has one output feeding each pair. The alternate wiring separates left/right, whether running 1 or 2 pair of lights. You then go to the menu, in pic 3, to assign each of the 4 Cansmart outputs to whatever function you desire. Amp ratings are also adjustable [Image: 6ed04f50ae90efc680bdeb4b127db26e.jpg][Image: e453074ebe931cd8ead0951801199e4a.jpg][Image: 76810d117b1f3d8ffc3f85b8694fa704.jpg]

(12-27-2019, 03:25 PM)Duccrazydave Wrote: Hey GG. The unit I have is labeled Gen2. It comes with 2 sets of aux light leads, 1 horn lead and a taillight lead. The standard way to hook up (in 1st pic) has one output feeding each pair. The alternate wiring separates left/right, whether running 1 or 2 pair of lights. You then go to the menu, in pic 3, to assign each of the 4 Cansmart outputs to whatever function you desire.

Yes, I see the difference. My CANSmart Controller did not have the 3-pin connectors and the Alternate Light Wiring Option was not an option for me. I wonder if my system can be upgraded for not too much money. I will ask. Thanks for the info!
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
The dry (and warm) weather has given me opportunity to dial in the aim of my Denali's. Also corrected the aim of of the stock lights, as well. These are brilliant! Really transform the night time riding experience. I imagine the bigger D4's would be even more incredible. But after seeing Wayne's bike, I liked the way their size worked with the styling of the RS. I never thought the stock RS lighting was bad, but now I know how much better it can beBig Grin For an apples to oranges comparison, I've recently been working on my brother's Kawasaki Concours. We really improved his situation, years ago, with aux lights. Back to back, same roads and conditions, the difference is huge.
Here’s a pic of my brother’s Connie, with the lighting I spoke of[Image: 654588689a11feabc9f2081e67771fa6.jpg]

(01-01-2020, 10:35 AM)Duccrazydave Wrote: Here’s a pic of my brother’s Connie, with the lighting I spoke of

Black bike ... what’s not to like. It does look like it’s in fine condition.

Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(01-01-2020, 10:32 AM)Duccrazydave Wrote: The dry (and warm) weather has given me opportunity to dial in the aim of my Denali's. Also corrected the aim of of the stock lights, as well. These are brilliant! Really transform the night time riding experience. I imagine the bigger D4's would be even more incredible. But after seeing Wayne's bike, I liked the way their size worked with the styling of the RS.

Glad it’s all sorted for you. Yes it does transform the night riding experience which for me is daily since I leave in the dark pretty much throughout the year. Other than that I don’t ride in the night much but do enjoy it when I do ... so long as the gremlins and monsters at the sides of the road pay me no mind ...

Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Just did pretty much the same set up, MAM mounts D2s & smart can. Made my own adapters to the mounts. Running a spot on the left and flood on the right. Haven't had a chance to try them at night yet, but hopefully a little more visable to traffic.        
Nice, Chris.I would be interested in your opinion of the lens stagger, when you get a chance at some twilight motoring.
Looks good
I like the MAM mount.
I'll probably go that route on the next bikes instead of the fender mounts.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT