Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Tractive Suspension Fork Cartridge
Hi guys, I went ahead and bit the bullet. I installed the Tractive Suspension fork cartridge in my 1250. Works very well, much more compliant than the stock setup. It really emphasized how harsh the rear is, so with only doing the fork the suspension is somewhat unbalanced. I currently have the rear shock in a box ready to ship out for the conversion tomorrow, so I will report back once that is done. I got the cartridge which I installed from Ted Porter at the Beemershop in Scotts Valley Ca. Ted is very helpful by the way I highly recommend him for BMW suspension. I got my Wilbers setup for my R1100S from him a few years ago and have been very happy with that. You have to send in the rear shock to get the electronic spring adjustment system swapped onto the new shock. I haven't seen anybody else do this yet with an RS so I thought I'd let you know how it worked out. I'll report back once I get the rear shock back.

How many miles do you have on the bike?
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

I have about 1800 miles on it. While the suspension had broken in some it still had too much high speed compression damping.

Chris
Very nice! I had Tractive shocks installed on a water cooled RT at 30,000 miles and for me it was a big improvement.
(07-06-2020, 03:50 PM)Chris216 Wrote: ... it still had too much high speed compression damping.....
Beginning to understand a little - your style of riding and wremching doesn"t accommodate much compromise.... Will be eager to hear your opinion on what Ted's magic does for the rear.

Darrell - refresh my memory - one of your trips about 60,000 miles ago was to include a consultation at the Porter shop. Did he end up doing any work on the RS?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
Nice, Chris! Been waiting for some real world reviews for this type of mod for a while now. Quality compression damping, even on "high end" bikes, seems to be quite elusive. Will the fork still be electronically adjustable, as original? Did you change the spring rate?Looking forward to hearing your opinions on the difference.
Dave, the fork is still electronically adjustable, PNP. Still the stock spring, I may play with preload in the future. I think at 185 lbs with gear I am at the light end of the scale with the stock springs.

Chris
Darrell - refresh my memory - one of your trips about 60,000 miles ago was to include a consultation at the Porter shop. Did he end up doing any work on the RS?

Ray - I spent some time with Ted when I had about 40,000 miles on the bike discussing suspension on my RS. I do have Tractive suspension on my 127,000 mile GSA and find it improves the ride on that bike. I’m probably 50# in full gear heavier than Chris so that probably makes a difference. When I lost my drive shaft at 93,000 miles my dealer brought me a 2016 RS with 13,000 miles on it to ride. I did not find any difference in that bikes suspension than mine with 80,000 more miles. I should probably eventually consider doing something with mine so will speak with Ted again. I have bought 7 or 8 shocks from him over the years and know he is a good person to work with. I could just run out there and have him do the work there as it is just over the hill.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

Thanks for the post Chris.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2,  2011 K1300S x 2,  2003 K1200RS x 2,  1991 K75S x 2,  1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
Wink 
(07-07-2020, 07:59 AM)darrell Wrote: ... so will speak with Ted again. I have bought 7 or 8 shocks from him over the years and know he is a good person to work with. I could just run out there and have him do the work there as it is just over the hill.
Smile The US has become a small place for you. Sounds like you're going to run out of local trips pretty soon and will have to see how folks are doing on the other side of the hill (or, in this case, two mountain ranges...). Consultations on suspension seem as good a reason as any for a 5,000 mile trip.
This looks great.
Just about the only thing I feel is bad on the RS is the high speed damping, it is still not right on my 1250, I did hope that it had been fixed when changing from my 1200
prior to the 1200 RS I had a F800GS and even on that I changed the front cartridge as high speed damping was far too harsh.
The only BMWs that do not suffer from this design error are the telelever types.
Keep us posted on performance and a rough idea on costs.
Alan M
Hi guys, just reporting back on the rear shock. I had hoped to do this last weekend, but despite Ted doing a one day turn around on the conversion UPS had other ideas.... In short the shock works well, giving a firm ride but not harsh. It's actually a little firmer than I would like in road mode, but I think that is probably down to me being on the light side for the BMW spring rates (when did the average rider become 100 kg? Tongue) I took it out in the twisties and ran it hard enough that it would have wallowed and required dynamic with the stock set up. Fully controlled in road, no wallowing at all. I haven't tried it in dynamic yet, I will report back when I do. High speed compression is dramatically improved, no more feeling like some one is kicking me in the butt on sharp bumps. All up (with me doing the install on the fork) with shipping it was a hair over $2K for the front and rear.

Excellent post Chris. Sharing this info is very much appreciated. We all benefitted from your experience! Thanks again.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
I just had a major service on my RS, new Roadsmart IV tires installed and a new front and rear Tractive suspension system installed. Yesterday rode for 40 miles just to see if I could feel the difference. Wow, did not know the OEM suspension had degraded that much. Bike rides better then when it was new.

With the new tires and temps only 39 so pavement cold I had to be a bit careful. I rode a stretch I hated to travel on with the RS as it pounded me to pieces before the change. I could ride that stretch with my R1150GSA and could feel and see the Tractive suspension on that bike being worked hard but my ride was smooth as riding on a sheet of glass. Yesterday the RS traveled that same stretch with the exact same feeling as the GSA. I could feel the suspension working like crazy but my ride was perfectly smooth. I’ll get Elizabeth to help me check the sag at each of the one helmet, helmet plus luggage and 2 helmets on Friday afternoon. Yesterday rode with one helmet and it seemed perfect. Had no luggage on the bike yesterday except an empty tank bag riding with my one piece Aerostich and heated jacket liner. I think the bike also sits higher on the rear with one helmet then it did before at 2 helmets so a greater lean on the side stand. Should have done this at 50,000 miles. Now understand why Chris installed this at 1500 miles on his 2020 R1250RS as he is much lighter weight then I am so felt he was getting beat up. We have several nice days the next week so will get out a few more times to play around with different settings. And a big thanks to Chris for taking my phone calls and answering questions as well as to Ted at The Beemer Shop for my many calls with questions.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

Darrell, no problem, glad it worked out well for you!

Chris
Darrel,
Great report and the result I would expect. Will have to start saving as have just spent £320 on Avon Spirit ST tyres. Had Roadsmart3 on my 1200RS loved them but the 4 is not yet in UK. Avon £50 less than Dunlop and £80 less that Road 5’s.
On wet and slippy 40 mile ride home they felt very good. Will update when bedded ib and dry roads
AlanM
(12-03-2020, 12:49 PM)AlanM Wrote: Darrel,
... Will have to start saving...
Right. Me too.... Significant investment at 10% of the initial cost of the bike, but well-tuned suspension still remains the Holy Grail.
Many thanks to all.
(12-03-2020, 12:06 PM)darrell Wrote: I’ll get Elizabeth to help me check the sag at each of the one helmet, helmet plus luggage and 2 helmets on Friday afternoon.
I'm available to help. I'm close, retired, and cheap. Seriously, my schedule is wide open tomorrow.
I ride '19 R1250GSA, '23 KTM Duke 890 R, '23 Yamaha Xmax 300
My wife rides '20 R1250GS, '22 KTM Duke 890 GP, '19 Yamaha Xmax 300
Formerly proud Granite Gray '16 R1200RS x2 owners
(12-03-2020, 02:40 PM)MrVvrroomm Wrote: I'm available to help. I'm close, retired, and cheap. Seriously, my schedule is wide open tomorrow.
See you at 1100 tomorrow.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

Darrell, now you are ready for another 100,000 miles!