Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting experiment on engine tightness ... you may have a few surprises
Another interesting video from Fort Nine on engine tightness for several manufacturers. See where BMW came out ... it was not on top, but ...

Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Interesting video, and a good validation for the 20 mile oil changes I do on any motor that I've built myself. And I'm super anal about cleanliness (used to work in a class 10 clean room (semiconductors)). Although I did wait to the recommended 600 miles on the RS. Thanks for posting this GG.

Chris
Richard will like this video.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2,  2011 K1300S x 2,  2003 K1200RS x 2,  1991 K75S x 2,  1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(03-20-2021, 07:06 AM)Lee Wrote: Richard will like this video.
Suspect he's already seen it.
Can't believe they ran the Chinese bike 1st ....
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
Good video, thanks GG.
2020 R1250 RS
2022 K1600 GT
2022 Kawasaki H2SXSE
Niwot CO USA
Thanks Wayne. Interesting that Royal Enfield was rated so well.
After watching the video once, it occurred to me that he didn't mention the oil filter. So I watched it a second time, and sure enough, he didn't mentioned the oil filter. I did a search on oil filter spec and found that 20 micron is a common spec for motorcycle oil filters.

"How many microns is a standard oil filter?
20 microns
The key is to look for a filter that tests at the industry standard using particles at 20 microns using the ISO 4548-12 test. Particles in the 10-20 micron range cause the most damage and wear to an engine. FRAM Extra Guard is 95.7% efficient @ 20 microns using the ISO test."

The above was from FRAM

Since he didn't consider the oil filter, his conclusions could be right, or could be wrong. Could it be BMW has the best oil filter? Could it be the Chinese bike has no oil filter? Surely Ducati's have good oil filters, how could that oil have so much stuff greater than 20 microns?
2020 R1250 RS
2022 K1600 GT
2022 Kawasaki H2SXSE
Niwot CO USA
(03-20-2021, 12:31 PM)Olgry1 Wrote: Thanks Wayne. Interesting that Royal Enfield was rated so well.
A pleasant surprise. The local dealership has been selling Royal Enfieds. I asked if the mechanics complained.... Apparently fairly good engineering, or, at least the mechanics aren't breaking a lot of bolts and parts or having to clean up messes created by home mechanics spoiled by the forgiving nature of their BMWs.
(03-20-2021, 06:06 AM)Chris216 Wrote: Interesting video, and a good validation for the 20 mile oil changes I do on any motor that I've built myself. ....
Chris

Reminds me of the guys at the track, who would drain the oil after every session to.make sure there were no bits and pieces breaking or shearing off.... of course, we weren't looking through microscopes or looking at optical density back in those days. Still, it was amazing what some of these guys could tell about an engines health from the bottom of the oil pan.
(03-20-2021, 11:26 PM)Ray Wrote:
(03-20-2021, 12:31 PM)Olgry1 Wrote: Thanks Wayne. Interesting that Royal Enfield was rated so well.
A pleasant surprise. The local dealership has been selling Royal Enfieds. I asked if the mechanics complained.... Apparently fairly good engineering, or, at least the mechanics aren't breaking a lot of bolts and parts or having to clean up messes created by home mechanics spoiled by the forgiving nature of their BMWs.

Engles in Kansas City also started to carry Royal Enfield.
BMW and Triumph are on the main floor and Royal Enfield in the basement next to the shop.
It's a small building so there's not enough room for all threes on the main floor.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2,  2011 K1300S x 2,  2003 K1200RS x 2,  1991 K75S x 2,  1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
n=1 is meaningless. As he says, "science is a bitch". FortNine seems to be leaving his scientific background in the name of clicks.

Change your oil early no matter who made the bike.
(03-22-2021, 06:41 AM)TriangleRider Wrote: n=1 is meaningless. As he says, "science is a bitch". FortNine seems to be leaving his scientific background in the name of clicks.

Change your oil early no matter who made the bike.
How true.
My first question was, which model of BMW? If it was a Chinese engine, then another eye opener.
I've ridden a few Royal Enfields.

Opinion: the Himalayan is a toy. It's seriously underpowered compared with other available modern 300-400cc bikes. Nice enough if you want to putter around local gravel roads and smooth two-track trails.

The 650 Interceptor is a cool retro bike. Again, much more power available with modern Japanese 650's. I've owned plenty of "retro" bikes before they were retro. I prefer new & modern.
I ride '19 R1250GSA, '23 KTM Duke 890 R, '23 Yamaha Xmax 300
My wife rides '20 R1250GS, '22 KTM Duke 890 GP, '19 Yamaha Xmax 300
Formerly proud Granite Gray '16 R1200RS x2 owners
(03-22-2021, 09:10 AM)MrVvrroomm Wrote: I've owned plenty of "retro" bikes before they were retro. I prefer new & modern.

Me too, I like new and modern.
2020 R1250 RS
2022 K1600 GT
2022 Kawasaki H2SXSE
Niwot CO USA
Highly accurate, for such a small study.
Pity my poor Ducati, or rather the poor Ducati owner that wasn't mechanically competent enough to avoid the dealer at every bump in the road. My '92 900SS has a spin on filter and a removable screen. Displayed clearly on this screen (at every 3k oil change) was the evidence of the story of an aluminum oil galley plug determined to find a better home than the crankshaft, where it was originally installed. Earlier in its' life (aka still under warranty), the little slivers and crumbs were from valve guide material. I can only imagine the look of shock and horror on the lab assistant's face at the contents, if the oil had been analyzed at its initial 6oo mile service, lol.
55k miles and countingBig Grin
(03-22-2021, 09:10 AM)MrVvrroomm Wrote: I've ridden a few Royal Enfields.

Opinion: the Himalayan is a toy. It's seriously underpowered compared with other available modern 300-400cc bikes. Nice enough if you want to putter around local gravel roads and smooth two-track trails.

The 650 Interceptor is a cool retro bike. Again, much more power available with modern Japanese 650's. I've owned plenty of "retro" bikes before they were retro. I prefer new & modern.

I test rode one two summers ago. I didn't think of it as a toy but now that you mention it, that's an apt description.
I have a Himalayan and agree with all your words except 'toy'. It's a real bike, but restricted to the use you describe. That's exactly what I bought it for. If I'm going to my daughter's house 10 miles away, it's a much better appliance than the RS. So both bikes have their strong points.
(03-23-2021, 04:35 AM)Duccrazydave Wrote: Earlier in its' life (aka still under warranty), the little slivers and crumbs were from valve guide material. I can only imagine the look of shock and horror on the lab assistant's face at the contents, if the oil had been analyzed at its initial 6oo mile service, lol.
55k miles and countingBig Grin

Hehehe ... its getting rid of excess material. Just rev the engine up and blow it out of the tail-pipe ... its all good. Big Grin At 55k miles and counting, you are ahead of the game, especially for a Ducati. Just keep flushing her out with every oil change and enjoy.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(03-23-2021, 07:00 AM)BobAintStoppin Wrote: I have a Himalayan and agree with all your words except 'toy'. It's a real bike, but restricted to the use you describe. That's exactly what I bought it for. If I'm going to my daughter's house 10 miles away, it's a much better appliance than the RS. So both bikes have their strong points.

Good points, Bob.

Ever watch any YouTube videos from India? The Himalayan makes a heck of a lot of sense. It is tough, well enough built and light enough to be useful on or off the road, and it handles the rough stuff in stride, even if it takes a longer time doing it. And fixing it should be dead easy. To my way of thinking that makes a successful bike for its mission profile.

If 2 of them were good enough for Itchy Boots and her expeditions, then that says something.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Not to prolong this thread, which started with the concept of oil analysis - but while thinking about this years national MOA rally, found this seminar for Saturday morning....

2:15 PM - 3:15 PM - WEST ROOM - FINE ARTS BLDG
Oil Analysis and your Motorcycle Engine
Presenter: Samir Kharbas
This presentation is an overview of oil analysis, what it can and can't do as well as some examples of different types of problems we see. Samir has eight years of experience analyzing oil and had a background in mechanical work prior to joining Blackstone.