Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daytona Road Star GTX wide boot
I feel I am forced to splurge on a pair of Daytona boots as they seem to be the only MC boot maker offering wide boots other than getting custom boots built.
[Image: RoadStarGTX--m.png]
https://www.chromeburner.com/daytona-roa...e-xl-black
As per usual the European online sites have the most options. North American sites are mostly out of stock for what I am looking for.
Funny, when I contacted the Canadian dealers (2 of) they said they could not custom order. What the....

I have read other reviews such as GG's on the Sidi's but I have stupid feet and don't mind paying for the Road Stars as they get great reviews and I need them wide!
I have mentioned in other posts about emailing support to the European sites first regarding help with returns if need be. Shipping one way would be $100 cad from here. When contacted they said they could send me a company return label for around $25 us (chrome burner site)
I hate buying things without trying them on especially from Europe but I have had great luck. So all of the research I have done tells me to get a pair on the larger size and extra wide. This should give me room for an insole upgrade.
We shall see how this goes.
R&D department
This is a good one. Please do keep the thread informed on how you make out.

One of the reasons for the founding of Twisted Throttle and Revzilla is the lack in the NA market of good motorcycle gear (and since HD was around at the time, I would assume they meant) for riders other than Harley fanboys. Looking at the Revzilla and Cycle Gear sites they are listed but all wide sizes are out of stock. They are probably slower sellers so they don't carry many in stock to begin with.

You may simply have to measure your feet and then contact the European sellers and get them to comment on fitment based on your actual measurements. Selecting footwear simply on "size" alone is hit and miss at best, and unless returns are convenient, it is better to buy where they can be tried on. But then you know that ... Smile
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
(02-18-2022, 11:08 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: You may simply have to measure your feet and then contact the European sellers and get them to comment on fitment based on your actual measurements.
I have done exactly that. I have been in communication with a couple of sellers and the one who commented on fitment said that they fit true to size, but this is from a sales person. If you are a 10 or 43 then that's what you want.
I have asked what I believe is the manufacturers site the same question with measurements at hand and am waiting for their answer.
R&D department
(02-18-2022, 04:19 PM)maxredline Wrote:
(02-18-2022, 11:08 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: You may simply have to measure your feet and then contact the European sellers and get them to comment on fitment based on your actual measurements.
I have done exactly that. I have been in communication with a couple of sellers and the one who commented on fitment said that they fit true to size, but this is from a sales person. If you are a 10 or 43 then that's what you want.
I have asked what I believe is the manufacturers site the same question with measurements at hand and am waiting for their answer.

I don't think you can do better otherwise, given the circumstances.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
I am still waiting for replies. I have now also inquired into the Max Sport GTX model as it is a lower boot. Apparently these boots also come in wide sizes I just need to confirm that.
[Image: MaxSportsGTX--m.png]
https://www.daytona.de/en/Boots/display/...Sports-GTX
R&D department
Have you tried on a Daytona boot? They run wider even in the "normal" sizes. Daytona boots don't narrow at the arch nearly as much as other brands. Here's a pic that compares the sole on a new Daytona Spirit GTX boot to the sole of an Alpinestars touring boot. Both are size 43. You can see how much wider the Daytona is throughout the sole compared to the Astars.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
[Image: 40fcded59468bd27c6356aa77b14b1cd.jpg]
Wow, I like, but no place to try on in these parts. I still would go wide, probably not extra wide. At this point I like to swim in my boots. Thanks for the picture.
I will continue to try used, broken in boots that are in great shape in the meantime. I might get lucky.
Which makes me think about sellers who should be thinking about making the sale while the iron is hot. Like giving me the information I need.
Pass me a beer, scooters are looking better all the time!
R&D department
I have received instructions from the Daytona company in the form of a video on how they would like measurements done. I have done that and sent that back to them for clarification on fitment. They do make custom boots and we shall see what options are instore.
I can't manage to upload the video and I do not see it on their web site...go figure.
R&D department
(02-20-2022, 10:50 AM)maxredline Wrote: I am still waiting for replies. I have now also inquired into the Max Sport GTX model as it is a lower boot. Apparently these boots also come in wide sizes I just need to confirm that.

I like tall boot so I have a good overlap of the boot top and my pants.
You'd be surprised how much water a boot can hold when riding in the rain and there is not a good overlap Big Grin
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
Quote:You'd be surprised how much water a boot can hold when riding in the rain and there is not a good overlap Big Grin

My rain pants are always long and have never had a problem. I have where my jacket meets my pants though. I still have not made a decision but the Road Stars are their top selling boot.
R&D department
I have grown tired of the Daytona companies spotty communication regarding fit and have noted the inventory on line has been dropping.
After research I have ordered from a German site on line, true to my size and wide.
R&D department
(02-25-2022, 08:46 PM)maxredline Wrote: I have grown tired of the Daytona companies spotty communication regarding fit and have noted the inventory on line has been dropping.
After research I have ordered from a German site on line, true to my size and wide.

The Spirit GTX is not sold in N.A., so I ordered a pair from FC-moto. They had them shipped in 24 hours. Arrived in about 10 days or so.
After ordering a wide from Motoin the Daytona company site confirms that indeed an extra wide would work best for me. I contacted Motoin about the change and they do not have the extra wide. Good thing they are tardy on their shipment's as it will be easier to get a refund.
So off I go again, this time online from Louis as they had the extra wide in stock.
R&D department
Picked up the boots from the post office today. After the initial cost I had to pony up an extra $118 cad for duty/tax. Expensive boots indeed!

First impression is yes they are super high quality boots. I am so glad I ordered the extra wide as they seem just wide to me. After trying them on the first time can tell I won't need to wear them around the house to break them in as they are pretty comfortable out of the box. The insoles are a little harder than I prefer but good for most people I suspect. I doubt walking in these boot will be a problem but they are no sneakers either.
Getting in and out of these boots is a breeze as they can be peeled apart like a banana. There is only one catch as there is one curved zipper that is kind of funky but with practice I am sure I will get the proper routine to zip it up.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

R&D department
After all the cost and trouble to get it, I’m just glad that it fits and you don’t have to worry about sending it back.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Final conclusions;
Contact the company through their website and get the information on how they want you to trace your foots outline with dimensions so they can advise on sizing.
I installed supper feet insoles for more comfort.
The boots are the best I have ever had and when the time comes I will take advantage of their service of resoling if needed.
Pricey but so worth it, at least for me.
R&D department
VERY late to this particular tea party, here's a vote in favor of Daytonas.  They may be expensive, but that's a regret you'll feel only only.  In 50 years riding these are the second most comfortable boots I've ever owned - #1 remains Sidi Adventure but they are not great on the RS.

I'm also a proponent of the stuff they sell for their leather and the lube/goop for their zips (which needed it - remained sticky for a while).

Daytona are also more kindly disposed towards any remedial work that needs to be to resolve either wear or damage.

No affiliation yada yada...
There's a vented version available too too. Quoting Christina Frey:

"The Road Star GTX is equipped with the warm Duratherm Gore-Tex membrane made for temperatures from 0-28 degrees. [0-82F]

"The Vent version is made for hot temperatures with a Carbon Grey membrane made for temperatures from 15-35 degrees [59-95] and
has inserts made from CORDURA for more breathability."
(02-16-2024, 04:25 PM)JtL Wrote: There's a vented version available too too.  Quoting Christina Frey:

"The Road Star GTX is equipped with the warm Duratherm Gore-Tex membrane made for temperatures from 0-28 degrees. [0-82F]

"The Vent version is made for hot temperatures with a Carbon Grey membrane made for temperatures from 15-35 degrees [59-95] and
has inserts made from CORDURA for more breathability."

What about the M Star GTX ?  Thank you
(02-28-2022, 10:27 AM)maxredline Wrote: So off I go again, this time online from Louis as they had the extra wide in stock.

Who's Louis?
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT