Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multistrada's
I had a first gen Multistrada and loved it. Light, flickable and good for the open road. The only thing is was starting to hurt the body. That is why I bought the RS. I was missing the Multi experience so I thought I'd sell the RS and buy a used Multi. I sat on the 950 model and got off without a test ride. That thing is tall! I sat on a 2105 Multi 1200 S touring where I could get the balls of my feet on the ground. The bike was on its side stand with the drive way tilting to that side. I could not believe how top heavy it was to get off the stand. The 1200 and the RS are close in weight but obviously carry it differently.
So here I am back to the RS. Maybe I will install the handlebar conversion and live with its porky handling in the fast stuff. My ego needs to take a vacation lol.
R&D department
I seriously wanted to get a Multi but the (at least to me) extreme height it was a no go. I have a 29" inseam and even getting on a Multi or any Adv style bike almost results in my having to use a step stool. I'm thrilled to have my RS. It fits everything I need in a bike. I agree with GG and others though that BMW aren't trying very hard to make the model a success. I can't fathom why but then BMW as a company do many things I can't fathom such as no longer making the factory service manual available to mere mortals like BMW motorcycle owners.
Happiness comes not from what you have, but from enjoying all that you do have no matter how much or little that may be.
Talk to Chris or Darrell about the Tractive upgrade through Ted Porter. It had me banging through familiar turns almost a full gear higher than stock. I('m on my phone, or I would look up the thread for you.)
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
(09-21-2022, 05:59 PM)maxredline Wrote: I had a first gen Multistrada and loved it. Light, flickable and good for the open road. The only thing is was starting to hurt the body. That is why I bought the RS. I was missing the Multi experience so I thought I'd sell the RS and buy a used Multi. I sat on the 950 model and got off without a test ride. That thing is tall! ...

When I was in the market for the S1000XR (in 2015 following a dealer demo day test ride, an before ending up with the RS) I also sat on a Multistrada (the multi-line dealership sells both Ducati and BMW) and also found it tall (30" inseam). I also found the seat was curved so that my butt was cupped. I don't like seats like that and would not buy a bike with a well curved seat (yes I know you can buy aftermarket seats but that is not the point and I should not have to buy a seat right off the bat). Another thing that turned me away is a good comment by my salesman, that the costs to service and maintain Ducatis are more than BMWs. I thought that it was interesting that he should share that since as a salesman he / the dealership would make money either way.

Lot of changes to the Multistrada line since then. For one the seat does not appear to be as curved on some of the models but they still appear to be high (e.g. the V4S starts at 33.1" but try finding that on the useless website). Nice bikes but I can't see me buying one - cost vs benefit being the principal reason.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
(09-21-2022, 06:51 PM)Motorhead1977 Wrote: ... I can't fathom why but then BMW as a company do many things I can't fathom such as no longer making the factory service manual available to mere mortals like BMW motorcycle owners.

I forgot about that ...  Angry
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro