Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rabaconda Street Tire Changer
If you're considering changing your own tires, take a look at this https://rabaconda.com/products/street-bike-tire-changer. This is a magical little machine that weighs only 36 lbs (16 kg) and comes with a carry bag, so is completely portable. I bought the starter kit, which comes with bead grease and brush, 2 bead hold-down tools, and a few other bits and pieces. I also bought an extra hold-down tool, and the BMW 62/72 mm rear wheel adaptor.
I recently changed my Dunlop Roadsmart 4 tires (old and new) with it, and I couldn't believe how easy it was. The RS4s are known to have a very stiff sidewall and to be very difficult to change, so I was expecting some struggle. I did have about 30 seconds of struggle getting the second bead of the new rear tire mounted. The key is to get as much of the already mounted bead as possible into the drop-center of the rim. I needed all three hold-down tools for that step. 
Before attempting my first change I watched the Tutorial a bunch of times, made a checklist of things to remember, and then followed the video step by step as I changed the tires. I think that all helped a lot. 
The sheer genius of this machine, which now seems so obvious now but no-one else ever thought of, is that all the effort is in pushing down against the ground. The ratchet system means when mounting or dismounting you stand behind the machine and push the handle down repeatedly. You don't have to anchor the machine to the floor, you just need a non-slip surface on which to work. I used a heavy-duty 3' x 5' rubber-backed mat that we have. 
The Rabaconda is not cheap. I think the total for everything I bought was about US$700. 
And, you also need some sort of wheel balancing setup. I considered the Harbor Freight motorcycle wheel balancer, but its cones are too small for the R1200RS front wheel. I bought the Marc Parnes balancer, which is simple and beautifully made. For the R1200RS rear wheel you will also need the Marc Parnes 62mm BMW adaptor, and something to sit it on. I just use my jack stands, but milk crates with some weight in them would probably work. 
The two hardest parts of the whole operation were 1) getting the old wheel weights and adhesive off (this thing and some Goo Gone with a nylon scrubber and some elbow grease did the trick), 2) getting the new front tire bead to seat all the way around. I used plenty of bead grease and inflated to the max recommended 40 psi (dire warnings on the tire label to not exceed 40 psi to seat the bead) and left it overnight. About 1/3 of the bead still would not seat. In the end, I sprayed some WD-40 around the bead, removed the valve core (get air in faster) and pumped it up to 60 psi. Seconds later both beads seated with a pop. 
Next time I have 1500 miles left on a set of tires and I'm about to set off on a 3000 mile trip, I can keep the old tires and put them back on later.
WAM_thumbsup
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(03-09-2023, 09:45 AM)mspratz Wrote: If you're considering changing your own tires, take a look at this https://rabaconda.com/products/street-bike-tire-changer. This is a magical little machine that weighs only 36 lbs (16 kg) and comes with a carry bag, so is completely portable. I bought the starter kit, which comes with bead grease and brush, 2 bead hold-down tools, and a few other bits and pieces. I also bought an extra hold-down tool, and the BMW 62/72 mm rear wheel adaptor.
I recently changed my Dunlop Roadsmart 4 tires (old and new) with it, and I couldn't believe how easy it was. The RS4s are known to have a very stiff sidewall and to be very difficult to change, so I was expecting some struggle. I did have about 30 seconds of struggle getting the second bead of the new rear tire mounted. The key is to get as much of the already mounted bead as possible into the drop-center of the rim. I needed all three hold-down tools for that step. 
Before attempting my first change I watched the Tutorial a bunch of times, made a checklist of things to remember, and then followed the video step by step as I changed the tires. I think that all helped a lot. 
The sheer genius of this machine, which now seems so obvious now but no-one else ever thought of, is that all the effort is in pushing down against the ground. The ratchet system means when mounting or dismounting you stand behind the machine and push the handle down repeatedly. You don't have to anchor the machine to the floor, you just need a non-slip surface on which to work. I used a heavy-duty 3' x 5' rubber-backed mat that we have. 
The Rabaconda is not cheap. I think the total for everything I bought was about US$700. ...

Well Michael, again you are the bomb! Thanks for making me have to open my flipping wallet and pull out $700!!  Big Grin

This makes sooooo much sense from an engineering standpoint, and even if you find you need more force you can always add that be increasing the lever arm (with a pipe extension). I love the duck head which appears to be more robust than the tips on my Cycle Hill changer, and which is similar to those on the real motorized machines in tire shops. Such a simple *and transporable* machine. Its design makes the Cycle Hill changer almost (dare I say it) backward, with its horizontal plane of effort.  Undecided

The most important bits I highlighted in red.  Smile

I guess my bonus will be going towards one of these, since I have several used tires that I will *not* throw away just because of one puncture!! 

Thanks again Michael. Now I have to list a lightly used Cycle Hill setup for sale ...

For me the rest (balancing etc) is easy, but you offer some excellent tips ... as usual.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Just ordered my Rabaconda Kit with 3rd drop centre tool.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
I c a review coming Tongue
R&D department
(03-13-2023, 04:07 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Just ordered my Rabaconda Kit with 3rd drop centre tool.

Congratulations, I don't think you'll regret it. Did you sell the other one yet?
(03-13-2023, 06:54 PM)maxredline Wrote: I c a review coming Tongue

You can bet your last dollar on that.  Big Grin

Funnily enough, although there are lots of Rabaconda videos out there most are from Rabaconda themselves - not many from satisfied customers.  Huh  I certainly hope I am one since it cost $200 more than the Cycle Hill Chnager I have.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(03-13-2023, 06:58 PM)mspratz Wrote: Congratulations, I don't think you'll regret it. Did you sell the other one yet?

I certainly hope I don't regret it. Big Grin Shouldn't as it seems to make a lot of sense. As soon as I can I will sell the other one. Another good thing about the Rabaconda is that it is portable and stored in a bag! Doesn't occupy much space in my already cluttered half of a small 2-car garage.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(03-13-2023, 09:24 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: As soon as I can I will sell the other one.

Most tires changers I see for sale are local pickup only because of the shipping cost.
Can the Cycle Hill changer be broken down to a reasonable size? How much does it weigh.

At least you live in a large city with a lot of possible buyers nearby.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(03-14-2023, 08:09 AM)Lee Wrote: Most tires changers I see for sale are local pickup only because of the shipping cost.
Can the Cycle Hill changer be broken down to a reasonable size? How much does it weigh.

I was thinking of that also, and was leaning towards listing it locally via Craigslist Houston or FB Marketplace etc.

Yes, it can be broken down to a shipping size (which is how it came via UPS) but I would have to find boxes and go through all the hassle of shipping one or more boxes. I do have an unboxing and setup video which I could use to reverse the process if needed.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(03-14-2023, 10:56 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:
(03-14-2023, 08:09 AM)Lee Wrote: Most tires changers I see for sale are local pickup only because of the shipping cost.

I was thinking of that also, and was leaning towards listing it locally via Craigslist Houston or FB Marketplace etc.

Yes, it can be broken down to a shipping size (which is how it came via UPS) but I would have to find boxes and go through all the hassle of shipping one or more boxes. I do have an unboxing and setup video which I could use to reverse the process if needed.

It was great when Debbie still worked. I would show her what I needed to ship and the next day she would come home with the correct size box.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Got my grease, brush and 3 drop centre tools fast. Tire changer itself is back-ordered till end of April. Luckily I have no immediate need.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Looks good, but as an old cripple, no longer changing his own tires, ergonomically, I'd need something a little above waist high, that did not require a lot of bending over to operate. (Your argument might be that if I did it right as a young guy, I'd have enough money for a pro changer..., or the Dunlop Pro mechanic down the street.)

Remember to have fun with this. (Since you can't apply direct downward pressure to assist the device, I assume the upcoming video is not going to include the the wrestling match that seems common to other do-it-yourself, tire-changing videos.)
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/rabac...r.1630675/
I ride '19 R1250GSA, '23 KTM Duke 890 R, '23 Yamaha Xmax 300
My wife rides '20 R1250GS, '22 KTM Duke 890 GP, '19 Yamaha Xmax 300
Formerly proud Granite Gray '16 R1200RS x2 owners
(03-16-2023, 08:47 PM)Ray Wrote: Looks good, but as an old cripple, no longer changing his own tires, ergonomically, I'd need something a little above waist high, that did not require a lot of bending over to operate. (Your argument might be that if I did it right as a young guy, I'd have enough money for a pro changer..., or the Dunlop Pro mechanic down the street.)

Remember to have fun with this. (Since you can't apply direct downward pressure to assist the device, I assume the upcoming video is not going to include the the wrestling match that seems common to other do-it-yourself, tire-changing videos.)

Points well taken Ray. I agree with you of course, especially on the need to have fun with this ... either that or we have to cry. You have a bad back (especially since you insist on riding that demon bicycle! Big Grin ) and tire changers appear to create a lot of strain on the back not to mention exertion. The Rabaconda seems to put more effort in the arm strength pushing downwards so I am encouraged by this. Also it does not look like there would be a lot of repeated up and down, which for me, tends to make me light-headed. I will take advantage of the large tub of tire grease though and also the good suggestions for warming the tires to be mounted. There will be videos of this, for sure, especially of my first tire change, where hopefully you don't all continue to see how I suck at this.  Big Grin

I have no issue paying people to change the tires, it's just that in these parts the people who change tires also sell them and the convention is to trash a tire just because it has a puncture - irrespective of whether the tire has lots of life left - and sell the customer another tire. I refuse to do this and cause more waste for landfills (not to mention waste of money!!), hence the multiple tires in my garage and the purchase of the tire changers.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(03-17-2023, 06:04 AM)MrVvrroomm Wrote: https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/rabac...r.1630675/

Thanks for this link Bruce - perfect write up! I especially liked where he said "Just for practice and to get the tire turned around to run in the correct direction I completed another removal and replacement."  Big Grin Yeah right ... the real reason was to remount the tire the right way. 

I also like his idea of the masking tape with the arrow - both as a reminder when mounting and also to help get the direction right. 

His tips about lubing and re-lubing as the lube dries, is critical, it seems. That is probably the point missed by many whose efforts end in failure. Even the Rabaconda video shows the guys re-lubing as he goes along. 

Lastly, his concluding tips are golden ... including his comment on the supplied grease brush, which until reading his post I thought was cool. I will have to see if I have the same experience.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(03-16-2023, 02:22 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Got my grease, brush and 3 drop centre tools fast. Tire changer itself is back-ordered till end of April. Luckily I have no immediate need.

I had the same experience with my order; it arrived in stages as the bits became available. The tire changer itself arrived about when they estimated it would. The thing that took the longest was the BMW rear wheel adapter.
(03-17-2023, 07:47 AM)mspratz Wrote: I had the same experience with my order; it arrived in stages as the bits became available. The tire changer itself arrived about when they estimated it would. The thing that took the longest was the BMW rear wheel adapter.

Uh Oh ... I didn't order that. Is this what you are referring to?

Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(03-17-2023, 08:21 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:
(03-17-2023, 07:47 AM)mspratz Wrote: I had the same experience with my order; it arrived in stages as the bits became available. The tire changer itself arrived about when they estimated it would. The thing that took the longest was the BMW rear wheel adapter.

Uh Oh ... I didn't order that. Is this what you are referring to?

Yes it is. You need that, or, I think they have a universal single-sided-swingarm-wheel adapter that might work. 
You could call and ask them to add it to your existing order so you don't have to pay another shipping charge. They are very accommodating; it is worth a shot.
UPDATE: Having just had a quick look at the universal adapter, I don't think it will work for the BMW.
UPDATE2: Maybe it would; it specifies up to 68 mm, so might be fine for the RS (62 mm) but not for a K16 (72 mm). Ask them!
(03-17-2023, 06:04 AM)MrVvrroomm Wrote: https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/rabac...r.1630675/

Good info on the supplied lube and brush.
Good point about the tire cooling down before it's mounted if working in a garage in the winter.
At least the tool is portable enough a person can set it up in the basement if you have a basement.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport