Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bike will be crossing the border without me
Good day,

This July I have the opportunity to have my bike transported in the back of a pickup my niece and her husband are driving from Montreal to Edmonton, Alberta. Plan is to fly out and then go on a road trip thru Montana for 2 weeks and fly back from Edmonton to Montreal. On the way back my niece is planning on returning to Canada via the States. Which means she needs to cross the American border and then back into Canada. Does anybody see any issues at the borders if I am not present with the bike? Is there a risk the border agent might not allow the bike to enter? I know the topic of is it for sale might come up so what if it does?

TIA

Norm

PS
Reason I am not riding it out is I have only 2 weeks for the trip
Depends on what you call issues. As an immigrant to both countries the customs and immigration people can cause all sorts of issues, some being entirely baseless and time-wasting.

If I were you, I would ensure my niece has copy of your proof of ownership and current registration and insurance for the bike, as well as an open letter stating that she is simply transporting the bike through the US back into Canada.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
(05-29-2024, 10:50 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Depends on what you call issues. As an immigrant to both countries the customs and immigration people can cause all sorts of issues, some being entirely baseless and time-wasting.

If I were you, I would ensure my niece has copy of your proof of ownership and current registration and insurance for the bike, as well as an open letter stating that she is simply transporting the bike through the US back into Canada.

I'm crossing the border this Saturday on a ride to Lake George so I think I'll stop in and ask what homeland security thinks of my concerns :p Problem is, I still won't trust what they say will follow thru at a different border. GG If I do dare, I will follow your suggestions to minimalize any drama. Just not sure my niece will want to risk it and possibly ruin her trip Sad
So, I went out for a pleasant 650kms ride albeit in traffic once arriving in Lake George (last day of Americade). I don't know how they get away with those loud pipes. Anyways, crossing the border the agent told me I need form 3299 Unaccompanied Goods. A quick read this morning doesn't mention vehicles actually so I'm going to look into that a bit deeper.
(06-02-2024, 09:15 AM)NormR Wrote: So, I went out for a pleasant 650kms ride albeit in traffic once arriving in Lake George (last day of Americade). I don't know how they get away with those loud pipes. Anyways, crossing the border the agent told me I need form 3299 Unaccompanied Goods. A quick read this morning doesn't mention vehicles actually so I'm going to look into that a bit deeper.

Good to know. Here is a link to the form (PDF): CBP Form 3299

It references these statutes: 19 CFR:
  1. 148.6 - § 148.6 Entry of unaccompanied shipments of effects subject to personal exemptions. Says a declaration of the importer on Customs Form 3299, or its electronic equivalent, shall be required to support the claim for free entry. Free entry does not cover automobiles and other vehicles of residents returning from countries other than Canada or Mexico. 
  2. 148.52 - § 148.52 Exemption for household effects used abroad. Does not apply to the motorcycle.
  3. 148.53 - § 148.53 Exemption for tools of trade. Doesn't really apply to the motorcycle unless you use it for work.
  4. 148.77 - § 148.77 Entry of effects on termination of assignment to extended duty, or on evacuation. References articles for which free entry is claimed under subheading 9805.00.50, Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (19 U.S.C. 1202). Verification of claim for exemption could include the paperwork I mentioned.

Good luck.  Smile
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro