Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Trips End Early for Mechanical Reasons
I too believe it is arbitrary. But ... Look your homeowners policy and tell me your house is really the value the insurance company put on it. They are collecting insurance on that value. Your insurance company for vehicles is likely doing the same. Check the top line of what you paid for your bike. Likely in the $16,000 - $17,000 range or lower with any rebates. That is the number most extended warranty companies likely work from as that is all they would ever cover in total expenses during the contract. Look at the used book value on motorcycles and see what a now 4 year old RS is worth. It will be less than that original number by some percentage. Ask a dealer what your bike is worth on a trade-in and keep in mind you can buy brand new 2020 RS bikes for $2000 off the list price without any negotiation. I was happy my bike with 93,000 miles was valued at the price it was. A local BMW dealer just sold a brand new 2016 RS, BMW found in the warehouse, for $11,495 using Cycle Trader. Between Cycle Trader, BMW dealers selling bikes and what they feel the used market is I have to believe most extended warranty companies have to be close to the market price or they would not stay in business. Another good way to check what you bike is worth is asked a bank for a loan as you will get a percentage of that value for a loan or ask an insurance company if you crashed and your bike was totaled what the pay off would be. There is 2016 RS with 15,000 miles on Advrider the last 3 plus months for $11,500 OBO with a fair amount of accessories like Nav V, panniers, barbacks, inter pannier bags, 3 windscreens and new tires located in St. Louis area.

The above is strictly my opinion so certainly open to others challenging me or sharing a completely different thought.

By the way I have put on my calendar when the bike reaches the 150,000 mile mark to just put a new drive shaft in it and enjoy the next ride.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some Trips End Early for Mechanical Reasons - by darrell - 11-06-2019, 03:03 PM
RE: Some Trips End Early for Mechanical Reasons - by Olgry1 - 11-27-2019, 07:29 AM