Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BrenTuning for the R12xxRS
I am presently having a nice chat with a dealer for the BrenTuning product for the R12xxRS.

He has a 2015 R1200R with a K&N filter and an SC Project muffler in addition to the BrenTuning tune, and reports significant improvements in fueling and also fuel economy (city especially) with negligible change in highway mileage. Says "Idle is much smoother, it will cruise comfortably at 1500rpm, climb hills at 2000, and the herky jerky low speed throttle is now pool table smooth. Then you give it a handful and the lean spot from 3500-4500 is gone, it smoothly and ferociously pulls to redline like the starship Enterprise."

I also asked him if the engine ran any hotter on average and he says no ... if anything it ran cooler.

Anyone here have any experience with BrenTuning or any other fuel mapping for their LC boxer, especially with a freer intake and exhaust (filter and muffler)? I would be most interested in the downsides as well, such as fuel economy and impacts on longevity of the bike such as due to excess heat.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
I had a Rexxer Tune (similar process to Bren Tuning) on my 2008 1200S a few years back. I told them to tune it for 93 octane fuel, an Akrapovic slip on, an aftermarket air filter and told them about my low speed fueling issue with the bike. Prior to the performance parts and the tune the low speed fuel was "ok" but seemed to be pretty lean. The R1200S was out of warranty.

After the aftermarket parts and the Rexer Tune were installed it was like a different bike. The low speed fueling was much better and the bike was much easier to ride.

In the past I have also had a number of motorcycles tuned with Powercommanders. A number of those bikes were dyno tuned with before and after results. After each tune the driveability, the AFR and power curve were all smoother. I also picked up more horsepower and torque Big Grin

Since those days in the past I have not felt the need to try and improve the low speed fueling on my water cooled BMWs. It seems to me like the fueling while probably not great is pretty good straight from the factory.
(11-27-2019, 04:58 PM)Olgry1 Wrote: I had a Rexxer Tune (similar process to Bren Tuning) on my 2008 1200S a few years back.
Since those days in the past I have not felt the need to try and improve the low speed fueling on my water cooled BMWs. It seems to me like the fueling while probably not great is pretty good straight from the factory.

Thanks for that John. Yes the factory tuning on our RSs is pretty good out of the factory, but I am still interested in tuning this bike. May do that next year if I find some money ...

I recall having a tune put in my B7 Audi A4 2.0T when I had that car. Supposedly pushed the horsepower from the nominal 202 bhp to about 242 bhp at the brank. The performance increase was impressive to say the least, and the fuel economy improved! That was one of my favourite cars, I can tell you.

This bike has great power and hustle for me at the moment, but if I can get more and get better fuel economy, I am not going to argue. Big Grin

Had my wife on the pillion seat on Sunday and managed to haul enough a$$ to blow by 2 HDs and a truck, while chasing a Porsche 911 on the country roads leaving Brazos Bend State Park. The bike amazed me I must say ... first time I ever did that ... almost hit the ton. She told me to slow down afterwards, and I agreed. Told her that I had to pass those guys for safety. Wink

Other than that I ride slow ...
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Passing is always done with safety in mind, lol.
I'm interested in this thread. Definitely heard enough good things about certain tuning results from the other forum. I could see a couple of places in the fueling that could be improved. The slight flat spot mentioned and a little surging at neutral throttle openings.
(11-27-2019, 05:37 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:
(11-27-2019, 04:58 PM)Olgry1 Wrote: I had a Rexxer Tune (similar process to Bren Tuning) on my 2008 1200S a few years back.

Thanks for that John. Yes the factory tuning on our RSs is pretty good out of the factory, but I am still interested in tuning this bike. May do that next year if I find some money ...

I recall having a tune put in my B7 Audi A4 2.0T when I had that car. Supposedly pushed the horsepower from the nominal 202 bhp to about 242 bhp at the brank. The performance increase was impressive to say the least, and the fuel economy improved! That was one of my favourite cars, I can tell you.

This bike has great power and hustle for me at the moment, but if I can get more and get better fuel economy, I am not going to argue. Big Grin

Had my wife on the pillion seat on Sunday and managed to haul enough a$$ to blow by 2 HDs and a truck, while chasing a Porsche 911 on the country roads leaving Brazos Bend State Park. The bike amazed me I must say ... first time I ever did that ... almost hit the ton. She told me to slow down afterwards, and I agreed. Told her that I had to pass those guys for safety. Wink

Other than that I ride slow ...

Thank goodness motorcycle safety continues to improve each year with new technology. Starting with the 1989 BMW K100RS ABS I've bought a number of bikes explaining to my wife how "safe" the new bike is due to the new technology. I did not bother to mention how much faster I could go on those new bikes lol
(11-27-2019, 05:37 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: This bike has great power and hustle for me at the moment, but if I can get more and get better fuel economy, I am not going to argue. Big Grin

It will be interesting to see if they can increase power and also increase fuel economy.
A lot of fueling problems are caused by the factory having the vehicle set very lean.
Some of the tunes I have read about, the fuel is enriched and fuel economy drops some.
For bikes with poor fueling owners were willing to lose a little gas mileage.

The fueling was not that great at low in town speeds on our K1300S.
We rarely rode in town so I never checked into a power commander or a tune.
I didn't want to end up with less range.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
I have been running the Brentuning handheld flash on my 2016 RS for a few months now, and I can say that it has made an improvement in the part throttle jerkiness (Konstant Fahrt Rucheln) issues that I was experiencing with the stock map. I don’t see an appreciable increase in mileage, but it hasn’t shortened the time between fill ups either. As an added bonus, the running temperature has fallen to around 171 degrees, and doesn’t climb any higher than 196. I believe Brentuning has lowered the fan on trigger point at 192. It feels as it has quickened the throttle response, especially off idle for resuming forward motion from stoplights. It certainly surprises some of the sport bike crowd, on how quickly it comes up to speed.. not what they expected from a BMW geezer bike.. lol. I would recommend getting in on the Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal, if possible. I think they are introducing a new handheld over the next few months as well.
So on the BrenTuning website, it just shows the 2010 - 2018 GS application for the 1200LC. Is this the version you're running on your '16?
(11-30-2019, 09:19 PM)Duccrazydave Wrote: So on the BrenTuning website, it just shows the 2010 - 2018 GS application for the 1200LC. Is this the version you're running on your '16?

Yes.. You’ll order the GS handheld, then when you get the e-mail from Brentuning, you’ll cite the specifics of your ride. They will then send out the handheld, along with an e-mail attachment to download their updater application and access code. Upon receipt of the handheld, you’ll get a set of instructions to initialize the unit and download your bikes factory mapping, then you’ll e-mail back your factory map to Brentuning for them to modify to the specs sent on your ride. Then they’ll send back a modified map to store in the handheld, at this time you’ll plug back into your bike and upload the mod flash to your ECU.. pretty simple.
Thanks for the additional info!
Same deal for my 1200r LC. I'm a BrenTuning dealer and am running the sake black friday deal until 12/3 if anyone is interested. I drop ship.direct to you.
Sale has been extended to.12/10 guys!
Thanks Gordy.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS