Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windscreen options
What windscreen are you all sporting on your RS?

The stock screen did not work for me, so I installed a Puig Racing screen. That helped with the buffeting and is fine in warm weather. I'm 6'1" and the racing screen in the low position puts all the wind on my Shoei Neotech when in a normal riding position. In the high position, I can tuck behind the screen to get completely out of the wind on the highway, but can only do that for a little while before my hips start barking at me.

I had a MRA x-creen on my Multistrada and I liked it. It wasn't Gold Wing calm, but good enough to enable day long riding. I know they make one for the RS, but thought I solicit other opinions before plonking down $200 on the MRA.
2016 R1200RS
2017 1090 Adventure R
You may want to look at this video.

Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
As usual, thoughtful contribution from Grumpy.

At 6'3", I'm enjoying my used smoke Aeroflow medium sport. Aeroflow has a bunch of size options. At speed in the winter, inches make a difference. After our single digit spell last week, I'm tempted to go with a touring screen, but I was out yesterday in 60 deg F weather....

I'm quite comfortable with the wind hitting my helmet high on the visor while in neutral position. (Above the helmet when tucked a little, and lower when sitting up with arms more extended.)
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
Thanks for the comments. I actually still had the mra screen from my Multistrada and decided today to try to repurpose it for the RS. After some careful measuring and hole drilling, I have mounted the spoiler onto my Puig racing screen.
I wont have an opportunity to test this home brew solution for a while as I've suspended the RS insurance for the winter.
With the screen mounted in the high position holes, in the up position and the x-creen extended, I can just see over the top. Low position and spoiler collapsed, I have good visibility.
Hoping this $0 upgrade does the trick! [Image: c9a4deba9568b532dcdaa1b9cc0172cb.jpg][Image: 7e99391afe36c3d81576c478253edd62.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
2016 R1200RS
2017 1090 Adventure R
multistraddler Wrote:I actually still had the mra screen from my Multistrada and decided today to mounted the spoiler onto my Puig racing screen.
Nice job on repurposing that spoiler from the MRA screen. Much nicer looking then the laminar lip they sell for the OEM screen.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

I’ve been extremely happy with the wunderlich windscreen on my RS .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(02-28-2021, 08:48 PM)Upinsmoke Wrote: I’ve been extremely happy with the wunderlich windscreen on my RS .

I've only got about 1,000 miles on my wunderlich but wonder if other's have the same experiance--which may or may not be the windscreen. Over about 60 mph I get this weird sort of higher pitched hum, which immediately stops when I turn my Schuberth helmet more than 45 degrees to one side or another. The sound stops instantly when I turn my head, so I'm wondering if it's not how the wind comes off of this windscreen and hits my helmet. The wind protection itself is quite good.
(03-07-2021, 02:42 PM)OerTheHill Wrote: Over about 60 mph I get this weird sort of higher pitched hum, which immediately stops when I turn my Schuberth helmet more than 45 degrees to one side or another. The sound stops instantly when I turn my head, so I'm wondering if it's not how the wind comes off of this windscreen and hits my helmet. The wind protection itself is quite good.

Maybe it is the helmet itself. The projected area of the helmet is different for the frontal projection vs the oblique projection, and at all points in between so I am not at all surprised that you get different sounds when rotating your head. I think that wind coming off the windscreen could be another contributory factor. I also have a naked bike with no to little windscreen and my helmet makes different sounds front to side.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(03-07-2021, 04:32 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:
(03-07-2021, 02:42 PM)OerTheHill Wrote: Over about 60 mph I get this weird sort of higher pitched hum, which immediately stops when I turn my Schuberth helmet more than 45 degrees to one side or another.

Maybe it is the helmet itself. The projected area of the helmet is different for the frontal projection vs the oblique projection, and at all points in between so I am not at all surprised that you get different sounds when rotating your head. I think that wind coming off the windscreen could be another contributory factor. I also have a naked bike with no to little windscreen and my helmet makes different sounds front to side.

The plot thickens! Using a CamRack which attaches to the windscreen, I mounted a GoPro and, for extra power, ran a wire from the camera, up behind the windscreen--over the brace, and to a PowerBank in my tankbag. Not only do I get 8 hours of video shooting but the noise went away! So, yes, I think the specific airflow off of the Wunderlich windscreen, hitting the helmet, was disrupted enough to stop the noise. Need to test more.
By the way, for a second thread, GoPros and camera mounts. The CamRack sold by Wunderlich is a beautifully crafted mount, but if one tries to use the HyperSmooth feature of the GoPro without part of the motorcycle being in frame for reference, really weird things happen to the video!
Adding to this thread--I just bought a Vario spoiler from Wunderlich. It arrived today. I went to fit it..and I have no idea what these two metal flange-y pieces are for, how they mount, and what to do with them:
[Image: 51236980166_a08c4c2bcd_b.jpg]

Also, I've not (yet) loctited the screws down. Wanted to do a short test ride to see how i felt about it.

Any thoughts/opinions/experiences?
(06-09-2021, 07:32 PM)mojoguzzi Wrote: ...Also, I've not (yet) loctited the screws down. Wanted to do a short test ride to see how i felt about it.

(Loctite increases fragility of some screen materials. You might check the fine print on your installation instructions.)
(06-09-2021, 08:57 PM)Ray Wrote:
(06-09-2021, 07:32 PM)mojoguzzi Wrote: ...Also, I've not (yet) loctited the screws down. Wanted to do a short test ride to see how i felt about it.

(Loctite increases fragility of some screen materials. You might check the fine print on your installation instructions.)

they actually sent a small tube of it and have the Loctite as a step in the assembly--note the diagram in the upper right. Weird, huh?
(02-28-2021, 03:29 PM)Ray Wrote: As usual, thoughtful contribution from Grumpy.

At 6'3", I'm enjoying my used smoke Aeroflow medium sport. Aeroflow has a bunch of size options. At speed in the winter, inches make a difference. After our single digit spell last week, I'm tempted to go with a touring screen, but I was out yesterday in 60 deg F weather....

I'm quite comfortable with the wind hitting my helmet high on the visor while in neutral position. (Above the helmet when tucked a little, and lower when sitting up with arms more extended.)

Hi, I'm just poking around, doing some research and came across this thread. Now that you have a season under your belt, how do you feel about the Aeroflow/Med Sport? I'm 6'4", and it's great to see they have a variety of heights. Did you find the medium height good for you, meaning: could you find a relatively quiet space at highway speeds?
KC Area
(11-01-2021, 07:27 PM)ESquared Wrote:
(02-28-2021, 03:29 PM)Ray Wrote: As usual, thoughtful contribution from Grumpy.

Hi, I'm just poking around, doing some research and came across this thread. Now that you have a season under your belt, how do you feel about the Aeroflow/Med Sport? I'm 6'4", and it's great to see they have a variety of heights. Did you find the medium height good for you, meaning: could you find a relatively quiet space at highway speeds?
Perfect height for what I do - In the low position, I take the wind at shoulder level or just above, and in the high position it hits about two-thirds the way up my face shield. If I bend a little forward, the airflow runs over the helmet, I get that quiet space which, never having owned an R bike, I still find disconcerting as I can hear all the mechanical noises from the engine. The tall sport screen in the tall position would probably provide that quiet space in my usual position.

That said:
1. My torso is probably slightly shorter than yours, and I usually bend my arms and lean forward a little more than the average rider; you might want an extra 2 inches for a comparable experience.
2. I'm making an overdue pilgrimage on the bike to California this week. If they are open, I'll stop by Aeroflow and try out a couple more of their screens on the RS. Depending on how cold I get running the mountains in New Mexico on the way out, I might mount a medium touring windscreen with an extra 2.5 inches in height and an extra 4.5 inches in width over my current medium sport screen for the trip back.

I've reposted the numbers below to help my memory.

Aeroflow sport screens:
Screen Overall Length
Stock: 19"
Short: 14 3/8"
Standard: 16 7/16"
Medium: 18 7/16"
Tall: 20 7/16"

Height at center of screen, above top holes
Stock: 8 3/4""
Short: 5 5/16"
Standard: 7 3/8"
Medium: 9 3/8"
Tall: 11 3/8"

Width at widest point *Measured as straight line across back
Stock: 16"
Short: 16 1/8"
Standard: 18 3/4"
Medium: 18 3/4"
Tall: 19"

Width at top of screen *Measured as straight line across back
Stock: 11"
Short: 13 1/2"
Standard: 15 1/2"
Medium: 15 1/2"
Tall: 15 1/2"

Aeroflow touring screens:
Screen Overall Length
Stock: 19"
Standard: 20 1/2"
Medium: 22"
Tall: 23 1/2"

Height at center of screen, above top holes
Stock: 8 3/4"
Standard: 11 7/16
Medium: 12 15/16"
Tall: 14 7/16"

Width at widest point *Measured as straight line across back
Stock: 16"
Standard: 22"
Medium: 22 1/4"
Tall: 22 1/4"

Width at top of screen *Measured as straight line across back
Stock: 11"
All AeroScreen heights: 17 1/2"
(11-01-2021, 08:55 PM)Ray Wrote: Perfect height for what I do - In the low position, I take the wind a shoulder level or just above, and in the high position it hits about two-thirds the way up my face shield. If I bend a little forward, the airflow runs over the helmet, I get that quiet space which, never having owned an R bike, I still find disconcerting as I can hear all the mechanical noises from the engine. The tall sport screen in the tall position would probably provide that quiet space in my usual position.

Wow, that's a treasure trove of data. I really like the look of the sport screen, so please keep us posted if you get a chance to try out some variations (Sport vs. Touring).

Great stuff!

==

Admin - Quoted narrative edited for brevity.
KC Area
(11-01-2021, 08:55 PM)Ray Wrote: ...
2. I'm making an overdue pilgrimage on the bike to California this week. If they are open, I'll stop by Aeroflow and try out a couple more of their screens on the RS.

Ray - If you do get to Aeroflow and test some of their wind screens, please do start a thread on Aeroflow Windscreens and post your experiences. I think that information was invaluable.

A few years ago I was in discussion with the owner about testing a couple of the smaller windscreens (without me buying them first) but that fell through. I always was interested in how they would work.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(11-02-2021, 09:46 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Ray - If you do get to Aeroflow and test some of their wind screens, please do start a thread on Aeroflow Windscreens and post your experiences. I think that information was invaluable.

A few years ago I was in discussion with the owner about testing a couple of the smaller windscreens (without me buying them first) but that fell through. I always was interested in how they would work.

Will do, with the caveat that everyone is different and everyone wants something different from their windscreens. What we really need is a combination of wind-tunnel measurements at different wind speeds and a good ride position simulator, so that after fixing hand, foot, and seat positions, folks can get their windscreen dialed in on the first try.

Have to add - I loved the continuously variable electric wind screen on the FJR I rode a few years ago (about the only thing I liked - well and the electronic suspension). A height to fit almost every mood and environment.
(11-02-2021, 10:32 AM)Ray Wrote: Will do, with the caveat that everyone is different and everyone wants something different from their windscreens. What we really need is a combination of wind-tunnel measurements at different wind speeds and a good ride position simulator, so that after fixing hand, foot, and seat positions, folks can get their windscreen dialed in on the first try.

Could not agree more.

The only thing I can say regarding windscreen issues is that the best windscreen, especially for those living in warmer climes, is no windscreen.

Learned that much from the first naked I ever rode and confirmed it on the first naked I ever bought. However if one has to ride long distance as we do, then that can be a problem. The solution would be to have a windscreen that can adjust through a foot or more of height change, starting from just slightly above the dash, and then extending up to just below eye level of a "normal" or "average" height person, so that you get the best of both worlds. Of course the aesthetics of such a windscreen especially when in the lowest position would be amusing at best.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Ray can confirm this but I believe the AeroFlow brand is the one that uses the upper mounting arm top holes and bottom mounting arm lower holes which means it can move up and down with arms but not be mounted in the top or bottom sets of holes.

For someone like Wayne or myself who use the Vortex GPS relocation bracket it prevents installing an AeroFlow wind screen.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

(11-02-2021, 11:20 AM)darrell Wrote: Ray can confirm this but I believe the AeroFlow brand is the one that uses the upper mounting arm top holes and bottom mounting arm lower holes which means it can move up and down with arms but not be mounted in the top or bottom sets of holes.

For someone like Wayne or myself who use the Vortex GPS relocation bracket it prevents installing an AeroFlow wind screen.

Yup.

For better structural integrity our larger Sport and Touring​ AeroScreens attach to the brackets using only the top and bottom pair of bracket mounting holes. This still allows the AeroScreens to be adjusted Up and Down with the stock adjusting mechanism's approximately 3" of lift from the low to high positions.

Not sure that's true for their short or standard (stock height) screens, but it's true for my medium sport screen.