Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arkansas?
So I suddenly have a free week starting this Saturday. We had a trip planned that we had to cancel.  

Actually not a whole week, Joanne's bday is Thursday. Probably need to be home for that.

Looks like rain west (Colorado) so I'm thinking Arkansas again. Would anyone have recommendations other than Eureka? Although rooms are available at the Eidelweiss and that certainly wouldn't be a bad choice.
Eureka area is the only place I've stayed, twice in Eureka, once in Harrison.
Hot Springs maybe?
Almost certainly a solo trip.
Any thoughts?

From central TX (Waco area).
2022 BMW R1250 GSA
2021 KTM 890 Duke R (Round two)

1985 Honda Nighthawk S
1985 Yamaha RZ350  
(08-18-2022, 04:43 AM)Liteitup Wrote: So I suddenly have a free week starting this Saturday. We had a trip planned that we had to cancel.  

Actually not a whole week, Joanne's bday is Thursday. Probably need to be home for that.

Looks like rain west (Colorado) so I'm thinking Arkansas again. Would anyone have recommendations other than Eureka?

Funny you should ask. My boss has a cabin in Mountain View AR and he invited me up this weekend and one of the draws is the Mountains, Music & Motorcycles Rally this weekend. Ride Texas has this to say about it. It is 8hr / 509 miles away.

According to him it is a good time, although likely to be cruiser biased, for which I have little to zero interest. Apparently there is great riding in the area also.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
(08-18-2022, 06:47 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Funny you should ask. My boss has a cabin in Mountain View AR and he invited me up this weekend and one of the draws is the Mountains, Music & Motorcycles Rally this weekend. Ride Texas has this to say about it. It is 8hr / 509 miles away.

According to him it is a good time, although likely to be cruiser biased, for which I have little to zero interest. Apparently there is great riding in the area also.

Thanks, probably not my scene either.
Keep em coming.
2022 BMW R1250 GSA

1985 Honda Nighthawk S
1985 Yamaha RZ350  
Looking at national weather maps (for whatever they're worth) , it looks like Eureka Springs and north may be the best choice. I hear Missouri is really nice....
2022 BMW R1250 GSA

1985 Honda Nighthawk S
1985 Yamaha RZ350  
(08-18-2022, 07:38 AM)Liteitup Wrote: Looking at national weather maps (for whatever they're worth) , it looks like Eureka Springs and north may be the best choice. I hear Missouri is really nice....

What about staying in Texas and visiting the Big Bend area?
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(08-18-2022, 11:17 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: What about staying in Texas and visiting the Big Bend area?

Have to admit, Big Bend in August never occurred to me. Weather actually looks decent, hmmm.
2022 BMW R1250 GSA

1985 Honda Nighthawk S
1985 Yamaha RZ350  
Look up Queen Wilhelmina State Park near Mena AR, there used to be a lodge up there (at some elevation, around 2000 ft), it's a great place to stay.

Mena to Ozark - good road
Mena to Russelville - good road
Mena to Hot Springs - good road
Tallamenah Parkway (I am sure I have the spelling wrong) west of Queen Wihelmena is great.

If you go further east, like to Little Rock and Pine Bluff, the roads become average
2020 R1250 RS
2022 K1600 GT
2022 Kawasaki H2SXSE
Niwot CO USA
(08-18-2022, 02:25 PM)runnerhiker Wrote: Look up Queen Wilhelmina State Park near Mena AR, there used to be a lodge up there (at some elevation, around 2000 ft), it's a great place to stay.

Mena to Ozark - good road
Mena to Russelville - good road
Mena to Hot Springs - good road
Tallamenah Parkway (I am sure I have the spelling wrong) west of Queen Wihelmena is great.

If you go further east, like to Little Rock and Pine Bluff, the roads become average

I second that ... good riding in that area and nice scenery. I ate at that lodge a few maybe 3 years back and it was a very nice place with great views. Have a couple of videos on my channel of the area.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Thanks everyone, leave in the morning. NW Arkansas/Missouri without a real plan. I even recruited a couple of my riding buds to go along. Return Wednesday or earlyish Thursday(Joanne's bday). We're just gonna play it by ear and head for the clearest skies/best roads combination.

Thanks again.
2022 BMW R1250 GSA

1985 Honda Nighthawk S
1985 Yamaha RZ350  
(08-19-2022, 07:37 AM)Liteitup Wrote: Thanks everyone, leave in the morning. NW Arkansas/Missouri without a real plan. I even recruited a couple of my riding buds to go along. Return Wednesday or earlyish Thursday(Joanne's bday). We're just gonna play it by ear and head for the clearest skies/best roads combination.

Thanks again.

A direction, a few friends, and no expectations. 

Sounds like the recipe for a perfect trip.
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
(08-19-2022, 07:37 AM)Liteitup Wrote: Thanks everyone, leave in the morning. NW Arkansas/Missouri without a real plan. I even recruited a couple of my riding buds to go along. Return Wednesday or earlyish Thursday(Joanne's bday). We're just gonna play it by ear and head for the clearest skies/best roads combination.

Thanks again.

Have a great trip. Update the thread with how it turned out. Photos would be nice.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
I love riding in the Ozarks. As Grump said, let us know how it goes! I'm partial to the Buffalo River area. The town of Hardy, AR, is cute if you're that far northeast. Have you been to Blanchard Springs Cavern? Very cool. It's near Mountain View.
Carlton-Marion in Yellville is a good place to stay. Stayed there 2 times. Close to the popular Push Mt. Road.
As mentioned above the Lodge at Queen Whilhelmina is a nice place to spend a night. Not a good place to headquarter out of because you can get stuck in place by low clouds.
A cheap place down the mountain in Mena is the Ozark Inn. Stayed there 2 times in April. Think it was $60.
Last year we looked at Pinewood Cabins in Mountain View. Looked like a nice property.
Not cheap, but a nice place and a perfect location is the Jasper Getaway. Great roads in any direction out of Jasper.
We're on the road now and can't easily add websites or pibctures.

Nice back roads in SE Missouri. We'll be in that area tomorrow.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2, 2011 K1300S x 2, 2003 K1200RS x 2, 1991 K75S x 2, 1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT