Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RS vs GS review
Not much of a review really but it might get people taking a second look at the RS.

https://youtu.be/Yo9R2VmAkrk
(03-25-2023, 12:53 PM)trudd Wrote: Not much of a review really but it might get people taking a second look at the RS.

https://youtu.be/Yo9R2VmAkrk

Or might help solidify their choice of the GS ... he kept saying how good the RS was but he wouldn't buy one ...  Dodgy  Still it is not a bad video and one of the few that compares the GS and the RS. At the end of the day I am just glad that this is another video involving the RS, even if in his opinion and for him, it comes in a close second.

As he says it all depends on how you use the bike. I notice he mentioned the Tracer at the end, and I can tell you, as much as I like the RS, the Tracer is a better commuter. It is also quite a competent long-distance bike as well, and aside from the better offroad chops of the GS, the Tracer is probably better otherwise.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
I had a 2013 GS, the RS did not exists yet, and then I bought a 2016 RS as soon as they came out. After about a year of owning both, I clearly liked the RS better and I got rid of the GS.

I liked the appearance of the RS better, I liked the ergonomics of the RS better. I didn't notice any difference in the feel of the front suspension so no advantage to the paralever (mono lever?) of the GS. I only rode the GS on paved roads so the 19" front tire was a disadvantage for finding tires.

I also had a Tracer GT which was ok but the engine was not strong enough for my liking so I traded it in on a S1000XR.
2020 R1250 RS
2022 K1600 GT
2022 Kawasaki H2SXSE
Niwot CO USA
(03-27-2023, 08:18 PM)runnerhiker Wrote: I had a 2013 GS, the RS did not exists yet, and then I bought a 2016 RS as soon as they came out.  After about a year of owning both, I clearly liked the RS better and I got rid of the GS.

I liked the appearance of the RS better, I liked the ergonomics of the RS better.  I didn't notice any difference in the feel of the front suspension so no advantage to the paralever (mono lever?) of the GS.  I only rode the GS on paved roads so the 19" front tire was a disadvantage for finding tires.

I also had a Tracer GT which was ok but the engine was not strong enough for my liking so I traded it in on a S1000XR.

Ron, you and I are very similar when it comes to bike as you know, and your points above mirror my feelings. Smile

I have ridden GSs now a couple of times and in both cases I was slightly underwhelmed regarding handling. Mind you, I only experienced riding them on the road. I did like the spaciousness compared to the RS but otherwise, I could not care less for the handling ... it was OK but not as rewarding as the RS and certainly nowhere close to the Tracer or the S1000XR. That said, to me, the GS makes the most sense if you have to have one bike and you like to go offroad occasionally.

I find the Tracer to actually be a great bike ... good power and torque for me, great long-distance traveler and good fuel economy from an excellent powertrain. Handles very nicely too. But it does not really have any off-road capabilities. It has grown on me and when the 2024 model hits the showrooms here I would have some hard decisions to make, since the powertrain is improved over the model I have.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro