Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Tires Being Installed on the RS
Dropped the RS off at the dealer today for a major service and new tires. Dealer usually gives me a loaner bike to ride home after dropping mine off.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

Seriously???? Roadsmart 4???? I just bought the 3 and haven't even got them installed yet. Bummer.
(08-11-2020, 08:22 PM)BobAintStoppin Wrote: Seriously???? Roadsmart 4???? I just bought the 3 and haven't even got them installed yet. Bummer.

Same here ... front one anyway. Next set will be the RS IV. By then Revzilla and all other US retailers will have them. Darrell is special to Dunlop ... Big Grin
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
New Roadsmart IV, big thumbs up. I just got a new set of Roadsmart III for my XR, one interesting point, the chicken strips on the Dunlops are already much smaller at only 500 miles, compared to the OEM Bridgestones after 6k miles. Dunlop rocks.
2020 R1250 RS
2022 K1600 GT
2022 Kawasaki H2SXSE
Niwot CO USA
That RS has been at Moon for a long time. Looks like a swayback horse with that low/low seat.
I ride '19 R1250GSA, '23 KTM Duke 890 R, '23 Yamaha Xmax 300
My wife rides '20 R1250GS, '22 KTM Duke 890 GP, '19 Yamaha Xmax 300
Formerly proud Granite Gray '16 R1200RS x2 owners
Interesting. What are the upgrades over the Roadsmart 3?
"Looks like a swayback horse with that low/low seat."
Feels like one too! The first RS I took for a demo ride was equipped this way. While the engine characteristic was evident form that short ride, I determined that it just didn't fit me at all. It wasn't until later, when I rode an RS, with a standard high seat (I eventually purchased) that everything, ergonomically, made sense.
Dunlop brings the smart tires "SPORTMAX ROAD SMART IV" - Adrenaline Culture of Motorcycle and Speed
This spring, a new generation sports touring tire “SPORTMAX ROAD SMART IV” will debut from Dunlop this spring.

The first Road Smart appeared in 2007. As a full-fledged touring radial tire with the best technology at the time, it has widespread penetration from large naked to ground tourers.

The Road Smart IV is released in 2020, the milestone of Dunlop’s 110th anniversary. Dunlop tires have returned to the starting point of “joy of operating a motorcycle,”.

As well as improving the necessary performance required for touring tires such as wet grip and life.

Pursue a fan ride with four “continued performances.”

The development company has seta policy of “creating a new standard for touring tires. And has set “four” continuous performance “as a keyword for realizing it.

The first is “excitement continues.” An exciting ride with handling optimized by CTT technology. CTT (Camber Thrust Tuning Technology) profiles optimization.

Specifically, the front is sharp, and the increase i. the rear diameter to improve roll responsiveness. And to turn force from the front.

The second is “feeling will continue,” to keep the rider tired. And uncomfortable traveling due to the excellent shock absorption by the advanced fatigue reduction technology “CIPT.”

Specifically, the tread surface absorbs small gaps on the road surface .And the large tire bumps, such as steps, are incorporated by flexing the entire tire, including the side surfaces, improving ride comfort.

The Tires

New technologies such as the “Aramid JLB” belt material used for the front . And the “IPT profile” with an improved rear carcass line is utilized.

Actually, on the public road and the test course. It is said that the fatigue level is measured in the presence of universities and research institutions.

However, the fatigue and stress level is significantly reduced .Compared to the conventional model Road Smart III, and the fatigue reduction by Road Smart IV. The effect is scientifically proven.

The third is “Running continues,” with the “HI SILICA X Compound,”. Further improving wet grip and life and improving wear resistance.

Mainly by increasing the silica filling ratio in the compound of the front and rear tires to 150% compared to the conventional .Not only warm-up and dry grip but also wet grip. (10% improvement during braking) and life (23% front, 26% rear) Improvement).

The fourth feature, “Performance continues,” uses a new PCL. And uneven wear suppression pattern to improve the unbalanced wear resistance of the front while increasing the durability of the rear.

Keeps the drainage property, but also enhances the uneven wear resistance.Which is popular in III by strengthening the tread rigidity by “smaller grooves.”

Introducing “GT spec” for heavy-duty machines

The topic this time is the addition of a new “GT Spec” for heavy vehicles such as grand tourers with panniers. The difference from the standard specification is mainly the internal structure.

Adopting a highly rigid “2 CUT breaker” at the front . Strengthening the frame by taking a 2-ply construction at the rear carcass .Improving handling, and loading stability in heavyweight machines.

The Road Smart IV, which all Dunlop developers, who are active riders, say, is a self-confidence work without compromising. We can say that the birth of a new standard pursuing the ideal of touring tires
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

Darn, on the back tire it looks like they moved the the deep groove away from the center. This makes it hard for a touring rider to see how much tire is remaining at the center.
Here's a picture of a 3 showing the deep groove at the center.

Here's the 4

Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2,  2011 K1300S x 2,  2003 K1200RS x 2,  1991 K75S x 2,  1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
I also bought new RS3s a couple of months ago that are waiting to be installed.
Lee,

Did you notice that Darrell color matched the towel with his bike? He's bringing an "A" game to the Shop Towel Competition.

Relative to tires, I'm 4,000-miles into a set of PR5s. In another 4,000-miles, I'll have a complete opinion.
I knocked, but the door was open.......
Central PA: 2016 Lupin RS - Keys and no TPMS
(08-12-2020, 11:41 AM)36654 Wrote: Lee,

Did you notice that Darrell color matched the towel with his bike?

Lupin owners have good taste Smile
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2,  2011 K1300S x 2,  2003 K1200RS x 2,  1991 K75S x 2,  1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
Darrell, If you need a volunteer to try out the handle characteristics of the new Dunlop Road Smart IV on the curves I would reluctantly volunteer to oblige you. Big Grin Big Grin
(08-12-2020, 11:41 AM)36654 Wrote: Did you notice that Darrell color matched the towel with his bike? He's bringing an "A" game to the Shop Towel Competition.

Smile
You are getting to know Darrell. Most of us would have only commented had the towel NOT matched the color scheme (or if the straps were twisted, or the tires sat a little wonky). (See next post).

My bike goes in for similar service tomorrow. If any good, I'll post a photo of my loaner.

Though more stale than Darrell's find from his consulting work for Dunlop (freebies? - if so, it's OK; you work hard for what you get, and we're not jealous...), I'm back to the Metzler R01s with regular front and 2-ply "heavy weight" (HWM) rear. I didn't go with the SEs because, although Metzler has an internal part number for it, they never produced the rear 2-ply version - and I really liked the feel I have had with that tire when fully loaded up and breaking free a little in corners.

(Interestingly, no IPN for an HWM front SE, so maybe they'll run a few through next year for RS riders.)
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
Provoked by a comment from Bravo, Darell checks to make sure that our line of bikes is even....
[Image: 1d36d5d971bc631e12ec95655d44e71e.jpg][Image: 947ae4bdf89be52c4ea5154607eaf02b.jpg]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
With the comments so far I’m so happy I did not post the other photos as I delivered this precious cargo as Bruce calls it round, rubber and black (he says rebates). Hauling something this special on the best color bike BMW has ever produced required a couple minutes of thought. I wore my Sunday best color matched (blue and gray) riding suit, white gloves, black boots and blue and white helmet. Of course the shop towel was washed properly before using to protect the seat, tires and my riding gear. Black straps were chosen over the white ones my bike was delivered with as I did not want to dirty the white ones. You will also observe there is one tire information sticker shown on the left side and the other one is identical to the right. This allowed me to ride up alongside (usually they are passing me) a vehicle or motorcycle so they could take a photo of the sticker and get their own. You all of course just logged on and there it was. Great marketing move, wasn’t it? And as far as lining those bikes up properly if you going be part of this spirited group of RS owners things must looked organized even if they usually aren’t. Offers to ride my bike and use those tire sections on the outer edges I never use will be considered.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

Wink 
(08-12-2020, 06:01 PM)darrell Wrote: With the comments so far I’m so happy I did not post the other photos as I delivered this precious cargo as Bruce calls it round, rubber and black (he says rebates). Hauling something this special on the best color bike BMW has ever produced required a couple minutes of thought. I wore my Sunday best color matched (blue and gray) riding suit, white gloves, black boots and blue and white helmet. Of course the shop towel was washed properly before using to protect the seat, tires and my riding gear. Black straps were chosen over the white ones my bike was delivered with as I did not want to dirty the white ones. You will also observe there is one tire information sticker shown on the left side and the other one is identical to the right. This allowed me to ride up alongside (usually they are passing me) a vehicle or motorcycle so they could take a photo of the sticker and get their own. You all of course just logged on and there it was. Great marketing move, wasn’t it? And as far as lining those bikes up properly if you going be part of this spirited group of RS owners things must looked organized even if they usually aren’t. Offers to ride my bike and use those tire sections on the outer edges I never use will be considered.
Rolleyes
Thanks. You do have an unusually good sense of aesthetics for a farm boy, and you know how to use it to bring out the best in folks.

(Of course, I am reminded that on a subsequent trip, we were not even able to simultaneously get all the bikes into the same parking lot - let alone lined up - for a follow-up photo. Which raises another rule - if you cannot do it right..., then don't.)
(08-12-2020, 06:01 PM)darrell Wrote: With the comments so far I’m so happy I did not post the other photos as I delivered this precious cargo as Bruce calls it round, rubber and black (he says rebates). Hauling something this special on the best color bike BMW has ever produced required a couple minutes of thought. I wore my Sunday best color matched (blue and gray) riding suit, white gloves, black boots and blue and white helmet. Of course the shop towel was washed properly before using to protect the seat, tires and my riding gear. Black straps were chosen over the white ones my bike was delivered with as I did not want to dirty the white ones. You will also observe there is one tire information sticker shown on the left side and the other one is identical to the right. This allowed me to ride up alongside (usually they are passing me) a vehicle or motorcycle so they could take a photo of the sticker and get their own. You all of course just logged on and there it was. Great marketing move, wasn’t it? And as far as lining those bikes up properly if you going be part of this spirited group of RS owners things must looked organized even if they usually aren’t. Offers to ride my bike and use those tire sections on the outer edges I never use will be considered.

Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Since you hauled in the tires I take it you purchased online. Will you be able to use the tire rebate, or was this another free set from Dunlap?
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Great hanging out at the dealership. With SARS-CoV-2 keeping us company, it wasn't quite the barbershop feel I'm used to.

Usually I demo extremes like GTs or R noneT. Today I got the 1250.... So far, the TFT has been the most impressive upgrade, though if I play with it much more, I'll wreck. Agree with all. Makes the NAV less important.

Without earplugs, easy to hear and feel the shift cam kicking in, but probably only because I was listening for it.

And I found a bit of nostalgia - photo below - but not for me. Can't say I ever saw motorcycle art like this outside the museums.

[Image: aeeabe940338a1b5aaa8eb545fb56fa0.jpg][Image: 303116669cea0013f8280c1c779a256a.jpg]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
(08-13-2020, 08:01 AM)Lee Wrote: Since you hauled in the tires I take it you purchased online. Will you be able to use the tire rebate, or was this another free set from Dunlap?
To be eligible for the rebate one must purchase the tires from a Dunlop Pro dealer. Also I notice the Roadsmart IV is not one of the listed tires. I got these off the side door of a FedEx truck and have not seen an invoice yet.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT