Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Tires Being Installed on the RS
(10-04-2020, 12:52 PM)darrell Wrote: I had zero to do with this two-tier marketing approach but I’m happy to see they are willing to offer both the higher performance RS IV tire and continue to offer the original RS III version. I’ve used the RS IV over 9000 miles so far and still have some miles left on it. With the improved handling, additional mileage and costs associated with changing tires it will be interesting if riders just go with the lower priced tire and not consider the other factors.
(10-04-2020, 02:08 PM)Lee Wrote: For me the mileage does not seem to be much better than the Roadsmart 3 or PR4.
Most of the time we do not get to use the last 1,000 or 2,000 miles out of a tire because we don't ride locally.
I won't know about the handling until I try a set.
For our next set I may go with the Roadsmart 3 because it will save us $200 to $250.
I have not checked with the guy we buy tires from but I'm guessing $190 a set after rebate.

Right - Darrell - I wasn't thanking you for the two-tier marketing, but for the improvements made in the tire and your comments about support of our local dealers.

That the price of the RS IV is now in the Metzler Roadtec range suggests that Dunlop has spent a little more in manufacturing this tire than the RS3.

In the context of more expensive rubber, you seem to be getting better mileage, and I believe Dunlop claims 25% increase in mileage over the RS3...., which of course is not sufficient reason for Lee to spend 100% more for the RS4s.

Reminds me to reiterate my old belief that a good rider can ride any tire to within 90% of max; Bruce's belief in the 3 Rs should sit in the back of our mind.
"A good man always knows his limitations...."
There are a lot of things I like about the RS 3s.

The thing I like most is the fact that they maintain their profile with minimal cupping better than the other tires I've had over the past few years (Angel GTs and GTIIs, Metzler 01s, Michelin Pilot Road IVs and Road Vs and a Bridegstone ?).
As a result I find the RS IIIs handling (especially in the curves) is more consistent than other tires.

The wet weather handling of the RS 3s was ok but I preferred the wet weather handling of the Angel GT line, Metzler 01s and Pilot Road 4 and 5s more.

I bought and had Road V GTs installed for just before Gunnison. If the RS IVs would have been available I would have had them installed given the advertised improvement in wet weather handling.
Well I got the RS4s swapped on this weekend. I was going to go riding instead, but the mid west weather being mid west weather suddenly changed from sunny and 60's to 50 and rain showers in my area. Hopefully I'll get out this afternoon and scuff them in. The only real problem I had was getting the rear Metzler Z8 off the rim. The No-mar mount demount tip was really difficult to get engaged under the second bead (first one came off fine). The lack of "drop center" in these wheels makes it a real PITA! I screwed with it for about an hour before I had to walk away and get some lunch. If I'd had a sawzall at that point that Metzler would have looked like Freddy Kruger, Michel Myers, Jason and the Texas chainsaw boys had gotten together for a party with it on a dark, desolate ranch. Tongue Went after it again after lunch and got the tip to engage came off no problem after that. Oh well all a technique learning experience on the No-mar.
Chris
(10-05-2020, 08:26 AM)Chris216 Wrote: ... The lack of "drop center" in these wheels makes it a real PITA! I screwed with it for about an hour before I had to walk away and get some lunch. ...

That was my experience also.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
(10-03-2020, 06:46 PM)mspratz Wrote: If you go to the Dunlop Motorcycle Tires website and search by bike for the R1200RS, you get RoadSmart III or Sportmax Q3+. If you then choose Browse Tires from the menu and select RoadSmart IV, you get a big red message that says "These tires do not fit your bike, BMW R1200RS".
Thanks Micheal, I have informed my contacts at Dunlop about the RS and Roadsmart IV.
[/quote]This has been corrected on the Dunlop site now when you selected the RS IV.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

(10-05-2020, 10:09 AM)darrell Wrote: This has been corrected on the Dunlop site now when you selected the RS IV.

Not only that but it is now the "Recommended" tire, whereas the RSIII is an "Optional Tire"
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Just got back from a quick ride to scuff in the tires. Unfortunately on one of my favorite (usually deserted) backroads in Arkansas where I had intended to get the sides scuffed I came to the twisty bits and there was the flag man and road crew reasphalting the whole road. So I've still got some pretty good chicken strips LOL. Initial impressions are good, the bike steers lighter and "wants" to turn in now instead of having to work a little to get it turned in. The side walls also seem to be more compliant giving a smoother ride on small road imperfections. Overall I like them a lot more than the Metzlers.
Chris
(10-05-2020, 12:40 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 10:09 AM)darrell Wrote: This has been corrected on the Dunlop site now when you selected the RS IV.

Not only that but it is now the "Recommended" tire, whereas the RSIII is an "Optional Tire"
Good way for them to bring the RS IV to the top of the list.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

(10-05-2020, 12:49 PM)Chris216 Wrote: Just got back from a quick ride to scuff in the tires. Unfortunately on one of my favorite (usually deserted) backroads in Arkansas where I had intended to get the sides scuffed I came to the twisty bits and there was the flag man and road crew reasphalting the whole road. So I've still got some pretty good chicken strips LOL. Initial impressions are good, the bike steers lighter and "wants" to turn in now instead of having to work a little to get it turned in. The side walls also seem to be more compliant giving a smoother ride on small road imperfections. Overall I like them a lot more than the Metzlers.
Chris
Your initial brief ride was exactly what I experienced immediately and still experience with over 9000 miles on the tires.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

Nice, I'm glad to hear it lasts through the life of the tire.

Chris
(10-05-2020, 01:10 PM)darrell Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 12:40 PM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:
Good way for them to bring the RS IV to the top of the list.
Furthermore, the Sportmax Q3+ has now disappeared from the list of compatible tires for the R1200RS. I wonder why?
I was just thinking to myself "man, we motorcyclists do spend a lot of time fussing about which tires we have on our bikes and which ones we should try next time", and then I answered myself "that's because the tires are the second most important piece of safety equipment on a motorcycle, second only to the nut that holds the handlebars!"
(10-05-2020, 05:21 PM)mspratz Wrote: second only to the nut that holds the handlebars!"

I keep getting recall letters for the handlebar nut Smile
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2,  2011 K1300S x 2,  2003 K1200RS x 2,  1991 K75S x 2,  1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(10-05-2020, 05:49 PM)Lee Wrote: I keep getting recall letters for the handlebar nut Smile
Yeah, me too. My wife is always re-calling me all kinds of names.Big Grin
(10-05-2020, 08:26 AM)Chris216 Wrote: Well I got the RS4s swapped on this weekend. I was going to go riding instead, but the mid west weather being mid west weather suddenly changed from sunny and 60's to 50 and rain showers in my area. Hopefully I'll get out this afternoon and scuff them in. The only real problem I had was getting the rear Metzler Z8 off the rim. The No-mar mount demount tip was really difficult to get engaged under the second bead (first one came off fine). The lack of "drop center" in these wheels makes it a real PITA! I screwed with it for about an hour before I had to walk away and get some lunch. If I'd had a sawzall at that point that Metzler would have looked like Freddy Kruger, Michel Myers, Jason and the Texas chainsaw boys had gotten together for a party with it on a dark, desolate ranch. Tongue Went after it again after lunch and got the tip to engage came off no problem after that. Oh well all a technique learning experience on the No-mar.
Chris

Technique is indeed everything with the NoMar. The lube (made from the mounting paste) is your friend on the dismounts. My tire changes are far enough apart that I keep the changing guide hanging on the wall behind the changer.
Toughest change was the off brand rear tire on my brothers ZX14. I think the bead was glued to the rim![Image: 2fe5ad8febe139e2f8c7fc292b7c7efe.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just ordered the Roadsmart IV from my local shop today. $336
Sounds like a pretty good dealBig GrinChris
(10-08-2020, 07:41 PM)Duccrazydave Wrote: Just ordered the Roadsmart IV from my local shop today. $336
Does that include installation Dave?
Installing the tires myself, Mike. That price is after tax. Only took a day to arrive from the local warehouse.
Max Speed is a shop that represents PRE track days and does quite a bit of chassis work and dyno tuning for racers/enthusiasts in my area. Been dealing with them for years.
But until now, had never purchased tires from them. [Image: 6436e4f25999aa4f330cff66e4ade912.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(10-09-2020, 07:24 PM)Duccrazydave Wrote: Installing the tires myself, Mike. That price is after tax.

Good price and you can get the $40 rebate.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2,  2011 K1300S x 2,  2003 K1200RS x 2,  1991 K75S x 2,  1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT