Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New phone mount accessory from BMW
I ordered a ConnectRide Cradle from Sierra BMW - should hopefully have it by the end of the month. My R1200RS has the factory Navi-Ready install and mount, but I'm looking into options to relocate above the dash. The MotoMate option looks decent and the Wunderlich seems ideal but most expensive. I might just go with the stock tank option for now though, once the cradle arrives.

I don't love the limitations - that it only works with the BMW app which uses TomTom navigation. I'd prefer to be able to use other apps with the wheel as a controller, but at the minimum it's a wireless charging phone mount that locks to the bike which is what I'm looking for. I like that it cradles the phone offering more protection from the sun and overheating compared with a basic RAM mount. Wireless charging is a big plus and the fact that it all cleanly connects with factory hardware is a big plus over 3rd party holders. I'm looking forward to accessing the trip computer and diagnostic info from the app as well.

I have a solution for the perennial OIS camera death problem. Camera modules only really seem to take damage when the camera is powered on and in use while mounted on a motorcycle. The optical image stabilization system (OIS) used by modern smartphones are active systems; they float a lens and hold in place using precise mechanisms, which are sensitive to vibration. If the camera is not opened, with rare exception, no damage will occur to the OIS modules; when they are not in use,the floating objective is free to move around and vibrations will not cause damage.

Apple should work with BMW so that when the phone is paired with a cradle AND placed in that cradle (known via the Qi charging) any cameras with OIS are disabled and unusable. This protects the sensitive OIS parts from damage and accidental activation of the camera.

For example, you're in Neutral stopped at a gas station but the engine is running. You get a snapchat notification which you tap to open on the screen. When snapchat opens, it automatically starts your camera, which would power up the OIS system and could result in immediate and irreversible damage from the vibration. With this update, the camera is disabled by the operating system, so the snapchat API call goes unanswered and the camera remains powered down and safe from vibration damage. In another case, everything is the same except this time you remove the phone from the cradle and then check the notifications. Even though the device is still paired with the cradle, since the Qi charger is now out of range, the operating system knows it's now safe to enable the camera, and snapchat functions as expected.

The major advantage with this pairing, is that BMW and Apple could announce official support which would further boost BMW sales, and Apple loyalty among riders. There is precedent for this partnership as well. BMW was one of the first auto manufacturers to integrate with iPod and iPhone thru those horrible pre-lightning connectors. I'd imagine an exclusive partnership for at least the first year if not more, before Apple would start certifying more cradles; and all certified cradles would behave similarly, in that they would require BT and Qi charging to disable the OIS cameras. BMW will be able to expand it's ConnectRide app functionality, and I could see a form of CarPlay being developed specifically for motorcycles.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New phone mount accessory from BMW - by Lee - 11-19-2021, 07:56 AM
RE: New phone mount accessory from BMW - by Lee - 11-19-2021, 01:29 PM
RE: New phone mount accessory from BMW - by Lee - 11-20-2021, 09:14 AM
RE: New phone mount accessory from BMW - by Lee - 11-20-2021, 09:45 AM
RE: New phone mount accessory from BMW - by Lee - 11-20-2021, 03:56 PM
RE: New phone mount accessory from BMW - by Lee - 11-20-2021, 04:57 PM
RE: New phone mount accessory from BMW - by Lee - 11-21-2021, 12:50 PM
RE: New phone mount accessory from BMW - by trudd - 11-21-2021, 09:08 AM
RE: New phone mount accessory from BMW - by Lee - 11-21-2021, 12:47 PM
RE: New phone mount accessory from BMW - by trudd - 11-21-2021, 01:24 PM
RE: New phone mount accessory from BMW - by SoCalR1200RS - 06-08-2022, 01:20 PM