Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keyless Ride fuel cap release failed today
So, we're here in Southwest VA for a week of riding and at my fuel fill up this morning...no fuel cap release. Attempted multiple times and then just used the emergency release process to open and close the cap. Did the day of riding and on my return to the motel I called my dealer and they immediately told me that they'd order a new cap and install it on my return home next week. No questions about it at all. Glad I have that BMW extended warranty.
Happiness comes not from what you have, but from enjoying all that you do have no matter how much or little that may be.
What is this emergency release process? Some of us don’t have any warranty but we have keyless. I know how to solve the problem but it involves disassembly. Is that what you’re talking about?
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Yes, you remove the two screws holding down a short piece at the front of the cap and then the cap is free to open. To close the cap simply hold the cap closed, place the short metal section you removed earlier and reinstall the two screws. It's a PITA but does permit access to the filler neck until you can get a replacement. I know some folks on other forums have described lubricating the mechanism with some success. Mine was a sudden and complete failure without warning or any improvement via lubricating it.
Happiness comes not from what you have, but from enjoying all that you do have no matter how much or little that may be.
(05-17-2023, 06:06 PM)Motorhead1977 Wrote: Yes, you remove the two screws holding down a short piece at the front of the cap and then the cap is free to open. To close the cap simply hold the cap closed, place the short metal section you removed earlier and reinstall the two screws. 

Ahhh ... OK thanks for confirming what I knew to be the procedure. Knock on wood I have never had any issues with mine so far in the 60k miles on the bike.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
An RS riding buddy was having the same problem a while back. A little squirt of WD40 on each side of the cap/latch and some exercising has solved it, so far.

\Frank
'23 R1250RS, 8000 mi. 1 yr.
'03 R1100S BCR #6/200
'85 K100/1100RS- 38 yrs. 331,000 mi.
'17R1200RS- 51,054 mi. (gone)
'16 R1200RS- 28,322 mi. (gone)
'11 R1200RT-30,000 mi. (gone)
'05 R1200ST-58,000 mi. (gone)
'96 Ducati 900SS/SP-89,000 mi. (gone)
'99 R1100S-15,000 mi. (gone)
560K+ BMW miles
(05-18-2023, 05:53 AM)Duckbubbles Wrote: An RS riding buddy was having the same problem a while back.  A little squirt of WD40 on each side of the cap/latch and some exercising has solved it, so far.

\Frank

I seem to recall doing something like that years back, if I'm honest, but that was it. That said, if I were to lube this again I think I'd use my graphite lube.

I don't regret for one instant, having keyless especially having bikes with keys which, on more than one occasion, I have walked away from with the key still in the ignition, not to mention faffing about with a key at the gas pump.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Good to hear the dealer will replace the cap no questions asked.
I carry a 2.5 oz can of 3-in-One Lock Dry Lube on trips.
Even with all the trouble Debbie had with her 2016 gas cap on a couple trips she still likes keyless.
If it would have been possible to delete keyless from my bike when ordering I probably would have done it.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2,  2011 K1300S x 2,  2003 K1200RS x 2,  1991 K75S x 2,  1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(05-18-2023, 07:12 AM)Lee Wrote: Even with all the trouble Debbie had with her 2016 gas cap on a couple trips she still likes keyless.
If it would have been possible to delete keyless from my bike when ordering I probably would have done it.

She probably likes it for the same reasons I do.  Big Grin
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(05-18-2023, 10:55 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote:
(05-18-2023, 07:12 AM)Lee Wrote: Even with all the trouble Debbie had with her 2016 gas cap on a couple trips she still likes keyless.

She probably likes it for the same reasons I do.  Big Grin

Wayne, I doubt your reason is the same as Debbie's.  She likes it because Lee is her emergency solver.  What's Lee's signature? Smile  (just kidding, Lee)
2020 R1250 RS
2022 K1600 GT
2022 Kawasaki H2SXSE
Niwot CO USA
(05-22-2023, 01:48 PM)runnerhiker Wrote: Wayne, I doubt your reason is the same as Debbie's.  She likes it because Lee is her emergency solver.  What's Lee's signature? Smile  (just kidding, Lee)

Hahaha ... you're probably right. I don't have a Lee .. Big Grin
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(05-22-2023, 01:48 PM)runnerhiker Wrote: Wayne, I doubt your reason is the same as Debbie's.  She likes it because Lee is her emergency solver.  What's Lee's signature? Smile 

True Smile
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2,  2011 K1300S x 2,  2003 K1200RS x 2,  1991 K75S x 2,  1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
So, today I took the RS in to my dealer and they replaced the cap. All works as it should now. Took about an hour. The best thing is that it was all covered under my BMW extended warranty. That's a pricey bit of kit at over $460 retail for the cap. Very pleased with having purchased the extended warranty.
Been hanging around the shop the last few weeks, as it's not too far from some good roads and my physical therapist. Looks like the bike and I are a go for Virginia. 

So of course all the usual stuff came up over coffee - drive shafts, R18s, and possessed gas caps. One suggestion, that seemed to work on my bike - turn the bike off and on. The impression was that once the computer boards shut off, the cap mechanism wouldn't work as well. I was skeptical, but this has yet to fail me. 

Another recommendation was to simple saw or clip off the locking block on the cap. The cap will still clip shut (the latch still works), but the locking mechanism is disabled. If the bike is out of warranty and the electronics foul up (what are the chances...?), then this seems reasonable. (Photo) (Strikes me as I look at the photo, I still have some cleaning to do.)

"A good man always knows his limitations...."
I tried rebooting the bike several times without any success. It was just absolutely DOA. Dealership had the same experience so they replaced it.
(05-30-2023, 09:00 PM)Ray Wrote: Another recommendation was to simple saw or clip off the locking block on the cap. The cap will still lip shut, but the locking mechanism is disabled.

I like that idea because I don't care if the cap locks.
Maybe use a Dremel  with a cutting wheel.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

If there were a suitable option, I would replace the keyless gas cap. My Bluetooth connections need to be connected in a specific way when the bike is turned on.  Having to do this every time I fill up is a pain.
(05-31-2023, 08:42 AM)TriangleRider Wrote:  My Bluetooth connections need to be connected in a specific way when the bike is turned on.  Having to do this every time I fill up is a pain.
That's an interesting twist to the demons in the gas cap theme as an explanation for irreproducible results. 

My intermittent problems began when I had to replace my stolen phone. I realize the replacement has more powerful radio transmitters and antennae.... Huh. Maybe turning the all the computer boards back on blocks some signals from my phone.

Time for a Faraday box in my tank bag?

Meanwhile, I'll continue to carry the short hacksaw blade I have not had need for in 40 years. If possible, I'd like to keep the bike intact as much as possible for the next owner. 

(And right - if the new one works, then Motorhead's original cap definitely suffered mechanical or electrical failure.)
I'd gladly swap out my keyless cap for an old school conventional keyed cap or even a non locking cap provided it looked like it was OEM or at least like it belonged with the bike. In my over 50 years of riding I never had anyone mess with a fuel tank. Even on the really old school bikes I had with non locking gas caps.
(05-31-2023, 06:40 PM)Motorhead1977 Wrote: I'd gladly swap out my keyless cap for an old school conventional keyed cap or even a non locking cap provided it looked like it was OEM or at least like it belonged with the bike. In my over 50 years of riding I never had anyone mess with a fuel tank. Even on the really old school bikes I had with non locking gas caps.

Lee's dremel will get you your non-locking cap that will still latch - see above. 

I'm with you. I guess gas is like gold in some parts of the world, but it's not lost on me that my car has a non-locking cap and twice the fuel tank.
I guess I should have asked the dealership service department if I could have the dead cap. Doh!