Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2022 Officially "On Order"!
(03-31-2022, 01:20 PM)Pyrrho Wrote: I have a 6 PM appointment with my dealer to sit down and discuss ordering a new RS. I have a shit-load of anxiety about it being able to delivered within a reasonable time now. Ugh.
I have no idea what you are looking for in a bike as far as options and colors but I believe BMW Motorcycles of Richfield (in MN) may have a black and light white one in inventory. Contact Zach if interested in checking. They might even do a dealer transfer if your dealer made the contact so you can purchase from your preferred dealer. Both bikes are listed as in inventory on their website. There is also a used 2020 Austin Yellow RS with 50 miles on it but I believe that has been sold to someone in FL.
Darrell
2016 R1200RS
2022 R1250RT

(03-31-2022, 08:08 PM)darrell Wrote: I have no idea what you are looking for in a bike as far as options and colors but I believe BMW Motorcycles of Richfield (in MN) may have a black and light white one in inventory. Contact Zach if interested in checking. They might even do a dealer transfer if your dealer made the contact so you can purchase from your preferred dealer. Both bikes are listed as in inventory on their website. There is also a used 2020 Austin Yellow RS with 50 miles on it but I believe that has been sold to someone in FL.

Only interested in black storm metallic with the Premium trim package, of which I don't think the bike @ Richfield has. There are two new at dealers in the US that I'm aware of -- one in Huntsville, AL, and the other in Oklahoma City. I asked but my dealer said they don't do transfers. Which is fine, I can take a train or fly out there and ride it back if really needed.
Craig
'20 R1250RS
Previous
: '21 R1250RS, 
'03 K1200RS, '01 R1100RS, '83 R800
So I print out the relevant news articles and forum messages about people saying their dealers are refunding their pre-orders and telling them Motorrad has suspending building bikes and take it to my dealer. The sales manager texted his rep at BMW and was told this isn't true. Dealer also said he wasn't surprised XR buyers aren't getting all their parts because that's one of the harder bikes to sell. Said they had one on the floor for months now and nobody wants it -- they sit on it or take it for a ride, find the ergos so unaccomodating they they move on to a GS or a Multistrada (dealer sells BMW, Ducati, and MV Agusta). They sell RSes but have never had any on the floor; all the RS sales are from people like me who come in off the street and order one.

My deposit is refundable so I'm not out anything. Was happy to not have to pay over MSRP and they even knocked off the setup fees. My black storm metallic beauty will supposedly be in my hands in 2-3 months, so targeting sometime in June. I hope.

I live in apartment building with only street parking, so that gives me at least two months to find a new place to live with a nice garage to park it in.
Craig
'20 R1250RS
Previous
(03-31-2022, 09:02 PM)Pyrrho Wrote: that gives me at least two months to find a new place to live with a nice garage to park it in.
Love that part Smile
R&D department
(03-31-2022, 06:47 PM)ESquared Wrote: The good news of the day is that I got the Hat Trick of surprises when I stopped in to the shop to pick up a cable: 1. The bike is all but ready (end of day today); 2) The MSO (Certif of Origin) arrived this morning; and 3. The Motorrad Connected Cradles arrived. Picking up the bike on Saturday!

The bad news is that in a chat with the owner, he readily acknowledged that parts availability issues are affecting how, when and (sometimes) if bikes are being built. What the specific issues are come down to specific models and options. He mentioned adaptive headlights just as an example. Sounds messy.

Thanks for the info.
We expect a picture soon Big Grin
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2,  2011 K1300S x 2,  2003 K1200RS x 2,  1991 K75S x 2,  1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(04-01-2022, 07:02 AM)Lee Wrote:
(03-31-2022, 06:47 PM)ESquared Wrote: The good news of the day is that I got the Hat Trick of surprises when I stopped in to the shop to pick up a cable: 1. The bike is all but ready (end of day today); 2) The MSO (Certif of Origin) arrived this morning; and 3. The Motorrad Connected Cradles arrived. Picking up the bike on Saturday!

The bad news is that in a chat with the owner, he readily acknowledged that parts availability issues are affecting how, when and (sometimes) if bikes are being built. What the specific issues are come down to specific models and options. He mentioned adaptive headlights just as an example. Sounds messy.

Thanks for the info.

Would that I could figure out how to decipher the 7-pages of instructions on how to reduce/re-size and upload a photo here! Tips welcome (aside from 7-page memo!).
KC Area
(04-01-2022, 07:02 AM)Lee Wrote: Thanks for the info.

Ditto. You know how I like black or grey bikes. Big Grin
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
(03-31-2022, 09:02 PM)Pyrrho Wrote: ... Dealer also said he wasn't surprised XR buyers aren't getting all their parts because that's one of the harder bikes to sell. Said they had one on the floor for months now and nobody wants it -- they sit on it or take it for a ride, find the ergos so unaccomodating they they move on to a GS or a Multistrada (dealer sells BMW, Ducati, and MV Agusta). They sell RSes but have never had any on the floor; all the RS sales are from people like me who come in off the street and order one.

This is not surprising to me. I have hardly ever seen XRs on the showroom floor in all 4 of the dealerships in the Houston area. They are even rarer on the showroom floor than the RS!! At least 2 of the dealers have the occasional RS on the floor. The other two I rarely go to and have never seen either an RS or an XR on the floor. Both models are apparently very niche and have their people. The XR was the first BMW I drooled over before deciding it would be too uncomfortable for my needs, and I ended up with the RS instead.

(03-31-2022, 09:02 PM)Pyrrho Wrote: My black storm metallic beauty will supposedly be in my hands in 2-3 months, so targeting sometime in June. I hope.

Fingers crossed and I do hope that it works out for you and you get the bike even sooner. Looking forward to pictures.

(03-31-2022, 09:02 PM)Pyrrho Wrote: I live in apartment building with only street parking, so that gives me at least two months to find a new place to live with a nice garage to park it in.

Yes, that would be a good idea. It would be a shame to park that new bike on the street; you won't be able to sleep with the worry.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
(04-01-2022, 09:03 AM)Lee Wrote:
Quote:Thanks for the info.

Quote: Would that I could figure out how to decipher the 7-pages of instructions on how to reduce/re-size and upload a photo here! Tips welcome (aside from 7-page memo!).

Text or email me a picture and I'll post it Smile

An offer I can't (and won't) refuse! Thanks, Lee!
KC Area
To keep this thread on topic, discussions about uploading photos moved over to the "Announcements" Forum in the thread "Editing posts for upload to this Forum Community" Wink
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Success on that other topic. This has been keeping me company.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

KC Area
Very nice company to keep. Like the colour.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Looks like a good day to pick up the bike.
Sunny and low to mid 60s.
Lee
Iowa, USA
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Past BMWs: 2016 R1200RS x 2,  2011 K1300S x 2,  2003 K1200RS x 2,  1991 K75S x 2,  1987 K75T x 2, 1984 R100RT
(04-02-2022, 07:23 AM)Grumpy Goat Wrote: Very nice company to keep. Like the colour.

Of the color-ways they've done on the XE, this one's my favorite. Leftover 2020 (ah, the good ol' days!). It might indicate a blue-bike-bias, huh?
KC Area
(04-02-2022, 07:28 AM)Lee Wrote: Looks like a good day to pick up the bike.
Sunny and low to mid 60s.

Yessir. Will squeeze in what I can this afternoon, then on to a family gathering. Even nicer tomorrow, so there's that to look forward to.

Seems like I might want to schedule my break-in service sooner rather than later...
KC Area
(04-02-2022, 08:12 AM)ESquared Wrote: Of the color-ways they've done on the XE, this one's my favorite. Leftover 2020 (ah, the good ol' days!). It might indicate a blue-bike-bias, huh?

Nothing wrong with that. I kind of like darker colours on bikes myself. Smile
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
Update on my order, possibly.

I had today off as a paid holiday so took advantage of it by driving down to Chicago and checking out some dealerships and accessory/apparel stores. Stopped into Motoworks Chicago / BMW of Chicago and mentioned I had ordered an RS from BMW of Milwaukee to their sales manager. He stopped me and said that he was sorry to break it to me, but I wasn't going to get that bike. Whatever my dealer told me was either a lie or they didn't know what they were talking about, he said.

Of particular interest, he said there's only been an allocation of 50 RSes to the US and nobody can get them anymore. I told him my dealer insisted it shouldn't be an issue. He turned one of his monitors around and showed me a BMW interface to a list of all bikes currently on order in the US and their build / delivery status. He pointed to one RS on the list. It was ordered by Tyler's Cycle near Green Bay, WI. He said they must have gotten one that was already built and maybe on it's way to another dealer. I said Tytler's owns the dealership I placed the order from. He looked up the build order on the bike and it's a Storm Black Metallic w/Premium package & matched luggage, just as I had ordered.

He explained they may use the parent company to order and if so (then he fist bumped me) I got the last one.

I'll be stopping in my local dealer tomorrow morning and figuring out what's what.
Craig
'20 R1250RS
Previous
I didn't know you could order color-matched luggage along with the bike, but what he showed you was too specific to your, so you're still in the game, congrats!

I chatted with the owner at Engle on Thurs, and he'd just returned from a BMW Meeting in Austin (Cars, Motorrad, etc.) and it sounds like bikes will be at a trickle throughout most of the summer, but they're "hopeful" that supply chain, logistics, etc., will be much more sorted out by the fall.

Look forward to your dealer's story and any update on "the last RS on the list"!
KC Area
(04-16-2022, 06:04 AM)ESquared Wrote: I didn't know you could order color-matched luggage along with the bike, but what he showed you was too specific to your, so you're still in the game, congrats!

From what I understand the only color you can get matched is Storm Black Metallic (yet another reason why it's the best color). Everything else comes w/the same grey lids you either have to live with or get painted somewhere.

As for my bike...

I stopped in at my dealership yesterday and sat down with my sales guy and the sales manager. I explained what BMW of Chicago told me. Their first response was that they're not aware of any interface that allows a dealer to see another dealer's orders. I told him I could see bikes associated with different dealers in a list, but I didn't look at the headers so that's all I could definitively say I saw -- bikes associated with dealers. There were some other columns of data but all I looked at was the bike description and the name of the dealership and their location.

They said it could have been a list of bikes in inventory and Tytler's in Green Bay already has the bike. They repeated that they've heard not a single peep from BMW that there's any delay on RSes.

The way I put it to the sales manager was that I have two BMW authorized dealers telling me two different stories. One who has my money already and has been around for a year saying everyhting is cool, and another that's been around for 20+ years who's saying you're either lying or don't know what you're doing.

I made it clear I wasn't assigning blame but they have some explaining to do. It's not about the deposit money, it's about the time invested in waiting for it. The exact bike I want (without luggage or sport seat) is in inventory at a dealership in Alabama. I could buy that bike on Tuesday over the phone and be riding it by next Monday.

I'm promised more info Tuesday morning so we'll see what happens. Sounds like I get a bike either way.
Craig
'20 R1250RS
Previous
Sounds like exactly the same attitude I would have and the same things I would have said to the Sales Manager. When spending this much money it pays to be astute and to make them do their jobs.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS